The Martial Arts Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm a fan ofFuji gis. They're not sexy like Shoyorolls, but they're no-nonsense, durable, don't shrink much and only cost $70. Hard to beat that.

Since the thread is partly for introductions, I'm a bjj purple belt under Romero Cavalcanti and Lucas Lepri (blue from Cobrinha). I also have a 3rd dan in Aikido (yeah, yeah...) and did a few years of karate.

I used to subscribe to the theory that training was all the conditioning you needed, but as I move through my 30's I'm revising that opinion. I've had a lot of trouble with my knees (4 meniscus surgeries) and find that doing weight and mobility training, along with getting more rest than I'd otherwise like is really important.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Only reason I was asking is because, as some of you know, i'm not the biggest guy around and I find that people tend to assume i'm incapable of lifting objects that weigh more than 6 ounces/etc. so dunno if they'd just laugh me out of there, in a sense.
Wizardhawk, self conscious?

If you go to a gym to sign up, and the instructor laughs at you, it's because he doesn't want to stay in business and doesn't want money.

Look up some places near your area, go to a class, they'll usually offer you a free lesson. No one's going to laugh at you, and they might not expect (my instructor let me) you to free roll on the first night. You certainly shouldn't do any actually striking sparring on the first night.

Quite literally the legend of modern Juduka and BJJ is:
Some small frail guy (Kano Jigoro, and Helio Gracie, respectively) attempts to learn Japanese Ju Jitsu and finds the moves require to much physical strength, so he goes and modifies the techniques to suite his weaker stature.

A big school will have people of all different sizes, and quite likely someone of similar build to you. I'm not saying master X Martial Art and you can beat down 300 lbs'rs, but the concept is technique over physical prowess.

So who here has been choked out?

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
So who here has been choked out?
Not yet, I have pretty good awareness of my own consciousnesses....I think. I don't know how else to describe it. I train with a couple guys who get choked out at least once a month. One of them isn't a stubborn idiot who refuses to tap, he just said doesn't feel it coming on some times.

We have had conversations about it as a group before. The best competitor at my school who wins everything he enters has a vicious tapping reflex to certain submissions. I think everyone has a different sensibility when it comes to this stuff. I am fully cognitive to the very edge of blacking out it seems.

Shoulder locks and arm bars get a reaction out of me however.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I've been fully choked out once, it was intentional - I actually requested my former professor do it, wanted to know what it was like.

He overheard me talking about it and said he recommended we experience it at some point, so he went around and put it us all out. He started with me but he didn't hold it for long enough just as I started blacking out he released and I never went under. So he went around and demonstrated on everyone else and than me again (since I said I didn't go out). The second time, at some point through it I forgot I was even being choked, everything was tingling. I heard some people trying to talk to me, I could kind of see bloby silhouettes, felt like a dream. So I remember trying to get up thinking I was about to do some training, all the sudden the room started spinning rapidly and I started getting hot flashes or something, I remember thinking "well shit there's nothing I can do about this". - Just being content that I was going to die and it wasn't my responsibility to answer the people talking to me. Then I just came to, it's was pretty crazy kinda like a drug experience, but I don't regret experiencing it at least once (granted I appreciate the danger). Since then I've come close but I have a pretty good understanding of how far I can tolerate a choke.

I competed at the IBJJF Pan Ams when I was a white belt. In front of 2,000 people I got choked out by an ezekiel from inside my own closed guard. =(
Two weeks ago I almost got a Blue belt with the same choke in his guard. It's funny because some other blue belt keeps insisting on explaining to me that I can't submit people inside their guards even though there's Youtube videos, and techniques specific to submitting from inside someone's guard, the Professor even teaches them. I just nod and smile though, everyone's got their opinions and usually the blue belts have good advice anyway, it's just when people talk in absolutes, and yet there's a hundreds of little variations on every move, and still evolving methods which often defy normal practices.

I'm very interested in practicing some wrist locks, it seems like they're legal in a lot of tournaments. I want to do another one sometime end of Dec/sometime in Jan if I can find one in NY around that time (next I see is in early Dec not enough time to prep). Going to try to cut to 169 I think, maybe 159.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Technically you can submit someone from inside there own guard but it is risky especially with a choke since your arms would be stretched out to reach there neck which could get you arm barred easily.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Technically you can submit someone from inside there own guard but it is risky especially with a choke since your arms would be stretched out to reach there neck which could get you arm barred easily.
Yeah. It's technically possible but shouldn't work on an opponent that knows how to respond properly (I fucked it up bigtime in my match, and never since =). Generally speaking, any choke you apply from inside your opponent's closed guard sets you up at very high risk for an armbar if you insist on it.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Where do you live Wizard? ill recommend a school.
South Florida, Broward County. I guess the big one in the area that trains for UFC and whatnot is American Top Team. Also, yes, I might be a bit self conscious. It's annoying being treated like a 12 year old by people that i'm actually stronger and in better shape than them just because i've got a small frame.

Ideally I want to eventually get to about 170-175.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
South Florida, Broward County. I guess the big one in the area that trains for UFC and whatnot is American Top Team. Also, yes, I might be a bit self conscious. It's annoying being treated like a 12 year old by people that i'm actually stronger and in better shape than them just because i've got a small frame.

Ideally I want to eventually get to about 170-175.
Oh I can appreciate an image complex, my query is why you have an image complex but not a "Maybe I should rethink posting this" complex when it comes to all of your previous escapades.

True, I'd say there's at least some risk in being countered/escaping with many submissions, especially when extended so far; just not the point the blue belt was making.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So I got double promoted over the course of the past weeks, not sure if the Professor is correcting my skill placement, or the Gogoplata attempt I had on someone or what.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So I got double promoted over the course of the past weeks, not sure if the Professor is correcting my skill placement, or the Gogoplata attempt I had on someone or what.
Is there any chance the professor has his eye on a really nice Christmas gift for his wife?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Is there any chance the professor has his eye on a really nice Christmas gift for his wife?
I pay the same price regardless, and I'm locked in for a year.

Anyway I'm competing in another Tournament in a bit over two weeks, I don't think I'll be able to water cut for it since it's a 3 hr drive and I probably won't take the day before off, so the next two weeks are going to really suck.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I missed cut by a lbs and 1/2 I should've run a mile before weighing in, but I was so beat from the drive and sure I'd finished the cut, just said fuck it and rolled at the higher weight. Subsequently got rocked by harder competition than expected.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Tap a blue belt, Spend 30 minutes straight, rolling with a big heavyset fairly new white belt put 10-12 sub attempts on him only to lose in the end.

Humility, no ego.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Think I'm going on Hiatus from Muay Thai for a while, my jobs been stressing me to shit. I'm finding it difficult to even get to Jiu Jitsu as it is, rolling is very cathartic for me but having to wade through instruction and be a solid training partner is to difficult when I'm so anxious so sometimes I've been just letting myself distress completely and not do anything, which is kind of upsetting that I can't get my mind in the right place--it just doesn't seem feasible for me to handle my career and two distinctly different and challenging Martial Arts at the same time, I think I'd be better focusing my effort on rolling as I feel like I'm not representing my school like I should, and Jiu Jitsu brings me the most joy of the two. I hope my Kru understands, I really do enjoy Muay Thai and honestly it's probably the more legit of the two Martial Arts in terms of winning a fight, but I just want to focus and calm myself right now.