The Night Of

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah, maybe not here but people in my circle were like "why was he doing those drugs.. why was he driving her around" etc and I had to explain that men do far worse all the time to try and get it

Good show, digging it and man being in that spot that kid is in would fucking suck. Imagine having to change who you are to adapt to the situation you are put in all for a piece of ass. That kid is a good actor and really selling it for me and really curious to see his outcome so ill keep watching.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea episode 3 was last night. I liked the first 2 episodes but this one was really slow and really cliche.

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
Its slowly starting to lose me as well. I'll still watch, but each episode gets slower and more cliched it seems

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really hoping this is about to focus on Bird & Turturro's detective work (who is killing it) now and get away from some of the aforementioned cliche "You're gonna get raped" prison stuff.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Episode 3 was fine except the foot stuff. This shit adds nothing to the story. Get the fuck over it.
Yeah I really don't get the whole foot thing. And also the fact that every single person Torturro interacts with mentions it.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Perhaps the pay off will be the killer has a rare skin disease and he figures it out based off his experiences?

koljec_sl

shitlord
Perhaps the pay off will be the killer has a rare skin disease and he figures it out based off his experiences?
I think it's more that there is a tradition of giving odd quirks to TV lawyers and detectives. In Stone's case, his rash is from a world that's caustic to him. It's not subtle enough.

It might just be an accidental set inconsistency, or cops with the munchies, but the contents of the fridge change between episodes 1 and 3:

rrr_img_137131.jpg

rrr_img_137133.jpg

rrr_img_137132.jpg

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man episode 1 was so good and the last two are harder to defend. This pacing would make sense if it was more than 8 episodes but now im like, okay how are you gonna do an e ntire trial in the next 5 if we're living one day at a time in prison?

Some people I trust to saw some of the screeners and said this show was great, maybe it regains the momentum it had in ep1

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Aspects of the characterization are subtle deep inferences. This isn't a Law and Order show, every line, scene, and plot point has a meaning.

The prisoner telling Nazir, who he always calls by his full name, that Veal is made soft by being kept in a dark crate, sheltered from the outside world, which is cruel and terrible. That's a direct metaphor to Nazir himself, who has been sheltered from the realities and cruelty of the World.

John Stone's eczema is giving our typical protagonist flaws, and also meant to hint that his good nature and motivations are resting on a rotten foundation. We all struggle with problems, and life is our struggle to deal with them in our own way. This isn't a murder mystery. This is an unforgiving look at the "system" and the darker side of the American justice system.

Being arrested is terrifying, prison isn't suitable to human beings, and as we'll see that instead of "rehabilitation centers" they will turn Naz (as they tend to do in real life) into criminals. Ironic that our rehabilitation centers do the opposite of their stated purpose. This show is a political statement through and through. The callousness of the system, and it's effect on anyone who is unfortunate enough to be caught up in it (innocent or not), mass incarceration, how we treat prisoners, how DA's basically barter with people's lives like livestock, and the disconnection of it all. If having Nazir's mom frisked, the multitude of forms, the only way for the cab to be released is for the father to press charges on his son, lawyers interested only in fame and not the well-being of their client, more forms, more disconnection, even more forms, and the fact that the police can walk into your home and take your property just because of a family member was charged with a crime wasn't heavy handed enough then?

Our prison system needs a reform, and this show will wake a lot of people up to just how terrible it is. A&E ran a program called "40 Days In" where they put civilians in prison for a couple weeks to catch both prisoners/guards breaking the law/rules. One of the volunteers was a law enforcement officer. She broke down inside, and when it was all said and done she retired from her job as a cop because she didn't realized she was responsible for putting people in conditions that she thought were inhumane.

It's what you want our prison system to be. Rehabilitation it is not. It's revenge. Most correctional facilities down here in Louisiana, where it can reach a head index of 115+ with humidity don't even have air conditioning. I've had friends go in for six months and come out completely different people, and not in a good way. They've come out criminals, when they went in for things that should have been slap on the wrists. They talk different, they scuff down their food like they're afraid of people stealing it, they seem to lose their morals and values typical for most civilians. Doing time in America is no joke, and then when you get out you get branded as a "felon" for life.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The first episode was a good murder mystery episode. Two and Three were perhaps even better, as long as you can accept that this show is cross genre. This isn't just about a murder case, or whether he's innocent, or a who-dunn-it. We all know Nazir is innocent, it's not the point.

Want to know how to best describe the series to friends?

It's a portrayal about how absolutely terrifying and boring it is to be caught up in the criminal justice system. Well the United State's criminal justice system. European's seem to have a better handle on cruel and unusual punishment. 85% of our inmates get locked right back up after they're released, where as less than 20% of Norwegian inmates ever get re-arrested. They're doing it right, and it's about time we reflect on just how fucked up private prisons and mass incarceration in general are.

