The Official Guitar Thread

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Ended up getting this model Taylor

416ce | Taylor Guitars

Which is not what I was thinking I'd walk away with. Went in wanting a traditional dreadnaught and was really attached to the Gibson aesthetics, but this guy just destroyed those on playability. Really liked the Martins I tried too but where they maybe equaled in feel I liked the sound of this one the best. I'm reading the ovangkol tonewood is supposed to be a little darker but that's not how I'd describe the tone. Anyway, took your advice. Played a bunch. Don't think I'll have any regrets here. It's a really nice guitar.

Now to learn some panty dropper licks.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Any of you guys play bass along with guitar? I picked it up recently and I'm having more fun than I've had with guitar in a long time.
I started with guitar, but switched to bass as my full-time instrument a few years ago. I like it a lot more in general.

It's kinda rough if you get in with a crew that have an archaic understanding of a bass guitar's role in a band, but fortunately, you can always pick your band mates.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I started with guitar, but switched to bass as my full-time instrument a few years ago. I like it a lot more in general.

It's kinda rough if you get in with a crew that have an archaic understanding of a bass guitar's role in a band, but fortunately, you can always pick your band mates.
lol, bassist thinking his opinion matters.

Shut the hell up and play roots for us to shred over. Then go put gas in the band van.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
we don't have a van
frown.png

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just got my Ibanez back from the shop. It was a buzzy mess out of the box from Ibanez Rules, but a neck shim later and it's heavenly. Two of the guys from Heritage decided to start their own shop part time, and they do really nice work.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sigh, I gotta start playing again. I miss it.

Though I realize I'm consumed by bad habits. Starting with improper pick holding :S

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I've been away from guitar for a loooooong time but recently started playing again. Here's my problem. My kids like to sleep at roughly the only time I can play and my old Marshall Valvestate 8080 doesn't have a headphone jack. Does anyone have suggestions for what I can/should do to listen to some good distorted guitar through headhpones? My options seem to be (a) buy a new practice amp with a headphone jack, (b) get a headphone tap - will that even work, I'm totally guessing, I read it on the Internet but I've no idea - or (c) plug my guitar into my computer and somehow do something magical to make metally sound come out of my PC headphones. In case it matters, yes, normally I can practice on an acoustic but when I actually want to enjoy myself and hear my shitty death-metal playing late at night ... what should I do? Any suggestions or wisdom appreciated.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Get an effects processor. They have headphone jacks. Growing up my room was next to my parents' room and my GNX3 allowed me to do my worst John Petrucci impressions at all hours.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The POD's are pretty great for exactly what you're asking.

Jeff Loomis even recorded a whole bunch of the Nevermore albums using one

Seventh

Golden Squire
Yep, just get a Pod. The GNX3 that Alex mentioned is still a decent little unit, but extremely outdated now. (I had one for ages.) Sub-$500 you can't go wrong with a Pod HD.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Fantastic! Thanks guys. I had no idea where to begin looking. I'll check out a POD asap. Really appreciate it.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Fantastic! Thanks guys. I had no idea where to begin looking. I'll check out a POD asap. Really appreciate it.
Pod HD500 is the place to start. The old Pod XTs are shitty piles of fizzy awful, but the HD series are actually decent. Lackluster cabinet emulation on them and they don't support user impulses (which is bullshit nowadays) but aside from that, not bad.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Thanks once again! It seemed like a no-brainer to go with the HD500 since it was right in my price range. Got it home today and...holy shit! It is EXACTLY the thing I was looking for. Having a blast with it and it gave me that "just a few more minutes playing" vibe I used to get when I was young. Yes, a lot of the presets are gimicky; and yes, it is a bit intimidating to learn. But for late night playing and noodling while my kids are asleep this is a dream machine. Included with picture is my beat-to-crap Warlock with EMG-85 hah hah. I know I should buy a new guitar at some point but I really just love playing that Warlock.

rrr_img_92298.jpg