The Martial Arts Thread

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
It's ok, I got destroyed at EUROs this year. It was my first time at a tournament that large. I'll be back next year!

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Pretty great week for me and my grappling buddies. My training partner faught Cobrinha's kid in the third round of the pans and did really really well. Prompting an invite by conbrinha to the worlds A-team. My old coach won gold at purple masters. I didn't compete at the pans but I have my first competition in more than a year coming up saturday! Pretty excited!

This is my training partner and great pal "Clintch" Cooper vs cobrinha's kid. Clint also got from props from Ricardo Franjinha Miller on instagram for his good match. Even though he lost he was on cloud 9 from the complements.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
This is buddy clint omaplota'ing someone at pans.

gJwbSgm.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I started BJJ training last Thursday. Today was my second class and I puked on the mat. I am 5'9'' and about 165lbs and I never really viewed my body with any particular distaste, but I hate my body right now. Or rather, I hate my mega-bad cardio. How do I fix my shitty cardio so that I can actually learn BJJ by doing it instead of watching other people doing it while sucking wind?

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I started BJJ training last Thursday. Today was my second class and I puked on the mat. I am 5'9'' and about 165lbs and I never really viewed my body with any particular distaste, but I hate my body right now. Or rather, I hate my mega-bad cardio. How do I fix my shitty cardio so that I can actually learn BJJ by doing it instead of watching other people doing it while sucking wind?
Funny you should mention that.

This is my post from Reddit today.This happened to me Yesterday : bjj

Quoting my little explanation for the lazy.

Some backround. Ive been training a little over six years.

When I started I had very bad asthma (hospitalized multiple times for it) and was 219 pounds at 5'10". I was about as far from an athlete as a person can be. There was a running joke that quitting before me was shameful.

The lowest ive been to compete now was 152 pounds. My asthma is mostly under control. I turn 30 in 3 weeks and ive never been younger. Without jiu jitsu I would proably still be an overweight mess with mad asthma and who knows what other health problems.

Im not a world beater. I have never won a gold medal. But I show up, I train, I compete, and I just refused to quit even if it kills me.
The answer to your question is keep going. Go to class when you feel like shit. Get on the mats and do what you can.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
It's a drastically different type of cardio than anything else. I've had marathon runners almost throw up on me during their first class. Like Grumpus said, you just have to keep showing up.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Congrats, Grumpus. Welcome to the Grape Ape club.

As far as cardio, the most important thing you can do is to think of breathing as a skill. If you're ever holding your breath and clenching your diaphragm, you're doing it wrong. Your goal should be to maintaining deep, regular breathing regardless of how you're trying to scramble, who is sitting on your chest, or how you're being choked. Once you can do that you'll be both getting a lot more oxygen and wasting a lot less of it due to useless muscle tension.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The only thing that I have done that mimics aggressive bjj cardio, and I mean competition pace cardio, is wind sprints.

Regular every day training cardio will just come with time. Push your limits to a reasonable extent. Puking is to far. If I don't think I can do another round I usually do one more round. Also the puking thing happened when I first started but it was a diet thing. I eat 2 hours before training. Any later then that and my stomach will always get upset regardless of pace.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Oh and small tip. Work your grips strength. Its so easy to improve and makes a huge difference. I have a VERY strong grip. And it cost me like $1.00.

109271.jpg

Get one of these. You can get them at every dollar store. Bring it to work or use it when your sitting around watching TV. I open and close my hand around it quickly and squeeze hard until I feel a good pump in my forearm or until it starts to gas then I hold my hand closed around it as long as I can. Then switch hands until you cant keep your hand closed for more then 10-20 seconds.

30 minutes of that a day and your grips will be monstrous in a month.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Congrats on the purple belt Grump, sounds like a hell of a journey. I am finally starting my first official class tonight after work after having stopped by multiple gyms. 6 weeks unlimited to see how it goes, hopefully I'm in it for the long haul.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Oh and small tip. Work your grips strength. Its so easy to improve and makes a huge difference. I have a VERY strong grip. And it cost me like $1.00.

109271.jpg

Get one of these. You can get them at every dollar store. Bring it to work or use it when your sitting around watching TV. I open and close my hand around it quickly and squeeze hard until I feel a good pump in my forearm or until it starts to gas then I hold my hand closed around it as long as I can. Then switch hands until you cant keep your hand closed for more then 10-20 seconds.

30 minutes of that a day and your grips will be monstrous in a month.
Noted.