The Official Guitar Thread

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
FedEx or UPS is ok with me and probably depends on your location. I can not stand when they ship stuff that the final step is through the postal service. It normally sits at the big post office in the state capital for a week then 3-4 days in the local one before it finally shows up. I'd pay extra if they let you know ahead of time how it was actually being shipped the entire way.
It is stupid and petty but I hate their follow my truck site when it is out for delivery, whoever designed their delivery algorithm needs to be kicked in the dick. I will watch that truck drive through my neighborhood past my court then go 5 miles away over and over until I eventually get my package at the very end if the day. Come the fuck on you dropped shit off the next court over at 11am but I'm scheduled for 8pm, and who are you fucking 1 mile away that you sat there for a fucking hour.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It is stupid and petty but I hate their follow my truck site when it is out for delivery, whoever designed their delivery algorithm needs to be kicked in the dick. I will watch that truck drive through my neighborhood past my court then go 5 miles away over and over until I eventually get my package at the very end if the day. Come the fuck on you dropped shit off the next court over at 11am but I'm scheduled for 8pm, and who are you fucking 1 mile away that you sat there for a fucking hour.
I agree. It's not even close to accurate too.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
S2 594 showed up... really pleased with it. Neck much better than LP, better build as well. Pleasure to play and the pups are better than expected.
A41CD6B0-91CB-471C-B8F3-4C3105776D47.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Very nice man. Opeth used PRS guitars tuned to E standard and it was wild seeing a death metal band doing that

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah my guitar gets delivery date pushed back day by day. At least it's not coming through a riot zone. It flew into Memphis but FedEx there is on the MS side in the non riot area. After seeing the fedex truck last night drag a guy for a while at least I avoided that.

Borzak

I wonder how fast fed ex trucks drive on the interstate at 2am. The last few shipments they fly into memphis and their hub is in MS. It leaves MS and is scanned at like 1 am. It gets to town at 4am. That town is 4.5 hours away if you drive 70-75. And it's a super small town not like saying it left NY.

Borzak

I'll never order another guitar. In person only now. Got my "new" guitar via fed ex. Nearly 7' long used box with 20 pounds of bubble around just a guitar. No factory box, no manuals for the preamp, no nothing. Just a guitar with 1/2 the strings off the tuning pegs. Looks like a pawn shop find.

Really disappointed.

• 1WTF

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
bummer. I'd be sending that back for sure. I always make sure the guitars I buy have a hard/soft case with them. The big box with Styrofoam peanuts around the case is how mine show up. Annoying to deal with those freaking peanuts.

Borzak

This was that long ass things of bubble wrap. It was pretty well protected actually. Just irks me to not get it in the box and no manuals, wrench for the truss rod. Small shit really. I'm not going to dick with sending it back. I got it pretty cheap but still. $300 for a $370 guitar. It plays real well. I haven't played aucostic in a while. It has a good action setup which kind of surprised me. I figured it would be really high. The manual would help in how to change the battery in the pre amp. I emailed the dealer and epiphone. I'm pretty happy with the guitar. I need to get out my microfibre cloth tho, its so shiny finger prints show up bad. I think I have a pic with my potato phone.... It accomplishes the goal, super light and my wife bought it for me.
IMG_20200601_202053[2].jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I once ordered a flying V and it came that way (said it came with OHSC, that was a lie). I was so surprised that it wasn't damaged. Took a full year for Jackson to finally send me a OHSC

Borzak

I got everything but the 1/2 page flyer on the pre amp it only has two knobs, tone and volume. Just need to know how to change the 2 small batteries. I doubt I'll use it on an amp. It plays really good and sounds good. I kind of like the look to just sit in the room when I'm not playing it. More interesting than all my all black telecasters I've had. So far the tuners are light years ahead of most really cheap entry level guitars. It's in good innotation as well which is kind of a surprise for an acoustic. Spot on. I got new strings coming, it will probably not innotate after I change them lol. I thought about ordering the dove which is almost the same guitar with just a dove on it. Wife liked humming birds and she signed the check :)

I should have ordered another guitar stand. It doesn't fit in mine real well, too thick.
'
In the pic you can see the two pre amp knobs in the sound hole. It used to be on top of the guitar which was much easier to get to.

I haven't played much acoustic in a while. It's a lot louder than I remember, maybe mine was really dead. Has excellent sustain.

• 1Like

Borzak

Played it a lot the days 2 days. I consider it a fairly in expensive guitar in the grand scheme of things. I lie
it a lot. It plays really good and sounds good to me but I'm not a great audiophyle type. Take a bit to get used to the fretboard, but it didn't take long to get where I can play some acoustic style songs I normally play on my telecaster. Angel flying too close to the ground sounds great, of course playing willie stuff is not that demanding but those are the acoustic style songs I know. I gotta buy a new strap. In 2 days of playing a lot it hasn't changed tune at all on stock strings. Can play it a lot longer with the reduced weight than my tele. Nice.

