The Martian (2015)

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I paid $18 for an RPX ticket for the first showing tonight. They also game me a patch I'll never use. Neat? Pic of patch in spoiler tag.

oNnNCGM.jpg
When i worked at NASA we would get patches for every mission. Still have every damn one of them, i'd totally love to have this patch as well... not sure if the theater i'll be going to will be giving this stuff away. Actually pretty sure they wont, damn Palladium
frown.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, wow. That movie was excellent. I can't stress that enough. I'm not going to spoil anything. The movie was longer than expected. Probably around 2 hours and 10 minutes. That isn't an exact, but the previews started at 8pm, and the movie finally ended at 10:47pm. For the record, there is no after credits scene.

There were some decent chuckles during the film. Usually a smart ass thing said or an action taken in the face of adversity. Lots of "sciency stuff". It seemed extremely believable. Matt Damon knocked it out of the park yet again. Donald Glover played a great character as well. Definitely a nerd, but nothing at all like his Troy from Community self.

I would happily watch this again. Might buy the bluray also.

I'd give it an A+. I seriously considered clapping after it was over.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I saw this movie tonight. I wanted to go see Rifftrax Live but the projector broke so they gave me a free movie ticket and The Martian was going to be showing soon, so I went to go see that.

I don't know a lot about science. Or space. So everything was very spooky to me. There's a lot of very dramatic moments where I was extremely anxious. Not the good kind of anxiety. But also, I was doped up on sugar from consuming popcorn and candy during the thirty minutes of waiting before it started, so that probably didn't have helped.

I wouldn't go see it a second time. It wasn't a bad movie, but it just wasn't too my tastes. I'm sure if you like space and sciencey stuff you'll like it. Jeff Daniels was probably my favorite in that movie, though I also really liked Matt Damon.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I really enjoyed it. Pretty much as faithful an adaptation as you could get. For the most part, they kept the science in there, just abbreviated due to time. Was really glad to see the humour and smart ass tone was kept since my one big worry was they'd try and make it more of an ultra serious movie.

The one part I disliked, pretty much hated since it seemed to really undermine everything else in the movie was:

The ironman thing at the end. Wasn't so much the change from the book as just how idiotic it was and completely at odds with the realistic science portrayed in the rest of the movie. You can clear see how out of control he is, being blown all over the place, yet he magically goes in the right direction and speed needed. I found it really irksome.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I really enjoyed it. Pretty much as faithful an adaptation as you could get. For the most part, they kept the science in there, just abbreviated due to time. Was really glad to see the humour and smart ass tone was kept since my one big worry was they'd try and make it more of an ultra serious movie.

The one part I disliked, pretty much hated since it seemed to really undermine everything else in the movie was:

The ironman thing at the end. Wasn't so much the change from the book as just how idiotic it was and completely at odds with the realistic science portrayed in the rest of the movie. You can clear see how out of control he is, being blown all over the place, yet he magically goes in the right direction and speed needed. I found it really irksome.
The funny thing is, as someone who isn't super interested in "real" science, that was one of my favorite parts. But I feel like the movie should've been geared more towards you than towards me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the 3D, and I linked a review saying it was worth it earlier, but I wouldn't say that it is necessary. I barely noticed it really, which is good and bad I guess.

I loved the movie as well, but I'm worried it isn't going to do all that well at the box office. There were only 20'ish people in the theater. Sure it was an advanced screening, but there are usually a lot more people than that.

They obviously cut out a ton of stuff that was in the book, and for the most part I was fine with that. I even thought Matt Damon did a great job. I don't feel like I should have to spoiler this because if you watched the trailer or ever watched a Hollywood movie you know what is going to happen, but I'll do it to be safe:
I thought Damon did a great job of conveying the emotion he'd (probably) been repressing all that time when he finally cracks a little when he hears a voice for the first time, and the real possibility of his rescue is approaching. I felt a little choked up there too.

Highly recommend seeing this.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah. I can still get a decent seat for 7:30 tonight. Looks like it will probably just about sell out though.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, my theater was mostly empty as well. I arrived an hour early, and for the first 15 minutes, I was the only person in the theater. After all was said and done, around 35 total in a theater that can hold a few hundred. Really a poor showing, but that definitely didn't take away from the movie at all.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Wouldn't be shocked if Sicario beats this actually, even with the UCC shooting throwing a pall over the weekend. I hope not, we need more hard sci fi.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Saw the matinee today. Theater was about half full. Really liked it. Damon being a smart ass was awesome. I cannot imagine it being very good if he was all serious.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There are still a bunch of seats left in the show I'm going to tonight. Pretty surprising.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Neil deGrasse Tyson ?@neiltyson 6minutes ago
Evidence that the @MartianMovie is fantasy: All who make important decisions are scientifically literate.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Great movie. It's weird seeing parts that took up pages and pages just breeze by in 20 seconds on the screen.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but something must have been lost in translation in the last act. The administrators are discussing whether or not to notify the remaining crew members of Mark's survival and then Sanders (Jeff Daniels) suddenly forces Mitch (Sean Bean) to resign. Why?

Also, why are the Hermes crew members worried about the legal consequences of breaking protocol and defying orders when the director of NASA approved the plan to rescue Mark?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
...and then Sanders (Jeff Daniels) suddenly forces Mitch (Sean Bean) to resign. Why?
Because Sean Bean was the one that "snuck" the crew members the equations and logistics to slingshot around the world and go rescue Marc. Otherwise they would have landed, and he would have died waiting a year for the next ship to take off.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Perhaps they couldn't find a way to kill off Sean Bean's character, so resorted to just having him resign as the closest applicable substitute.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When nerds get to write a nerd movie, the red shirts and Sean Bean get to live.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good movie and Matt Daemon makes a fantastic Watney but the movie felt very... "Americanized" for lack of a better term. The book is clearly for nerds and people who appreciate technical complexity delivered in an eloquent manner.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but something must have been lost in translation in the last act. The administrators are discussing whether or not to notify the remaining crew members of Mark's survival and then Sanders (Jeff Daniels) suddenly forces Mitch (Sean Bean) to resign. Why?

Also, why are the Hermes crew members worried about the legal consequences of breaking protocol and defying orders when the director of NASA approved the plan to rescue Mark?
NASA had not approved the rescue mission.