The Netflix Thread

Caliane

yeah. watching it now. such a weird movie. Can't recommend.

multiple laughable premises.
"oh theres a life sustaining moon around Jupiter, we just didn't notice before."
The entire Earth went dark to the space ship at the same time.
Crazy high tech artic astronomy center. also, a second one more powerful? within walking distance for guy to take the kid to.. lol what?

Weird movie choices.
first half the movie spends like no time with the spaceship. all with clooney and kid.
THEN we swap to the spaceship crew.

Spaceships designed by retards. (and script written by trope hacks)
Fly blind into space rocks. damage radar and comms. because of course it does. how do you even design a ship that just gets wrecked by any rando space rocks? they are small and you can't see them, and you fly into them really fast. That entire ships design is garbage. it'd be wrecked by inertia too. (idk, there is a shuttle. so maybe the main ship is in a full on comet like orbit, and never stops or changes direction? but..they flew into shit, which suggests it had change direction?)
oh, so then space walk to "fix" things with a screwdriver. yes, large structural damage can be repaired with a hot glue gun, a screwdriver and flipping some switches. no spare parts even needed.
oh, then of course they have crew outside, so that 1 in 10 million chance of asteroids has to repeat and this time actually be a full on asteroid belt. which is decidedly NOT invisible, and we'd actually know about. so, flying into would be completely retarded.

dumb singing scene before which clearly heralds this bitch about to die.

idk, not noticing or knowing about an asteroid belt, not knowing about a life sustaining planet, not having eyes on Earth. clearly advanced Optics are non-existent in this world.
No delay on voice comms. lol.
weird empty bridge, except for bizarre spiderweb mesh..

That ship is big. 5 man crew. lol ok. 1 dies, one says hes leaving. then another man says hes going with him... 2 man crew..
"shuttle is 2 man crew you can't fly it alone" ok, so that reentry shuttle is a 2 man crew, but that giant mothership also only needs 2 people to fly? they don't even question it. hey can't fly this ship with just 2 people.

At this point I don't even remember if this was supposed to be a colony ship or just a recon? if colony, why did they go TO k23, then come back.
"we couldn't make contact with the k23 colony ship which should have left Earth over a week ago". so, theres another ship? were they rendezvousing?
nuclear winter messing with Earth comes. sure. but why can't they contact that ship? did it never make it off the ground?
are... they going back to k23 with a grand total of 2 people and 1 unborn child to perpetuate humanity?

vid from Early editions wife at the end. comes AFTER they have radio comms with Earth. wtf. comms travel at the speed of plot I guess?

The twist I think was decent. I just wish the rest of the movie was good enough to make it pay off.
the little girl was a hallucination/metaphor.Sully's first name is Iris, and she is the daughter of the woman he loved but let go. also maybe his daughter. hence the first Hyacinth name suggestion for Sully's kid. And, why he wanted to get to the other station so bad to warn them, to save her. With saving her in the Artic as a metaphor for saving her in space.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think K-23 is a cool idea, and there's any number of reasons why maybe we didn't detect that moon, or many other moons, and that's an interesting idea to explore, how little we know about even our own solar system. And it's helpful that was the best, and frankly the only memorable, imagery in the entire movie.

It reminded me of old timey sci-fi, because it chose to ignore so much science that the every day person old have instant access to now. In the 1940s it was plausible to say oh hey this ship has been out of contact with Earth for like it's entire voyage to Jupiter and back. Not even elementary school kids buy that shit now.

idk how I feel about the twist. Part of me is fine with it and part of me hates it. Overall, just a super disappointing movie.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think K-23 is a cool idea, and there's any number of reasons why maybe we didn't detect that moon, or many other moons, and that's an interesting idea to explore, how little we know about even our own solar system. And it's helpful that was the best, and frankly the only memorable, imagery in the entire movie.

It reminded me of old timey sci-fi, because it chose to ignore so much science that the every day person old have instant access to now. In the 1940s it was plausible to say oh hey this ship has been out of contact with Earth for like it's entire voyage to Jupiter and back. Not even elementary school kids buy that shit now.

idk how I feel about the twist. Part of me is fine with it and part of me hates it. Overall, just a super disappointing movie.

