The Mummy (2017)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its origin stories? If not, its the same thing as casting Vin Diesel as Groot or having any voice actor

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The way the mind of the average Hollywood studio executive works dictates that if you're going to sink $100 million+ into a movie (or in this case each of a series of movies) then that requires a name on the bill that will draw in enough of an audience just on recognition alone.

Out of that lineup I'm most interested in seeing Crowe and Bardem in their roles, but they're really not on par with Cruise as far as name power goes (though Crowe was for a time).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Cruise rarely makes a bad films, Im not sure what actor has a better record over the last 20-40 years besides Jack Nicholson.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
It's like Screamfeeder Screamfeeder always says, don't write scripts for a-listers, write scripts that create a-listers. Pratt being an example.
Anytime you see a script that says something like...

Rugged Male (30-35) with a hard stare and scruffy beard (think Chris Pratt).
...just fucking burn it and move on.

Also, I'm sure I never said that before on here, but it's correct.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Anytime you see a script that says something like...

Rugged Male (30-35) with a hard stare and scruffy beard (think Chris Pratt).
...just fucking burn it and move on.

Also, I'm sure I never said that before on here, but it's correct.

You didn't but I had to appeal to authority for my personal quote to be effective. You can use it anytime though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Cruise rarely makes a bad films, Im not sure what actor has a better record over the last 20-40 years besides Jack Nicholson.

tom hardy
leonardo dicaprio
the rock
daniel day lewis
matt damon?
idris elba?
keanu reeves?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
tom hardy
leonardo dicaprio
the rock
daniel day lewis
matt damon?
idris elba?
keanu reeves?

Well if the entry point for consideration is 20 years then you can throw out the Rock, Hardy, and Elba without getting into an endless debate as to how often their movies have been good vs. bad. None of them have been acting in movies quite that long, certainly not as headline actors.

And while Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the best actor on your list and it's true he rarely makes a bad movie he's also not a very prolific actor. Cruise, DiCaprio, and Damon have all made more movies in just the past two decades than DDL has made in his entire career and he's been at it longer than any of them save Cruise.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Too bad all of those names are actually just Gary Oldman trying different characters out.

Much like myself and this forum.

• 2Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
tom hardy
leonardo dicaprio
the rock
daniel day lewis
matt damon?
idris elba?
keanu reeves?
Well right off top of my head:

Leonardo...Body of Lies, huuuge disappointment.
Keanu Reeves...47 Ronin, just awful.
Daniel was in Gangs of NY, one of the worst movies by Scorsese imo. Great actor nonetheless
Matt damon? Ocean's 12 and 13...need to say more?

There are other choices but i know i will be controversial around here.

spronk

FPS noob
supposed to be review embargo'd until release date but i guess some are starting to leak,
Review: Dark Universe is dead on arrival with THE MUMMY

I had some awfully low expectations going into this, but holy cow did they blow right past them and into the gutter with this production. This coming weekend, if you get the urge to go see this, do yourself a favor and purchase someone in your life a ticket for Wonder Woman instead. That will be a far more enriching experience.

It’s 9 am, on Wednesday June 7th, and I’m calling it on the Dark Universe, dear readers.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Tom Cruise doesn't make good movies. He isn't a good actor. Movie Studios make large popcorn flicks with him in it, and everytime I see him on screen it's like I am watching every other movie he has been in. The only good movie I remember with Tom Cruise in it was The Color of Money when I actually forgot for a minute it was Tom Cruise.

Now, take someone like Tom Hanks with Forrest Gump, or Russel Crow with a Beautiful Mind, and then watch them, in any other movie, and you completely forgot the actor and care only about the character. That is what makes a good actor. When you don't even care or know who the actor is.

Tom Cruise doesn't have that gift. He's the same in every single movie.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Tom Cruise doesn't make good movies. He isn't a good actor. Movie Studios make large popcorn flicks with him in it, and everytime I see him on screen it's like I am watching every other movie he has been in. The only good movie I remember with Tom Cruise in it was The Color of Money when I actually forgot for a minute it was Tom Cruise.

Now, take someone like Tom Hanks with Forrest Gump, or Russel Crow with a Beautiful Mind, and then watch them, in any other movie, and you completely forgot the actor and care only about the character. That is what makes a good actor. When you don't even care or know who the actor is.

Tom Cruise doesn't have that gift. He's the same in every single movie.

Collateral and Born on the Fourth of July.

But yeah, he doesn't often show much range.

• 3Like

Homsar

You guys are crazy, hes shown rnge tons of times

Interview with the vampire
Vanilla Sky
Last Samurai
Tropic Thunder
Jerry Maguire
Magnolia
Collateral
Born on the 4th of july

• 2Solidarity

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I love Tom Cruise movies because they're almost always enjoyable. Especially in the last 5 - 10 years he has made some great popcorn flicks. I don't give a shit how versatile he may or may not be, because his movies are fun to watch.

Given how critics are panning this, I'll probably end up loving it because I don't have a joyless, cold heart.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I love Tom Cruise movies because they're almost always enjoyable. Especially in the last 5 - 10 years he has made some great popcorn flicks. I don't give a shit how versatile he may or may not be, because his movies are fun to watch.

Given how critics are panning this, I'll probably end up loving it because I don't have a joyless, cold heart.
It's fucked up because his more Sci-Fi stuff I don't really love, but I can watch it 10 times and not be bored.
Oblivion for example, I could watch it a few times a year and not feel like I wasted my time, but movies I love even more I don't care to watch a second time. If that makes any damn sense at all.
I think I've only seen 1 or 2 of the MI series though.

• 1Solidarity

joz123

Potato del Grande
I can keep watching Oblivion because I thought it was shot really well and the environments look cool. Plus the 2 hot chicks in it help.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity