The Night House (2021)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: The Night House (2021)

Tagline: The truth will surface.

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: David Bruckner

Cast: Rebecca Hall, Sarah Goldberg, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Evan Jonigkeit, Stacy Martin, David Abeles, Christina Jackson, Patrick Klein, Crystal Swan, Catherine Weidner, Laura Austin, Jacob Garrett White, Samantha Buck, Lydia Hand, Lea Enslin, Amy Zubieta, Allie McCulloch, Andy Rich, Amber Anne

Release: 2021-07-15

Runtime: 107

Plot: Reeling from the unexpected death of her husband, Beth is left alone in the lakeside home he built for her. Soon she begins to uncover her recently deceased husband's disturbing secrets.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Rebecca Hall went for the Oscar with the performance. Go in no trailer no synopsis.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to watching this and it's really well done. I enjoyed that the plot was original and Rebecca Hall was fantastic. Agree that you should just watch it vs reading anything ahead of time. You can probably figure it out before the climax, but it was really satisfying to think of different possibilities as the story progressed.

Worth a watch for sure!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah this was a slapper. Delivered in all aspects expected of a psych thriller horror blend.

Huge disservice if you read the synopsis or watch the trailer. It's a great ride, and as mentioned Rebecca Hall killed it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed this, based on the recommendations here. Very tense, edge of the seat style movie. If you tried to explain the plot to someone, it would sound dumb, but it works if you watch it with no foreknowledge.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ben Collins, who wrote this, is also writing the Hellraiser reboot. I knew that going in so was interesting seeing some of the ideas playing with geometry of the house and what-not. Wondering how much of that played in to his ideas vs. a product of direction and photography.

Enjoyable flick, was worth seeing.

nu_11

Rebecca Hall's newest movie (she's the director). Enjoy

• 1WTF

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1635400082276.png

I'll check it out because I'm a fan, but Tessa Thompson is a big deal breaker for me.

As previously seen with Ryan Gosling's directorial debut with "Lost River" -- great actors don't make great directors as a rule.

1635400225423.png

They fucking knocked the stuffing out of Gosling, and his star was pretty big at the time and his directorial debut was highly anticipated. He went for a David Lynch ripoff and critics were steamed.

Last edited:

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I'm glad that they didn't go the route of needing a Bagul expert to dial in and dump exposition but this felt like it was setting up trying to explain some of what was happening and then just really didn't. It kept the story more centered on the characters and it was all done really well so it wasn't a huge detractor but I kind of wanted to know more about some of the plot points and think that it could have been subtly worked in without taking anything away from the end result.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database