The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Already recommended harmonycentral a million times. The electric guitar forum was all blues dudes last time I was there. All the metal heads and shredders hung out in the amp forum.

It may have changed as I haven't been there in many years.

Could also try sevenstring.org
smile.png

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I might try either harmonycentral or the Les Paul forums, now that I have one (although I'll hear a lot of junk about how Norlin era Pauls are crap if I go there, I suspect).

Also, I'm picking up that POD HD bean; too good a deal to pass up, thanks for linking to it. Is there any good way to run it into a cab? If I'm understanding correctly, I'd need a powered cab or a power amp pedal to do that, since it can't power a cab on its own.

Okay, I think I have the plan figured out. Going to get that POD HD, and get a used Atomic Reactor 1x12 to run it into through GC. Those powered cabs have really good reviews, and the amp modeling in the HD is supposed to be really good. So I'd functionally have a ton of different amps, in a manageable size and weight, for $200 more than I have outstanding right now (I'd take back the Lunchbox).

Seventh

Golden Squire
If you think Reddit is full of cunts, you won't like Harmony Central one bit, haha.

The Reactor is a good little wedge. Keep in mind that FRFR (which is what an HD into an Atomic is) does NOT sound like a regular amp. It's the sound of a MIC'D amp and cab through the wedge. So if you're looking for big tube-y amp tone, that setup isn't going to do it for you. I run my Axe-Fx (another modeler) into both an FRFR wedge setup and a regular power amp and proper 4x12. They each serve different purposes - I dig them both, but purists definitely like the sound of a real guitar cabinet better.

Depending on what you're looking to spend (I don't know what the Atomic goes for these days), there are a couple of other options. I have a pair ofMackie HD1221s that I run in stereo, and I like them a lot more than the Atomic. People have also said good things about theSeismic 12too.

The amp modeling in the HD is decent, but the cab modeling sucks. You will probably dig it for your lower gain stuff though. Modelers in general take some getting used to, and if you aren't into tweaking the shit out of basically everything, you may quickly get frustrated.

Seventh

Golden Squire
You play blues. Get any tube Fender blues amp, shove a G/Major in the effects loop, unleash pentatonic glory.

Or something like a Mesa Nomad, if you don't mind spending a bit more. I HATE the Nomad, but blues guys love it, which is like a double endorsement.

Or my standard response: Get a 5150, because everyone should own a 5150 once in their life. \m/

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I've played through that Pubster, but not the Chubster. They sound as good as something like a Princeton or a Deluxe Reverb, for what I'm doing anyway, at a really good price, and Rivera amps have a good reputation.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Can I refer any noise complaints my neighbors make to you guys, too, if I get one?
If you had a block letter 5150, you wouldn't hear their complaints anyway. They would be lost in a WALL OF GLORIOUS METAL TONE FORGED UPON THE ANVIL OF THE APOCALYPSE.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Hahahaha. Anyway, I picked up the Rivera, they're letting me try it out for a few days but I think it'll work well for what I want to do. It's still a LITTLE loud for my apartment, but it's got nice cleans even at low volumes which is what I really care about

Seventh

Golden Squire
Hahahaha. Anyway, I picked up the Rivera, they're letting me try it out for a few days but I think it'll work well for what I want to do. It's still a LITTLE loud for my apartment, but it's got nice cleans even at low volumes which is what I really care about
Buy that $199 pod HD bean, run it in the effects loop of the Rivera for effects, and then use it standalone with the amp modeling on for evening playing.

You can also just run it into the clean channel on your amp, and use the output on the bean to lower the volume as much as you like.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I find the reddit guitar sub pretty informative but it suffers from basically every reddit sub: parroting hivemind of the uninformed (ie: they hate Schecter for reasons I haven't discovered.) But it seems like certain posters just know absolutely everything there is to know about the guitar from a theoretical point of view which I always find amazing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd put the 5150 in top 5 amps I've ever played for metal. The only amp I really enjoyed so much more was my Engl Fireball. Again right up Duppin's alley.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've had a lot of offers on my LP too, mostly because it's an oddball (you probably will never see one that looks like mine, I've only seen one other). I dont' even really play it because it's tough to shred on, but I figure it's something to pass down through the generations.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I actually started that site. Ran it for ~5 years, sold it (to the guy that owns the Les Paul forums) and bought a car.
biggrin.png
Wow dude. That's pretty cool. I like that place. With djentcraze it's getting pretty massive these days, but definitely a cool spot to learn about some of the more modern edge metal gear out there. I got turned on to BKPs from these guys for example.

I think guitar communities get pretty circle jerky with each other and it gets worse the larger the user base. I love the fact that all bass players are on Talkbass and it's a great spot to get deals on used gear or learn about new stuff coming out, but really lacks on just good discussion. Too many people to have that. I posted on a Jackson forum for a while that had a good mix of educated posters and general discussion.

Did you start Jemsite too? Haha.