The Night Of

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I like the show but some of you guys are right they should have decided what kind of show it was going to be and stuck with it. There's way too much contrived shit going on for it to be an super realistic "we're exposing the system" type show.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
IIRC Turturro's role was for Gandolfini and since he died the show kinda took shortcuts writing wise.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This show is trying to be too many things. Black dude that Turturro chased? Just a red herring? Physical trainer step-dad just a red herring? Strong independent black man-mortician, red herring?

Either this is going to wrap up phenomenally in some crazy detective manner or..

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I really hope it turns out he's innocent but is convicted anyways for being the dumbest motherfucker on the planet

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
They only have two more episodes to wrap this up. Definitely a show more about the procedural aspects of being convicted than and actual murder mystery. I mean, the series is 75% of the way completed before they start even bringing in other real suspects. The way they present it there is no way Naz gets free unless there is some deux ex machina during the last 2 episodes where they find that there was a hidden video camera in that chick's apartment, like in the deer head, that recorded the real murderer.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He keeps doubling down on stupid. Tattoos of sin and bad across your knuckles right as your trial starts? Good fucking call.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think the other suspects are actually more helpful to the defense if they don't delve too deep into them. All they have to do is cast aspersion on those people as possibly the 'real' suspects and have the jury believe them. If they dig too deep they might find out they definitely didn't do it and sabotage themselves. I think that would be the smartest play for the lawyers, but hopefully the show actually digs deeper for the audience's sake and doesn't just have a bunch of dead ends that sound spooky.

Wonder how fast before Antarius puts up a poster of that black funeral home guy in his room.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I predict he gets off. Chalky White pulls some strings to get him off (maybe a new inmate takes the fall) and Chalky uses Naz on the outside as "payback" for his protection in Rikers. Then they end it leaving you wondering if he really did it or if it was one of the other red herrings.

Only makes sense at this point with how Chalky has been criminalizing Naz while he's locked up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I powered through episodes 1-5 this week and I am surprised that people here don't like it. I had no problem at all with the pacing but maybe it's better if you don't have to wait a week between episodes. I love Turturro's character and while I found Naz's being a hard-ass in prison a bit far fetched, I think after this episode it's pretty clear that they are showing us that the assumptions we made about him in the early episodes may have been incorrect.

I wouldn't mind it, if the show just leaves the who dunnit part as an open mystery. This show is less about who did it, than the process of the criminal justice system. It gets weaker when it becomes more like an Law & Order show.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Naz being stupid stuff seems so ridiculous because of how short the show is. The commentary of how everything is stacked against him, someone we're pretty sure is innocent, and how prison can make criminals out of normal people

It's a really interesting and frustrating look at the system. Naz is so dumb that it's frustrating and his lawyers going all PI and chase people down dark hallways shit can be a bit much and is when it really feels like a wire-esque show. It's trying to deliver its message while remain entertaining enough to get viewership and it's a tough place to be I guess. It's still the second best show I've seen this year though.

I think an issue with the following episodes for some people has to be that the first one was so damn good and tense. It felt like a movie and felt like it was diving into whodunit territory and then went right after the system instead. Reminds me a bit of the situation in Serial, only now with a retarded suspect

khalid

Unelected Mod
Sorry, but Naz isn't even in the ballpark of some of the stupid characters that have existed on The Walking Dead.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually don't think he's that stupid, he's just trying to acclimate to the circumstances around him in his own way. The show is going out of it's way to show that deep down Nas isn't this little goody two shoes that you were led to believe in the beginning. However despite that I think they are setting it up for him to be found not guilty (I'm not sure we will ever find out the true killer but perhaps that's not the point).

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There's a small chance that Naz is found not guilty and it turns out he really is. There's some foreshadowing that he's got a violent nature to him, but this wouldn't jibe with the show's theme that prison corrupts.

This is kind of what I think of when I've been watching this show:

I think it's very unlikely because Naz being guilty throws all of the underlying motifs that the series is trying to convey straight into the garbage. The United States needs prison reform desperately, so I hope they don't go that route.