The Mandalorian

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think she was correct in what she posted and I think its correct Disney fires her. I also hate it. Its not handled equally and she was definitely targeted for her beliefs. Like it or not she is a public figure presenting the Disney and Star Wars brand. That said she was also completely correct in the comparison.

I will miss her thickness. She gives me a thickness.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah god forbid we dont want to live in a world filled with insanely hypocritical people running everything.
Disney doesn't owe her a job. She is a public figure representing the company saying shit they don't want to be associated with and apparently refusing to stop doing that. She made her choice and you should respect it.

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
If you're high profile just stay off social media, especially if you're white and conservative.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Disney also constantly posting about her and what shes saying on their Star Wars Facebook page didnt help. They were in a way glorifying and promoting it. Even though people on Facebook didnt care, it was the Twitter scum that want her dead.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Disney doesn't owe her a job. She is a public figure representing the company saying shit they don't want to be associated with and apparently refusing to stop doing that
Jesus thats not the point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm not defending Disney, but it's not a personal account when your profile picture is literally you dressed in your company-provided work outfit and your employer owns the picture.

I realize the pic could be changed, but here's the one I'm seeing in the screenshots. Doesn't look like Cara Dune to me.

1613063451007.png
1613063451007.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How is it not the point? Those are the facts of what happened.
The point is the insane level of hypocrisy.

Maybe when youre fired for making a comment you thought was okay because you heard your coworkers make it you will understand.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are a professional *anything* rule one is to not engage in social media with anything that could even remotely be considered political or controversial. Anyone who works in corporate America has gotten the 'social media' talk at least a half dozen times by now, possibly involving actual training sessions.

Believe whatever you want but if your career involves bathing in the public spotlight then do so with your mouth shut.

Pretty much this. Anybody who works for an entity (Government, major corporation, or an audience) is subject to review. All it takes is a few loud over-zealous people to become vocal about your opinion and you lose your job. I stay off any sites like Facebook, snap-chat, twitter etc..because I work for a government. People just do not realize that their view is not the only view. The earth is flat, the sky is a lake refection and any view has opposition. Regretfully freedom of speech is only enforceable in a court room and so a group of people can indeed have an effect on a person for saying something that caused no harm and is protected by the constitution.

Was she right about what she posted? Who cares. She is protected under the constitution and can write whatever she wants to, as long as it does not have a actual cause and effect that harms an individual or group of individuals. Regretfully the protection only extends towards jail time and a company does not have to retain her. She should have just stayed off public media unless her goal was ....this.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Whether it should have led to her getting fired or not is something people will disagree on, but surely not the fact of how it would be received. I doubt any studio will have much of a sense of humor about mask trutherism shit in general given how much the industry has been impacted by covid and the shutdowns. She surely knew that. Add the super tastful and definitely accurate holocaust comparison and it seems more like a back and forth that we're only seeing part of.

The left: If you don't take woke classes and account for your complicity in white supremacy, then your subconconcious racism will contribute to systemic racism and continue the genocide of black and brown people.

The Left: Just because Liberals on MSNBC are talking about drone striking conservatives and Democrats in Congress are looking to pass laws to literally hunt them down, and we're creating blacklists to lock them from the economy to ruin their lives, doesn't mean you can go and compare it to what typically leads up to genocide!

The fucking hypocrisy is so god damn absurd.

Her message was LITERALLY don't let people make you hate your neighbor. Because that's how the Nazis were able to accomplish the holocaust, they dehumanized a group of people and made people hate their neighbors. After fucking YEARS of even the NYT comparing conservatives to Nazis--to say that what she said is distasteful is fucking ridiculous. What she said was a great message, its one everyone should take to heart. If it had been said by a Liberal, do you honestly think it would be 'distasteful"?

• 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The point is the insane level of hypocrisy.

Maybe when youre fired for making a comment you thought was okay because you heard your coworkers make it you will understand.
It doesn't look like that is what happened here. It looks more like she made a series of controversial comments stretching back months that Disney must have intervened given she took down previous comments. I don't think she should have been fired. Mocked sure, but fired no. But I have different standards than Disney.

Are you arguing that she wasn't aware of the expectations of Disney? That this just came out of the blue? It really doesn't seem like that at all.

• 2Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If you are a professional *anything* rule one is to not engage in social media with anything that could even remotely be considered political or controversial. Anyone who works in corporate America has gotten the 'social media' talk at least a half dozen times by now, possibly involving actual training sessions.

Believe whatever you want but if your career involves bathing in the public spotlight then do so with your mouth shut.

The problem with this is it only applies to one side. If you're the right political persuasion you can say virulently racist, terrible shit and be fine. The issue with that kind of censorship is it skews perception of the population as a whole.

If your rule applied to everyone, it would be one thing--but it doesn't.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The left: If you don't take woke classes and account for your complicity in white supremacy, then your subconconcious racism will contribute to systemic racism and continue the genocide of black and brown people.

The Left: Just because Liberals on MSNBC are talking about drone striking conservatives and Democrats in Congress are looking to pass laws to literally hunt them down, and we're creating blacklists to lock them from the economy to ruin their lives, doesn't mean you can go and compare it to what typically leads up to genocide!

The fucking hypocrisy is so god damn absurd.

Her message was LITERALLY don't let people make you hate your neighbor. Because that's how the Nazis were able to accomplish the holocaust, they dehumanized a group of people and made people hate their neighbors. After fucking YEARS of even the NYT comparing conservatives to Nazis--to say that what she said is distasteful is fucking ridiculous. What she said was a great message, its one everyone should take to heart. If it had been said by a Liberal, do you honestly think it would be 'distasteful"?
Her message was that people imposing mask regulations are comparable to Nazis. That's just gross. If you want to go ahead and throw whatever examples you want of left wing people undermining confidence in public safety measures using similar comparisons, go ahead, that's just as gross. Disney should fire those people too, should they choose to do so. Otherwise they should be mocked.

• 3Picard
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users