The Metal Thread

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I've been kind of out of the loop on death metal for a while. Haven't picked up a new album in years, but my taste generally gravitated towards stuff like Suffocation, The Crown, Vomitory, Deeds of Flesh, Dying Fetus, Vader, etc. I recently heard a band called Prostitute Disfigurement which I liked.

Any recommendations of similar stuff that's come out recently?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
A lot of people don't really love the post Sauron Decapitated but I think it's just about as good as death metal gets. Based on your list, you've probably listened to them before, but how far back are we talking here? Organic Hallucinosis is my favorite of theirs, but that came out in 2006 so you might have heard it already. Otherwise, they dropped a new one (with a new singer and drummer post the bus wreck) in 2011 that was really great too.

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
Cannibal Corpse? their last few albums, Kill, Torture, Evisceration Plague, have been pretty top notch.
Also, try Bloodbath. Breeding Death EP and Resurrection through Carnage are awesome if you haven't heard them. After Mikael, from Opeth, left I didn't care much for the direction they took. If you like The Crown, give witchery a try. I like all thier albums except the new one Witchkreig (again, singer change). The new album had Legion from Marduk on vocals, and i didn't like his vocals or the style change.

vids

Raign

Golden Squire
Feel kinda pussy saying it but death metal is just too much for me.

Non-point
Bullet for my Valentine
Taproot
Memory of a Melody
Et. Al. are my pace

Just can't get into most of this.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Nothing pussy about it. I couldn't get into death metal for years, but then slowly got acclimated to it, and now it's my favorite genre. I don't think it's a genre you can just jump into and enjoy off the bat without kind of progressing up to it.

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
I definitely agree with that statement. I got into iron maiden in the 80's in 7th grade and gradually progressed into more harder music as i explored different bands. Now, I can listen to anything, but prefer more melodic bands and bands that aren't too conventional. I guess the older I get, the more mellower i've become musically. Death isn't for everyone, or else it would be more popular than it is.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Death is one of the few genres where something is either mindblowing or utter shit.

Anyway, saw BLS and Megadeth tonight. Holy shit did they put on a show, idc if you don't like BLS or Megadeth, these motherfuckers performed tonight.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Nothing pussy about it. I couldn't get into death metal for years, but then slowly got acclimated to it, and now it's my favorite genre. I don't think it's a genre you can just jump into and enjoy off the bat without kind of progressing up to it.
I think blast beats and growls are probably the two most off putting things for a new heavy music listener and these are obviously both big parts of death metal. I took a very traditional route into death for people my age where as a younin' I listened to all the melodic death Swedish bands (take away the blasts, add a ton of melody...I don't have to explain this though everyone here knows what this genre is about) before discovering Meshuggah and going more extreme from there. To this day though, a lot of traditional death metal I find pretty boring. It really takes something a little out of place and what I consider exceptional to interest me.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
yup so shouldn't post music older then 2 years. We totally don't have music in this very thread older than that!

Disp_sl

shitlord
Found out last week that Agalloch is playing a show like 2 blocks from my place in September, so I've been listening to The Mantle basically on repeat all week haha. Also, Woods of Ypres is awesome. One of my favorites.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
yup so shouldn't post music older then 2 years. We totally don't have music in this very thread older than that!
I mean it's been posted a thousand times, not that old music is a bad thing.

Woods of Ypres are good. Agalloch played in Brooklyn a couple months ago and I was just too lazy to go watch them in some shithole.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I'm always teetering on the edge of liking and disliking Woods of Ypres.

Well there are no albums to teeter you further since David Gold is dead. It's that their last album had such shitty lyrics and is the end of his career.

edit: appropriate thread for 666 posts