Scenes where the guard has to dig a cell phone out of the guys ass, or the indifferent guard at the desk who tells Salim, "tell your wife to go to the back of the line" show the sheer reality of the situation. They're mandatory and why this show is so amazing. If you want Law and Order, where two detectives crack jokes and sip lattes while chatting over the body of a recently murdered person then there's a dozen seasons to choose from. Honestly though, Law & Order is about as realistic as Harry Potter.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Aspects of the characterization are subtle deep inferences. This isn't a Law and Order show, every line, scene, and plot point has a meaning.

The prisoner telling Nazir, who he always calls by his full name, that Veal is made soft by being kept in a dark crate, sheltered from the outside world, which is cruel and terrible. That's a direct metaphor to Nazir himself, who has been sheltered from the realities and cruelty of the World.

John Stone's eczema is giving our typical protagonist flaws, and also meant to hint that his good nature and motivations are resting on a rotten foundation. We all struggle with problems, and life is our struggle to deal with them in our own way. This isn't a murder mystery. This is an unforgiving look at the "system" and the darker side of the American justice system.

Being arrested is terrifying, prison isn't suitable to human beings, and as we'll see that instead of "rehabilitation centers" they will turn Naz (as they tend to do in real life) into criminals. Ironic that our rehabilitation centers do the opposite of their stated purpose. This show is a political statement through and through. The callousness of the system, and it's effect on anyone who is unfortunate enough to be caught up in it (innocent or not), mass incarceration, how we treat prisoners, how DA's basically barter with people's lives like livestock, and the disconnection of it all. If having Nazir's mom frisked, the multitude of forms, the only way for the cab to be released is for the father to press charges on his son, lawyers interested only in fame and not the well-being of their client, more forms, more disconnection, even more forms, and the fact that the police can walk into your home and take your property just because of a family member was charged with a crime wasn't heavy handed enough then?

Our prison system needs a reform, and this show will wake a lot of people up to just how terrible it is. A&E ran a program called "40 Days In" where they put civilians in prison for a couple weeks to catch both prisoners/guards breaking the law/rules. One of the volunteers was a law enforcement officer. She broke down inside, and when it was all said and done she retired from her job as a cop because she didn't realized she was responsible for putting people in conditions that she thought were inhumane.

It's what you want our prison system to be. Rehabilitation it is not. It's revenge. Most correctional facilities down here in Louisiana, where it can reach a head index of 115+ with humidity don't even have air conditioning. I've had friends go in for six months and come out completely different people, and not in a good way. They've come out criminals, when they went in for things that should have been slap on the wrists. They talk different, they scuff down their food like they're afraid of people stealing it, they seem to lose their morals and values typical for most civilians. Doing time in America is no joke, and then when you get out you get branded as a "felon" for life.
The first episode was a good murder mystery episode. Two and Three were perhaps even better, as long as you can accept that this show is cross genre. This isn't just about a murder case, or whether he's innocent, or a who-dunn-it. We all know Nazir is innocent, it's not the point.

Want to know how to best describe the series to friends?

It's a portrayal about how absolutely terrifying and boring it is to be caught up in the criminal justice system. Well the United State's criminal justice system. European's seem to have a better handle on cruel and unusual punishment. 85% of our inmates get locked right back up after they're released, where as less than 20% of Norwegian inmates ever get re-arrested. They're doing it right, and it's about time we reflect on just how fucked up private prisons and mass incarceration in general are.

Scenes where the guard has to dig a cell phone out of the guys ass, or the indifferent guard at the desk who tells Salim, "tell your wife to go to the back of the line" show the sheer reality of the situation. They're mandatory and why this show is so amazing. If you want Law and Order, where two detectives crack jokes and sip lattes while chatting over the body of a recently murdered person then there's a dozen seasons to choose from. Honestly though, Law & Order is about as realistic as Harry Potter.
No.

GOD DAMNIT NO

khalid

Unelected Mod
Woolygimp, thanks for your thoughts. You did a great job breaking down many of the "little" great moments of this show.

Could you tell me whether you think BLM and other movements against police corruption have influenced the making of this show?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Wooly went full retard in the GoT thread, but honestly none of those points are particularly deep or far-fetched. I'd agree with most of it, the show's pretty heavy-handed. lol at a lot of people "waking up" to the horrors of prison because of this show though. Everyone knows the American prison system is garbage, everyone knows it doesn't rehabilitate for jack shit. It makes money. This isn't changing shit.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wooly went full retard in the GoT thread, but honestly none of those points are particularly deep or far-fetched. I'd agree with most of it, the show's pretty heavy-handed. lol at a lot of people "waking up" to the horrors of prison because of this show though. Everyone knows the American prison system is garbage, everyone knows it doesn't rehabilitate for jack shit. It makes money. This isn't changing shit.
Outside of prison, I'm not really sure what flaws in the legal system are that he's talking about.

I also don't see how you get that that's what the show's REALLY all about

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think the show is pretty heavy-handed on how fucked up the system is.