The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The reason I stopped participating in any guitar communities was because of how big the circle jerks got. I found myself only participating to build up a reputation so I could trade gear with other people.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Anybody have any experience with old Ampeg amps? I was thinking about picking up a 70's V4 but have only ever heard bass players play through Ampegs. Right now I'm using a Fender hotrod deluxe 112 but I definitely am going to need an upgrade in the next month for playing out again and was wanting a vintage sounding tube amp to go with the guitars that I've been using.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been using an Ampeg 4x12 for years that was probably made for a V4, with a ~150-200 watt non-master volume tube head (an Earth Sound Research, fwiw). The cabinet is a fucking beast. I put EVM12L in it and now... Now (after you find a buddy to help you lift it) you could use the Ampeg 4x12 to physically smash a Marshall 4x12 into tiny little pieces while you're still playing through the Ampeg, and it'll keep on sounding perfect the whole time. The V4 looks like it's right up my alley, personally, but that alley is a fairly narrow one that basically only includes "Keep It Simple Stupid" and "turn it up".

However, just going off of you wanting "a vintage sounding tube amp," is kind of impossible to make a good recommendation one way or the other. It would be really helpful to try to be more specific, maybe about the kind of sound you're looking for and the kinds of guitars you're playing.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I was setup for post rock before, a ton of echo and reverb and several inline overdrives through a Fender 4x10 hotrod with a Telecaster Plus Deluxe. I'll probably stick with the Tele as a utility guitar since it's kind of chameloen and plays a lot faster than any other Tele that I've picked up while being able to sound like almost anything I've needed but I'm probably going to rely on a Gretsch Corvette for my main guitar and use a Gretsch BST as my backup or rhythm. I really like the sound of the old hilotrons. I'm want to try to see if I can get a Mogwai/Mono sound into something more lyrically structured and similar to Red Fang/Baroness/QOTSA/Jay Reatard.

I'm in Tucson so we're all kind of at some edge of the alt-country fringe here so that's probably going to sneak into some things as well.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I know I've posted some Ian Thornley before. The playing in this clip is absolutely nuts. Go to 4:20 in.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Also, I picked up a Korg Pandora Stomp. Pretty cool multieffects unit that's the size of a regular pedal, built like a tank, and has a great tuner display (like on a Pitchblack) on top.

I'm getting a new amp (downsizing from the Rivera) and the one I want is on police hold at GC for a month, so I'll be playing on that through headphones for a while.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know I've posted some Ian Thornley before. The playing in this clip is absolutely nuts. Go to 4:20 in.
rrr_img_57302.jpg

Seriously. Everything video I see of that guy posted here rips.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Any of you guys ever done vocal lessons? I don't think I want to do them AND guitar lessons simultaneously, but was thinking about doing a couple just to learn some basics.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I think I'm going to get my LP painted orange. Like the Dukes of Hazzard car color, that candy orange, but without the confederate flags.

I think it'd look pretty cool with the cream pickguard, cream pickup covers, cream binding, and gold knobs; and it's not the original finish anyway so resale would be affected.

What do you guys think? What kind of finish do I want to look for? I want to leave the back (mahogany) and neck (3 piece maple) as they are, especially the neck because it plays so smooth.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I think I'm going to get my LP painted orange. Like the Dukes of Hazzard car color, that candy orange, but without the confederate flags.

I think it'd look pretty cool with the cream pickguard, cream pickup covers, cream binding, and gold knobs; and it's not the original finish anyway so resale would be affected.

What do you guys think? What kind of finish do I want to look for? I want to leave the back (mahogany) and neck (3 piece maple) as they are, especially the neck because it plays so smooth.
Don't go shit-ass Dukes Orange. Have some class, sir. This is a custom that I have - it's actually MOPAR (automotive) paint called Brazen Orange. They used it on the last gen GTO. That color w/a black burst + nitro clear = this.

Bunch more pics here.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I don't want a burst, and that'd look like shit with cream hardware. The base paint color might be alright though, now that I look at it. I want a sortof hot rod car feel to it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Candy red is the quintessential hot rod color. Plus, that'll look badass with cream hardware and gold hardware.