The Metal Thread

Seventh

Golden Squire
You lucky bastard! Testament and F&J in one night...

and overkill too? damn u
smile.png

HF!
Crazy good show.

- Holy fucking shit Overkill. WHAT a beast of a set - tight as hell and just fantastic. I'd say they upstaged Testament, which is a hard thing to do. Crowd went bananas and the pits were huge, whole band sounded monstrous.
- Flotsam was good, but Escape from Within wouldn't be my first choice of live songs to play at a thrash gig. Nothing off Drift either.
frown.png

- Testament killed it as expected, but Gene Holgan must have paid the sound guy to make his kick drum sound like a dubstep mix, because it was all I could hear. Otherwise awesome though.

+ Oblig unrelated metal vid:

Seventh

Golden Squire
Probably old news for a lot of you, but tonight was the first time I ever heard Soilwork. Pretty badass and fun to jam on the drums.
You're in for a treat then, because their catalog is full of awesome. Check out Scar Symmetry if you dig them, they're in the same general vein.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
I have a question for you metal heads

do you consider straight edge / hardcore in the same music metal category

here are some examples of music I listen to I consider hardcore / metal.

love the drum's in this song

and this bad is old and from back in the day old...

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hardcore is considered punk as far as I know... if you're talking about Black Flag, Dead Kennedys type shit. That's definitely punk, which is very different from metal.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
Crazy good show.

- Holy fucking shit Overkill. WHAT a beast of a set - tight as hell and just fantastic. I'd say they upstaged Testament, which is a hard thing to do. Crowd went bananas and the pits were huge, whole band sounded monstrous.
- Flotsam was good, but Escape from Within wouldn't be my first choice of live songs to play at a thrash gig. Nothing off Drift either.
frown.png

- Testament killed it as expected, but Gene Holgan must have paid the sound guy to make his kick drum sound like a dubstep mix, because it was all I could hear. Otherwise awesome though.
Yeah this was a great tour. I saw them a few nights before you did (Silver Spring on Feb 12th). I've seen Overkill and Testament many times and they never disappoint. Overkill is better when they do a headlining set though. With 16 records they have so much material that cramming it into an opening slot is hard. And yeah Gene Hoglan's bass drum was so fucking loud I thought I was going to shit my pants by the end from all of the vibration. I was also on the rail right in front of Eric, so Alex's parts were completely inaudible, which sucked. The prize for me was seeing Flotsam & Jetsam as they were one of the very old thrash bands I'd never seen. They were great. We got the same setlist plus Hard On You, and they killed it. The place was mostly full when they played and to my surprise the crowd LOVED them. 4ARM played too, but they seemed rather generic.

Seventh

Golden Squire
4ARM played too, but they seemed rather generic.
4Arm's guitarist (Johnny, the asian dude) is a friend of mine. Super nice guy and they are beyond excited to be on that tour. They traveled a long way (they're Australian), so it's extremely cool to see the crowd get into them.

F&J was a bucket list band to see for me too, I grew up riding my BMX bike around to NPFD as a kid. I was hoping they'd play Smoked Out, but other than that it was a great set.

Edit: Not sure if it was the same at your show, but during Overkill's set Bobby kept running off stage after pretty much every verse. Turns out he had walking pneumonia, and they had an oxygen tank setup for him just off to the side. The fact that he even performed at all is admirable, and bringing a fucking oxygen tank on stage so that you can breathe between verses is, imo, metal as fuck. \m/

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah my spot on the rail was right in front of your friend. He shredded pretty well!

Bobby was doing the same thing at our show. I was at an angle where I could see him on the side of the stage looking like he was dying. Good thing you saw them when you did....they have since dropped off the tour. Yours was the last show they played.

I have a question for you metal heads

do you consider straight edge / hardcore in the same music metal category

here are some examples of music I listen to I consider hardcore / metal.
I guess if you want the genre-nazi answer, check wikipedia which filesPoison The Wellunder "Hardcore punk, experimental rock, post-hardcore, metalcore". But I'm not an expert on that, all genres of music can have good stuff. This is allegedly some retarded name for a sub-genre calledmathcore. It is heavy as shit though. Could you pictures these guys more likely to share a bill with Bad Religion (clearly punk) or Slayer (clearly metal). Tough call.
tongue.png

tongue.png

Sinnes_sl

shitlord
Crazy good show.

frown.png

Too bad about Flotsam's choice of tunes! And yea Overkill is the shit live, saw them back in '05 and it was wicked
smile.png

Ghost video was released today:

Animus_sl

shitlord
Been digging the new Converge. It's almost like a metal-genre mixtape. The guitarist and drummer own. I just wish the vocalist would shut the fuck up every once in a while.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can't wait to see these fuckers again..

I feel like this album gets lost amongst Still Life, BWP, and Ghost Reveries sometimes. It truly is amazing.