The Martian (2015)

supertouch_sl

shitlord
After Rich Purnell (Donald Glover) explains the new trajectory, Sanders (Jeff Daniels) asks Vincent if the math checks out and the thread is just kind of left hanging. I just don't remember him rejecting the plan.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
No it isn't. There is a whole scene of them weighing the life of 1 vs 5/6 and Sean Bean doing his whole appeal to emotion and calling Teddy an asshole or something.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Saw this today in4Dand it was a pretty nifty experience. Having the seats move around as the rover bumped across the landscape or having air blow into your face whenever an airlock pressurized etc. made for a very entertaining experience. Certainly not the sort of thing I would do for every movie, but it worked for this show.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great movie, 9/10. Ridley Scott does good work when he has good source material to work with.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I liked it a lot. It was about as faithful to the book as you could get with a movie, just with a bunch of stuff left out, obviously for time, which I understand. As has been said by a few others, there's only one issue I had with it.

The rescue scene at the end felt way too hollywood for a movie/book that was otherwise very true to realism. It didn't ruin the movie, but from a guy who loved the book and is a science nerd it was very jarring.

Otherwise I thought it was very well done.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Somehow I'm not sure the dramatic effect of a scene like this would have done it:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I loved this film. It was very gripping throughout the movie. It has the right amount of levity at times to take off some of the stress so it could build it back up. It was also a beautiful movie. Gorgeous shots of the panoramas and vista's. I have come to expect that from Scott and he did not disappoint. I will be buying this on Blu-Ray. Also my theater was pretty full.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That is good to hear. Like others have said my theater was basically empty at our Saturday showing. The had The Walk on 3D IMAX so we only saw this on regular screen.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Saw it yesterday, I read and enjoyed the book and enjoyed the film, wife enjoyed it also. Think they had a nice balance with taking stuff out and the pacing was great. The normaly 50% empty 3pm matinee was as near as damnit full, so anecdotally its doing fine in the uk too.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Loved the movie and the 3d was fantastic. Eveyone nailed their characters from the book. Reserved our seats friday night and only 4 seats had been reserved. When we got to the theater saturday afternoon it was full.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Loved the movie. I thought the 3D added nothing and wish I'd saved the $ and watched in 2D. Great mix of hollywood and the book. I did like the last scene in the book. Laughed my ass off in fact. I wish it was in the movie but maybe it will make the Blu-Ray. I'll be buying this when it comes out for sure.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For what it's worth, this movie wasn't shot for traditional Imax screens. The best you could do was the local version of Imax. I went to a regal theater, so RPX was as good as it got. And I'm glad I saw it that way. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Movie was good. Would recommend to watch in the cinema for the visual spectacle. Thought the 3D added nothing though as usual.

Anyone else during the manual spaceship docking bit at the end was thinking, 'Hey, I saw this scene in another space film recently with Matt Damon and Jessica Chastian and they are going to seriously fuck this up and end in disaster!'

Reading though the book now. Good stuff.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Loved the movie but damn they changed a ton. Drill a bunch of holes in the roof of the rover but show no reason why. Zero explanation of why the Airlock went bad. No sandpit near the end. And the superhero bit at the end was cheesy. I did love the very end with the classroom part that was not in the book and the rest of the montage.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The drilling holes in the roof seemed logical. As a builder, I assumed that he didn't have a saw up there, so he used a drill to weaken a line by adding holes. Almost like the perforated paper tear line when you get a check from your company. As my assumption correct as far as scientific description goes?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
In the book he did something with the space. In the movie they didn't show nor tell why he had to do it. And the plastic they used to show as canvas looked more like painters plastic, the entire rover portion of the movie was handwaved completely. Both with the testing trips and the big trip at the end. Great movie, but read the book if you like to know why some things happened.

It was well worth the $8.00 bucks though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Finally got a chance to see it, easily one of the best sci-fi movies ever. Regarding the ending, I really wasn't bothered very much by it. I think the camera angles and cinematography made it look like this ridiculous action sequence that they should have toned down a bit in order to portray it as more-like-something-an-astronaut-would-actually-try.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think they did a fantastic job with the pacing of the film compared to the source material. I didn't really miss any of the stuff they trimmed or cut. Well done screenwriter, director, and editor.