Reverb sent me a link of acoustic stuff I could buy and videos. They had something cool but I can't find it for sale. Acoustic preamp that added delay and reverb about the size of a cell phone that just stuck to the back of the guitar. But it doesn't show up on a reverb search. Nice advertising lo.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Played it a lot the days 2 days. I consider it a fairly in expensive guitar in the grand scheme of things. I lie
it a lot. It plays really good and sounds good to me but I'm not a great audiophyle type. Take a bit to get used to the fretboard, but it didn't take long to get where I can play some acoustic style songs I normally play on my telecaster. Angel flying too close to the ground sounds great, of course playing willie stuff is not that demanding but those are the acoustic style songs I know. I gotta buy a new strap. In 2 days of playing a lot it hasn't changed tune at all on stock strings. Can play it a lot longer with the reduced weight than my tele. Nice.

Reverb sent me a link of acoustic stuff I could buy and videos. They had something cool but I can't find it for sale. Acoustic preamp that added delay and reverb about the size of a cell phone that just stuck to the back of the guitar. But it doesn't show up on a reverb search. Nice advertising lo.
I saw that thing too but can't remember the name. Andertons didn't an advert for it

Borzak

HONZ Tech ToneWood Amp for Acoustic Guitar , can't click on it. I'll look at Andertons. I have no use for it now but it looked interesting. I played it thr my regular guitar amp, deluxe reverb. I can't turn down the reverb enough. I'll probably never play it through an amp just curious. Probably sound 10x better thru a small acoustic amp.

From the email.

Coming in at about the size of a cell phone that instantly adds reverb, delay, echo and more effects to your acoustic's natural unplugged tone, the HONZ Tech ToneWood Amp is a revolution for the acoustic guitar.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So I've played guitar (acoustic only) for like 20 years - sometimes I'll go months without touching it, other times (like in quarantine) i'll play hours a day, every day but I've never owned an electric, nor have I ever really had the desire too. I mostly play folk music, blues, 70's stuff from S&G, James Taylor, CSN, Neil Young etc. The quarantine though has allowed me to expand my musical horizons and I have some thoughts, on electric guitar specifically.

The shear amount of sounds I'm able to get out of the electric, particularly through the Pod Go is almost unbelievable. I can play a lick 500 different ways now, each one unique and interesting. Playing it through just a "tube screamer" and modeled amp/cab sounds exceptional.

It's just plain fun - even playing like basic licks from Clapton, The Killers etc and recreating that sound exactly has been fulfilling. You can easily do the same acoustically, but it never recreates the feeling you get through the electric. I find myself excited every day to get home and plug in and experiment. I'm not sure it's making me a better guitar player yet, but it's lit a fuse inside of me to play like I haven't felt since I picked guitars up 20 years ago. I feel like a kid. Being able to route the Pod Go into my studio headphones is a life changer with little kids around. I can sit on the couch with my wife "watching shows" and not fuck with anybody else in the house - that alone is worth the price of admission.

I just bought a new Breedlove Oregon, a beautiful acoustic that sounds excellent, has excellent build quality (better than any of the electrics I've been playing the past month or so) and is a dream to play - low action, terrific almost satin neck etc - it's maybe the best acoustic I've ever played, certainly the best I've owned (including my dads old D28 Martin) and I haven't hardly played it at all after going electric. The value there is that you can't really create an acoustic tone, authentically electric (at least not to my ear), and a good acoustic

This is all probably old news to the electric guys in this thread, but for me it's been an eye opening, cool and fun experience.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
My fingers are still hurting, and it really struggle to get good sound at the first few frets, was looking on some forums and it looks like the action is super high, pretty much at the top, i need to adjust it down should i use a caliper to make sure both sides are even? Or just make sure I turn the exact same amount on both sides?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've never been a big fan of physically measuring what bthe action was. If your action is very high at the low frets, you probably need to adjust your truss rod first.

My typical steps are

1. Fret the first fret on low E and fret the fret where the neck meets the body, for me that's like fret 18.
2. Look at the distance between the low E string and the metal fret. If you can fit anything more than a business card in there you need to tighten your truss (1/4 turn at a time if you're new to it). Let it settle for 30 minutes and measure again

Keep in mind that if frets are uneven you may need to adjust the truss differently to eliminate buzzing.

For bridge height, you'll want to pay attention to buzzing on 12+ on all strings. I usually go as low as I can and then raise the bridge until the buzzing goes away on all the frets I care about. You'll notice I said frets I care about - that's because on some guitars you'll have a hard time eliminating all buzz and if you aren't playing fret 24 ever you might not care that it buzzes on the low E

If you have something like individual saddles that can raise or lower then when you're doing this you'll want to make sure they match the curve of your fretboard, the radius.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well fuck that sounds complicated for a newbie like me, sounds like time to visit my buddy who builds custom guitars for a checkup, if only his hypochondriac daughter would shut the fuck up about visitors.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's not as bad as it sounds and learning it is beneficial

Just if you do the truss rod wrong you can snap it

Borzak

I know one thing after playing acoustic for 3 solid days. String are larger gauge and I can tell. When I first getting caluses before I took my blood sugar with a prick to the ringer and it took almost no time on the electric years ago. I no longer use the prick on my finger and I can tell the difference in heavier strings.

• 1Like