5/26 DALLAS, TX @ GAS MONKEY
5/27 KANSAS CITY, MO @ RIOT ROOM
5/28 DES MOINES, IA @ VAL AIR BALLROOM
5/29 CREST HILL, IL @ BADA BREW
5/30 CUDAHY, WI @ METAL BAR
5/31 CLEVELAND, OH @ AGORA

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just kinda stumbled across this by accident, but holy shit!

Extreme Noise Terror, Phobia, Nomads mini 5-day tour:

4.3.15 - Anaheim, CA - Chain Reaction
4.4.15 - Tempe, AZ - Yucca Tap Room
4.5.15 - Albuquerque, NM - Launchpad
4.6.15 - Dallas, TX - Club Dada
4.7.15 - Houston, TX - Fitzgeralds

Troll_sl

shitlord
Sepultura's coming to town. I'm so going. And it's even on a night I have off.

Well, what's left of Sepultura.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I may have to check that out also. I haven't seen Sepultura since...jesus, just after Chaos A.D. came out?

xzi

Mouthbreather
Man, I used to love the shit out of Mudvayne. Came on pandora last night and it's been stuck in my head since.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been listening to heavy metal lately on iheartradio in the gym. It's not my thing (up until now). I listen to hardcore hip hop. On a whim, I made Metallica radio, and all of the sudden, I'm listening to metal all the time. For the last few weeks, I've been listening to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, and Killswitch Engage.

I'm going to say that KSE is my favorite metal band. I didn't even pay attention to them at first, but the songs started becoming the ones I wanted to hear. I had to get past my prejudices, namely that metal will send you to hell (thanks Mom and Dad), but I've been surprised how deep the lyrics have been for a lot of the metal songs (including KSE).

It's kind of weird, not liking a certain type of music, and then developing a deep appreciation for it all of the sudden. Also, how does KSE sound like crap without Howard Jones, and how does he sound like crap in The Devil That You Know?

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I've been listening to heavy metal lately on iheartradio in the gym. It's not my thing (up until now). I listen to hardcore hip hop. On a whim, I made Metallica radio, and all of the sudden, I'm listening to metal all the time. For the last few weeks, I've been listening to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, and Killswitch Engage.

I'm going to say that KSE is my favorite metal band. I didn't even pay attention to them at first, but the songs started becoming the ones I wanted to hear. I had to get past my prejudices, namely that metal will send you to hell (thanks Mom and Dad), but I've been surprised how deep the lyrics have been for a lot of the metal songs (including KSE).

It's kind of weird, not liking a certain type of music, and then developing a deep appreciation for it all of the sudden. Also, how does KSE sound like crap without Howard Jones, and how does he sound like crap in The Devil That You Know?
Give this a spin next time you're at the gym.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I will try to not be to much of a neckbeard lyrical. You seem to like thrash and some melodic technical stuff thrown in. I give you

https://youtu.be/FADd5rAznOc

Thrash metal with some harsh but clear vocals, pretty damn good overall.

fuck it piece of shit wont embed. ffs

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I like metalcore, for some reason. When I type in KSE in iheartradio, it pulls up the other metalcore bands.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What ever happened to upbeat heavy metal like this? What's with all of the growling? Some of the groups you guys have beautiful music and voices, and then they start growling and yelling and ruin it. Why does it have to be so dark and satanic? Where's the uplifting and upbeat stuff? I want to hear some triumphant guitar hero metal.

Maybe I'm listening to too much lately and need a break.

Oo__sl

shitlord
If you can stomach power metal, then there's your endless supply of extravagant guitar heroes and clean vocals (ie. no growling). It's often very formulaic though, unlike say that 70s metal.

Some specimens here.

Stratovarius were derided as playing flower metal:

From the department 'almost certainly not satanic'
tongue.png

And one more

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Listening to a guy new to metal equate low, growling vocals to dark and satanic is absolutely hilarious and mirrors your christian upbringing. Unless you're getting into black metal and perhaps some anti-cosmic satanist metal (Dissection comes to mind), almost none of it is satanic in the least. Even Ozzy Osbourne, seen as the devil himself, is a practicing Christian.

The vocal style is exactly that, a style. If you don't like it, that's ok, but it's the same thing as choosing to play clean on guitar vs. using distortion.

If you want to listen to a band that did it right for a long time, check out Opeth. It might be too progressive for you, but its one of the first bands that comes to mind that could blend both clean and heavy growling vocals in a seamless and wonderful manner. Their new stuff is shit though.

That's the trend in metal though. "Their new stuff is shit". You can say that about almost any metal band that's been around for 10+ years.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Listening to a guy new to metal equate low, growling vocals to dark and satanic is absolutely hilarious and mirrors your christian upbringing. Unless you're getting into black metal and perhaps some anti-cosmic satanist metal (Dissection comes to mind), almost none of it is satanic in the least. Even Ozzy Osbourne, seen as the devil himself, is a practicing Christian.

The vocal style is exactly that, a style. If you don't like it, that's ok, but it's the same thing as choosing to play clean on guitar vs. using distortion.

If you want to listen to a band that did it right for a long time, check out Opeth. It might be too progressive for you, but its one of the first bands that comes to mind that could blend both clean and heavy growling vocals in a seamless and wonderful manner. Their new stuff is shit though.

That's the trend in metal though. "Their new stuff is shit". You can say that about almost any metal band that's been around for 10+ years.
People are surprised when a Black guy says he's listened to metal, but you guys have been playing Metallica in the weight room for the last two decades (along with other bands). I can listen to all music (but country).

Growing up, my parents had three rules (outside of getting good grades):

1- No drugs
2- No Dungeons & Dragons (because kids turned to the occult through it, and then became satanists)
3- No heavy metal (a sure way to satanism)

I didn't do #1, #2 they budged on after some talks, and #3 was not allowed. As far as my parents were concerned, a kid that played D&D and listened to heavy metal had already sold his soul. Anyway, groups like Black Sabbath were for sure satanic.

I've been listening to Black Sabbath and studying their lyrics, and I don't see them as satanists. Look at God is dead? for example.

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is I like earlier metal better, without the hissing and growling. I like to hear the words. Led Zeppelin crossed so many genres that I'm not sure they could be classified as a heavy metal band. They are more like a music band that occasionally played heavy metal.

Sorry to sound like the old guy in the room talking about the good old days, but the older stuff does indeed seem better. It's like with hip hop, it hasn't been any good in the last 20 years. People say they don't like hip hop, but they are listening to this bullshit now.