Sorry bro. Love you, but the idea of a completely habitable moon in our solar system, complete with waterfalls, atmosphere, and plants, is fucking stupid!!!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I actually thought at first this was going to be a 2001 deal. The planet just appeared via aliens.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sorry bro. Love you, but the idea of a completely habitable moon in our solar system, complete with waterfalls, atmosphere, and plants, is fucking stupid!!!
Disagree, its a cool idea but the execution of it resulted in this not good movie. The story here is "omg wtf this badass planet was here the whole time and look at how interesting it is" but the movie they made ignored all that and focused on sad man and the keystone cops in space. And the 2 astronauts who decide to just suicide, forgot about that, hey guys almost all humans are now dead but these two humans are sad so they are going to kill themselves. Stupidity played off as romantic. Now a crew of 2, including one who is pregnant, are charged with taking news of Earth back to this planet because apparently there's no such thing as radio comms in this universe.... God man I just disliked this movie so much.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There's a new series, Home Sweet Home, coming to Netflix that started off as a Korean manwha. It's a horror story where people become monsters. It should be decent. The webcomic was good at least.

Caliane

netflix's
There's a new series, Home Sweet Home, coming to Netflix that started off as a Korean manwha. It's a horror story where people become monsters. It should be decent. The webcomic was good at least.

Started good. But, quickly went nowhere imo. emo edgelord is super powerful. Everyone just stays in place. monsters become basically irrelevant after the first episode.
never redeems itself.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I didn't watch it. Just read the web comic. I've been debating restarting Netflix again. I closed my account a while ago. Before Disney Plus or HBO Go. Hell, I also have Amazon Prime. My kids mostly watch Youtube.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I'm going to go with this movie was shitty. I watched until I saw the kid and was like yup I know where this is going. So I fast forward to the last 15 minutes and yup I was right. These movies are getting to predictable.

The movie was bad, but...really? As soon as you saw the kid you correctly guessed that she was a figment of his imagination and was actually his daughter, who was the pregnant crewmember on the space ship?

Uh huh.

• 1Garbage

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
The movie was bad, but...really? As soon as you saw the kid you correctly guessed that she was a figment of his imagination and was actually his daughter, who was the pregnant crewmember on the space ship?

Uh huh.
My wife and I were excited to watch this.

The second they showed the little kid she says "That kid isn't real, he's dying and hallucinating the image of her as a kid....shes on the ship....Mmmuuuurrrrrpppphhhhhh"

So yeah I'll believe it. Predictable movie was predictable.

spronk

FPS noob
I really enjoyed Midnight Sky. Sure, the ending is lolwtf but the movie is slow old man reflective winter movie. The scenes in the freezing cold were fantastic, really drives home the idea that there are parts of the planet (universe) we are not meant to be. I liked most of the space stuff, especially how the scientists are professionals who are calm and good at their jobs, instead of the usual scifi trope of "insane incompetent scientist colossally fucks up". Yeah, they rush to score emotional beats and it breaks down at the end but for most of the movie it was interesting.

lot of hand waving on K-23, what happened to Earth, "no bro falling into sub zero water will kill you in 2 mins", 2 people can't repopulate a species, etc but end of the day if you are a sci fi fan I think its interesting. Some of the themes felt like Red Dead Redemption 2 about regret, mistakes, winter, living with pain, survival, and family.

Obviously the movie has a lot of plot holes and is easy to nit pick but meh, after watching Wonder Woman 84 and Greenland and Croods 2 and Star Trek Discovery it was nice just seeing a quiet scifi movie

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interstellar popped up on (euro-) Netflix finally. Never got around to watching it although I've seen people singing its praises for a long time. Didn't hate it but didn't love it either, felt some of the emotional scenes to be rather heavy handed. It's close to 3 hours long and although it doesn't drag, I did end up wondering at the end why a lot of stuff was even in the movie.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
Interstellar popped up on (euro-) Netflix finally. Never got around to watching it although I've seen people singing its praises for a long time. Didn't hate it but didn't love it either, felt some of the emotional scenes to be rather heavy handed. It's close to 3 hours long and although it doesn't drag, I did end up wondering at the end why a lot of stuff was even in the movie.
That sums up 99 percent of Nolan movies in general. Awesome spectacle and well shot, some good emotional scenes, and a bunch of random shit to make it clever for no particular reason.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Death To 2020, really funny mockumentary about this last year with a bunch of celebs portraying various people.

• 1Barf

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Death To 2020, really funny mockumentary about this last year with a bunch of celebs portraying various people.

Wasn't funny and was excessively woke.

The year recaps that Charlie Brooker did for the BBC were infinitely funnier

Caliane

I'm dieing here. loaded up Netflix...

Theres a live action super serious YA Winx club tv show. Rofl wtf.

• 1Barf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kids stuff should stick to animated, if they going to get 20-somethings to do live action there better be tits and blood for the now-older fanbase otherwise what's the point?

• 1Great Review

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Kids stuff should stick to animated, if they going to get 20-somethings to do live action there better be tits and blood for the now-older fanbase otherwise what's the point?
Seriously, how much do we have to beat them over the head with the Witcher and GoT before they understand this stuff isn't rocket science. Tits, violence and monsters. It's simple stuff.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users