The Official Guitar Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Nice, I did some reading on mandolins and I can say with confidence I could never learn to play one. Just the string tuning would befuddle me. It would be like switching to left hand and playing like Jimi Hendrix essentially. Guitars go E > A > D > G whereas mandolins go G > D > A > E

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Luckily for me I haven't played guitar since I was 12 or 14 so I don't have anything to unlearn, still gonna be so hard I think. Guy at the shop when I picked it up said "man that is a little insturment for a huge guy, hope your patient"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Luckily for me I haven't played guitar since I was 12 or 14 so I don't have anything to unlearn, still gonna be so hard I think. Guy at the shop when I picked it up said "man that is a little insturment for a huge guy, hope your patient"
I feel the same way being a 7 string player and someone hands me a 6 string

WHAT IS THIS, BABYS FIRST GUITAR????

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've never found a need or desire to go any lower than drop D. Maybe there was a time in high school when I was really into System of a Down but not since.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A lot of death metal early on would be tuned to B on a 6 string and I couldn''t stand doing that - even with proper gauges it felt super weird to me. 7 strings just made sense.

Plus a big part of 7 string popularity was thanks to a guy that doesn't listen to SOAD

vai_shot_01.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A lot of death metal early on would be tuned to B on a 6 string and I couldn''t stand doing that - even with proper gauges it felt super weird to me. 7 strings just made sense.

Plus a big part of 7 string popularity was thanks to a guy that doesn't listen to SOAD

vai_shot_01.jpg

Seven string guitars became known to me by John Petrucci. I used to be obsessed with Dream Theater. Still never had a desire to go that low.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had a hell of a time trying to buy a semi hollow. Several orders were cancelled and so many places were just out of whatever. I guess I know where part of the $1200 went.

Finally got tired of it and I needed a lighter guitar to help on the bad days. Ordered an acoustic and it shipped today so finally. Epiphone hummingbird off reverb after place offered $60 less on a new one, so $300.

Borzak

Guitar shipped out of the NE, info but not picked up yet. Shows delivery by end of day Saturday in MS. Seems highly optimistic lol. You would think by now they would have changes put in for that.

Two weeks ago got FedEx on a Sunday. Also saw today UPS is starting virus surchage now for shipping started end of the month.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
got about 40 min of practice in today, took about 30 of that to figure out where to press down on the frets and not get a buzzy sound on the 2nd of each pair, still mess it up most times but was able to get through a few scales that sounded ok, fuck my finger tips are sore after just 30 min.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You forget what that feels like once you develop those callouses. I can play for hours now and never feel it. I don't even have fingerprints on my fingertips anymore.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Guitar shipped out of the NE, info but not picked up yet. Shows delivery by end of day Saturday in MS. Seems highly optimistic lol. You would think by now they would have changes put in for that.

Two weeks ago got FedEx on a Sunday. Also saw today UPS is starting virus surchage now for shipping started end of the month.
Virus surcharge for real? Why would anyone use UPS then

I had an ordeal with UPS recently that has me avoiding them. Plus they lost a guitar once

Borzak

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
UPS ended up buying me a second guitar one year when I was moving back to the west coast from Boston. Shipped most of my gear back to Oregon for the summer break but my guitar never showed up. Got a check from them about a month later. Get back to Boston and my school mailbox was packed with you have a package to pickup notices. Swung by the desk and they pulled out my guitar, lol. Happy accident

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So my Pod Go showed up yesterday and I got it hooked up to the computer to start dicking around with creating my own presets - what a neat little tool! Seriously!

I love that when you go in to select your "build" you scroll through icons that look just like the thing you're trying to create. Want a specific Marshall amp? Just click the Marshall amp icon that looks identical to the real amp. Pedals, cabs etc it's all there. As to the sound, it's interesting.... Running through my bonsai pedal/chorus > Orange Amp produces such a nice, full sound. Tinkering in the Line 6 software I was able to get close to that sound. It's not exact, but I'd say to my ears its maybe 95%? Close enough that I'm going to return the pedals and just play with this thing a while. A lot of the pre loaded sounds are usable out of the box but not quite dialed in. Pretty easy to adjust on the fly either in the software or on the unit itself. For $450, I'm actually blown away. Makes me wonder how good the expensive Helix models sound or even better, the Kemper stuff. If I ever got super into it, the Kemper Stage looks like a nice bit of kit. For now though, this little deal is all I'll need. So many options and so much potential for interesting, weird shit.

On the guitar front - was able to find somebody with a PRS S2 594 Singlecut for sale. Can't find them anywhere due to COVID and they're back ordered through like September. Should be here in a few days and excited to take a look at it. Nitro finish, made in Maryland (pups, tuners made in SK) - Having played a core 594 that I really liked I'm hoping this fits the bill at half the price of a core McCarty

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
As far as the neck goes, they both have the pattern vintage so the feel should be mostly the same.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
UPS ended up buying me a second guitar one year when I was moving back to the west coast from Boston. Shipped most of my gear back to Oregon for the summer break but my guitar never showed up. Got a check from them about a month later. Get back to Boston and my school mailbox was packed with you have a package to pickup notices. Swung by the desk and they pulled out my guitar, lol. Happy accident
Not sure if I posted it but I bought a RG3120 when they got discontinued for $600 (retailed for $1500). First guitar I bought with my own money. UPS lost it for a month or two and this was 20 years ago so neither UPS or AMS would take the blame for it - my only recourse was to just wait. One day randomly it showed up. Opened it up and they had sent me an RG120 (like $150 guitar). It was heartbreak that I've never felt in my life. Customer service at AMS didn't believe me and thought i was trying to scam them.

It was such an ordeal I never shopped at AMS again. And I avoid UPS at all costs. They did send the right guitar finally , and it was one of the best Ibanez I've ever played.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know what it looks like for businesses but I can't understand anyone using UPS. I had to return a small 2lb package UPS wanted minimum $50, USPS shipped it priority for like $7.

Borzak

FedEx or UPS is ok with me and probably depends on your location. I can not stand when they ship stuff that the final step is through the postal service. It normally sits at the big post office in the state capital for a week then 3-4 days in the local one before it finally shows up. I'd pay extra if they let you know ahead of time how it was actually being shipped the entire way.

One time it went from post office an hour away to the east coast, then back, and back to memphis then post office in state and did this 3 or 4 times. I finally talked to the local post master after it sat at the post office for a week. Finally it was delivered and she called the next day to tell me they were still looking for my package, good luck with that.