The Metal Thread

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
Saw Katatonia & Opeth tonight. Holy FUCK what a show. Opeth killed it.

Ghost of Perdition, White Cluster, Demon of the Fall, Deliverance, Reverie/Harlequin Forest were the highlights, and of course they finished with Blackwater Park. I wish they'd have played The Moor and Baying of the Hounds, but eh whatever, shit was still amazing.
You remember what the rest of the setlist was? I'm seeing the same show this Friday and I hope they play a good mix of old/new/clean songs. So fucking pumped to finally see Opeth live.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
Setlist.fm shows the set list as:

The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
Hope Leaves
Atonement
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
H?xprocess
Demon of the Fall
(acoustic version)
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Encore:
Blackwater Park

I've seen Opeth several times and they never disappoint. Mikael can be quite humorous. Only thing about that set list is Demon of the Fall....acoustic? Much rather see the normal version.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've ended up with an extra ticket for Opeth tomorrow (my brother got sick) if anyone in the GTA wants to go. I live in Markham, going to be driving there. I know it's a longshot posting here but I don't want to go to the show with a complete stranger/psycho, I'd rather go alone in that case. For some crazy reason I figure people here will be somewhat well adjusted (fuck me, right?). I can also assure you I'm not a psycho.

tl;dr My brother who was going with me got the flu today, anybody want a ticket and a ride to Opeth?

edit: GTA = greater toronto area for the americans. not stealing a car tomorrow. Also I think that new DT album is sounding awesome, I can't wait.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Setlist.fm shows the set list as:

The Devil's Orchard
Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
Hope Leaves
Atonement
Deliverance
Hessian Peel
H?xprocess
Demon of the Fall
(acoustic version)
Reverie/Harlequin Forest
Encore:
Blackwater Park

I've seen Opeth several times and they never disappoint. Mikael can be quite humorous. Only thing about that set list is Demon of the Fall....acoustic? Much rather see the normal version.
Yep, that's it. And the acoustic Demon of the Fall is actually pretty awesome. It's not the fucking My Arms, Your Hearse version, but it's pretty damn good. Finishing with Harlequin Forest into BWP is just fucking perfect, btw.

Pain of Salvation is playing May 5th, but I'm not sure I want to go. They've got a ton of material and The Perfect Element/Remedy Lane is the pinnacle of their work, and they're only playing like two or three songs from those albums. Not sure if I want to see a bunch of Scarsick, Road Salt 1, Road Salt 2 material. Anyone seen them lately?

Seventh

Golden Squire
This is fucking great. Kind of Opeth meets Porcupine Tree, but that's a shitty description. Just have a listen:

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
New Immolation coming out soon.

New Megadeth track from their upcoming album. Pretty terrible.

If you are a fan of NWOBHM -- Satan has reformed with their early lineup and have a new record out soon. It sounds great. Sinnes you'd probably like it.

And just because I (finally) saw Suffocation live a couple of nights ago. Frank Mullen is the best front man in death metal. I'll never get tired of jazz hands blast beat.

Also at that show, I saw this band Rings of Saturn. I'd never actually heard of them, but the crowd loved them. Ultra tech death wankery. Cool if you like this kind of stuff, which I really don't.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I've ended up with an extra ticket for Opeth tomorrow (my brother got sick) if anyone in the GTA wants to go. I live in Markham, going to be driving there. I know it's a longshot posting here but I don't want to go to the show with a complete stranger/psycho, I'd rather go alone in that case. For some crazy reason I figure people here will be somewhat well adjusted (fuck me, right?). I can also assure you I'm not a psycho.

tl;dr My brother who was going with me got the flu today, anybody want a ticket and a ride to Opeth?

edit: GTA = greater toronto area for the americans. not stealing a car tomorrow. Also I think that new DT album is sounding awesome, I can't wait.
Fuck I should have seen this sooner... live in Hamilton and could have gone.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
not song related but wanted to share an oil painting I commissioned from Paolo Girardi. he does alot of metal album covers.

rrr_img_22734.jpg

rrr_img_22734.jpg

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That painting is fucking awesome, wow. Also, Walls of Jericho

Jesus. I saw Walls of Jericho and thought Helloween inspired. OBVIOUSLY FUCKING NOT.

Speaking of, I found this little tidbit absolutely hysterical.

In the late 1980s, due to a manufacturing error, on side one of several cassette copies of Walls of Jericho accidentally contained the music of Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion, confusing many first-time Helloween listeners.
In other news, I'm going to see that fat fuck Yngwie on Tuesday. I think Ripper is still with him, which definitely doesn't excite me. Now if Joe Lynn Turner teamed up with him again, that'd give me a chub for sure. Anyway, hoping it's good, he usually puts on a fantastic show even if he is a fat slob and I don't enjoy his wankery for the most part.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
I saw Walls of Jericho open for Type o Negative or In Flames or someone back in like 98 at the famous La'more in Brooklyn. I thought it was going to be a Helloween cover band and was promptly disappointed.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I actually somehow have never heard this album until today. Not quite the Burzum I knew of but I dig it for the atmosphere I suppose.