The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, it's nice to set a bar to learn a ridiculous complex and difficult song. You definitely get better doing that. I really should get back to doing that. Need something to push me farther than what I've been doing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
In other news, I just went to Guitar Center and impulsively bought this. Love the dirty channel on Orange amps. The presence on this thing kills my Fender.

11391096_10152794203141218_3179662781039598884_n.jpg

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I like to think of learning to play hard songs as levelling up. When I first started playing guitar, after about 4 months I got obsessed by Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Song took me like 6 months to play at full speed (and shitty vibrato), and I felt afterwards that I was a much much better guitarist. Same goes nowadays when I try to learn Children of Bodom songs.. but the old ones are hard as fuck, Alexi can shred.

I just cannot compute how people can play shit like that and sing at the same time. My attempts to sing and play the beginning of Rocky Racoon were hilarious and like trying to divide by zero.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I was definitely at my very best as a guitar player when trying to learn Follow the Reaper solos in like...2004. I really can't stand that type of music today and my playing has suffered because of it. Hah.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I spent a long time learning follow the reaper and kissing the shadows. Was not very good at it but definitely made me a much better player trying to learn.

Moebiwan

shitlord
Traded a couple of six packs of Guinness for these three dismantled MLs a few days ago. Started sanding them last night but now I've got to decide on paint colors. Should be a fun project.

rrr_img_100761.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Could never get into that body style. Fucks up the balance of the guitar so much.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah man that's a good deal. It all depends on the neck/body heaviness ratio

I had a Jackson V where the neck was heavier than the body and it just sucked to play.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah man that's a good deal. It all depends on the neck/body heaviness ratio

I had a Jackson V where the neck was heavier than the body and it just sucked to play.
Also pretty much every Gibson SG, at least on the factory strap points.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I've had one Gibson SG in my life, an SG deluxe, and it was the most awkward guitar that I've ever owned. Never really thought about it until now but it was like an unbalanced cooking knife, it just felt really off and top heavy. it sounded awesome and was really bright which ended up working well for more jazz sounding songs but I'm all but positive that's not what i should have been wanting to use that guitar for.

What are your guys' thoughts on the current state of Gibson? I really haven't been compelled to pick one up for a very long time now and, talking with fellow musicians and even some of the guys at my local guitar store, I'm hearing that quality control has taken a sharp nosedive in the past 10 years. Two people, in particular, had always just imagined a Les Paul as a dream instrument but after making enough cash gigging around to afford one they were really disappointed in having to take a factory new guitar next door to the repair shop and, immediately, having it set up for them. I've heard the same complaints about Gretsch and a few of the other big name manufacturers but have been keeping myself to vintage instruments for so long now that I'm out of the loop for how the newer ones are faring. I guess in contrast I'd add that even the 60's guitars that I've bought still sound cherry right out of a ramshackle shipping box so the fact that new Gibsons are buzzing out of the factory seems odd. I've messed around with the high end Fenders, PRS, Jackson, Taylor and Martin right off of the wall at the store and they all sound incredible but new Gretsch and Rickenbacker have sounded like absolute shit. I've never played music that really needed that Gibson guitar to pull off so I'm wondering if you block letter 5150 guys would have some clearer input on the situation?

Additional question; I'm needing to start playing music that requires a block letter 5150 and, possibly, a Gibson (although I do already own my own from the early 90's so I'm sort of set on that front but I think that I'm going Jackson). Any recommendations on good fingering exercises or a good lesson plan for getting more into metal guitar playing? I'm starting to plateau with my current style and my old piano brain is trying to convince my guitar playing brain that precision is key so I'd really like to hear your thoughts on that as well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Gibson is just terrible price/value anymore. The nicer Epiphones have better fit and finish than anything not Gibson Custom. I've seen things like missing control knobs (not fell off even, just not in the box...), twisted necks (on a $2800 guitar...) and cold solder joints on a humbucker on a LP standard.

I think I'd look at a PRS or EBMM over a new Gibson at this point, unless you are willing to go 5k+ on price.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Added a Gretsch White Panther to the fleet today. I've been wanting something to fit between my PRS 24 and Les Paul, with a bit more ring to it. I was shopping the ES-335's and fell across this. A Gretsch double cut with a spruce center block. I've ALWAYS wanted a White Falcon, but I couldn't stand the feedback issues due to the complete hollow body. Gretsch has gotten smart with this one, adding the center block which removes the feedback issues and gives the tone a lot more muscle. Played this one after the ES-335 and was instantly sold.
rrr_img_104497.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I really want an ES335 but I have a problem when the Epiphone 600 one sounds better than the Gibson 2000 one... the problem is the Epiphone 'nice' ones come with all this electronic bullshit on them now (or at least the ones I've seen). Maybe I should go Gretsch too?

xKALECx

I will tell you that I'm LOVING this guitar. That said, it's got a sound all its own and can be a bit Muddy at times and jangly at others. Sonically it's a beast and the sustain holds for days. As with all Gretsch guitars, you have to learn how to tame them or they will lose control.

xKALECx

Gibson is just terrible price/value anymore. The nicer Epiphones have better fit and finish than anything not Gibson Custom. I've seen things like missing control knobs (not fell off even, just not in the box...), twisted necks (on a $2800 guitar...) and cold solder joints on a humbucker on a LP standard.

I think I'd look at a PRS or EBMM over a new Gibson at this point, unless you are willing to go 5k+ on price.
Couldn't agree more. I have two Les Paul Standards, a 76 and a 88, and they play great. However these were well before the chambered bodies and the well known fall in quality. I also have 2 PRS, a custom 24 and a first year Mira from the custom shop. When shopping for those two I played dozens of PRS guitars and they all played exceptional. It finally came down to finish. Even their lower end stuff is fantastic and much higher quality than most any Gibson made currently.

I'd STRONGLY recommend a PRS McCarty. All the Les Paul you'd ever want with twice the quality.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My 1976 Gibson LP Custom is awesome, but the drop in quality in recent years basically ensures I'll never buy one again

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
For min-maxing price/quality I think it's hard to beat PRS SEs and Schecter guitars. I've never really played one that I didn't enjoy.

I've had the same Carvin SC90 for years and I don't think I'll ever buy another guitar that will take over as my primary axe.