The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't find the video right now but I do a few exercises once or twice a day. You'll need a metronome (app) - there are plenty of free ones. I do (first two aren't related, but they are still good):

1. Practice downstrokes - Using a metronome find a speed where doing 8th or 16th notes down strokes on the low E string (palm muted) is just below as fast as you can go. I saw 8 th or 16th notes because if you use quarter notes you'll eventually have to use a way too fast speed on the metronome. Set the metronome to that speed and continually chug along these notes for 3 minutes. If your forearm starts to burn (it will), drop the speed by 10BPM and continue.

2. Practice alternate picking - Same thing as above, but with alternate picking. You'll want to feel this one. 3 minutes.

3. Practice fretting hand speed - Put your index finger on the 3rd string 5th fret. Now hammer-on and off on the 6th fret as fast as you can and make sure the noise is audible (not light touch). After 15 seconds do the same thing but with 5th fret and 7th fret. After 15s do 5th fret and 8th fret - all the while, making sure you use Index and Middle, then Index and Ring, and then Index and Pinky. After 15s doing that, move your middle finger down on the 6th fret and start hammering on-off with the 7th fret. Another 15s and do 6th and 8th. Finally, put down your ring finger and do 7th fret and 8th fret. You'll feel the burn and want to quit - but make sure you do the complete exercise - this will build speed in your fretting hand.

4. Practice both hands - Set a metronome to a speed again where you can do this exercise cleanly but it is still difficult for you - clean is the key. On the sixth string in 8th or 16th notes pluck 6th string 1st fret, then 2nd fret, then 3rd, then 4th. Now move onto 5th string. Go all the way up to the 1st string. After doing the 1st string, put your pinky onto the 5th fret and go down 5-4-3-2, then 2nd string, etc. Continue this until you complete the 12th-15th fret version, and then drop down a fret and go in reverse up the board. I try to do this for 3 minutes too.

Alternatively on the 4th exercise you can do a pattern like fret 1, then 3, then 2, then 4. It's difficult.

The video explains it way better than me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I tried real hard for 2 weeks bros. Every single fucking 5150 I tried to buy the deal fell through or the shithead flaked out on.

I bought a 6505+ instead, couldn't deal with it anymore.

Let the metal commence.

Also found out why my action was so high. The studs on my floyd rose were seized up, little wd-40 and complete disassembly and everything is good. Now I don't even want to trade this guitar away.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Damn right. \m/
Tried hard to get a 5150 but lot of flakes. Even the guitarist from cryptopsy was going to stop in Boston on tour and sell it to me but mysteriously sold it.

At least the 6505 is newer I guess. Waiting like a little kid at Christmas. Sold all my gear to fund school so finally buying something new is exciting. I'm even setting up my recording equipment

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know I keep double-posting, but I can't help it.

I'm trading my guitar for this....

rrr_img_126335.jpg

Bowe's SLx7:
26" scale
12-25 half scallop on the treble side for smooth bends and vibrato
Bare Knuckle Ceramic Warpigs
1 piece ash body
Purpleheart/figured maple neck
Solid ash headstock with straight string pull
Cocobolo fretboard
Petrucci 3 way 250k CTS pot Threaded Output jack
Luminlay side dots
Hipshot bridge
Graphtech nut
Hipshot tuners

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While the actual songs from the new Muse album I don't think are the best they're damn fun to play along to. I especially like Reapers.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Reapers is dope and I think is one of their best songs (musically) since Black Holes material.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah man I made a post on your site asking for reviews and he responded. Two fret ends are popping up and he said he'd drive out to fix it, but I think we live too far so I'll need to find a quality luthier, maybe one that has worked on cocobolo. I don't really want to send the guitar to Canada in the winter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Bowes came in, pics in spoiler.

Overall 10/10 on craftsmanship. Neck is really thick at the top and then sort of thins out towards the upper frets, it has a V shape too - will definitely take getting used to. The body is like 1.5 inches thick, so it's weird in that regard, it's also incredibly light.

Another thing that will take getting used to is the Hipshot bridge. I've been using Ibanez Edge's and my Gibson's Tune-o-matic for so long now, the Hipshot is SUPER low to the body. My hand feels like it wants to be another half an inch higher, but I do like it. Also Frets 4 and 5 are slightly raised on the edge of the board, it will need to get fixed. Brian from Bowes offered to fix it, but he lives in Toronto and I'm in MA so we'll see - might try to find a local reputable luthier.

All that said, it's an amazing guitar. I was letting it acclimate to MA last night since it came from the south and we had negative temps out the last week. I guess I'll just have to bring it to Seventh's house and let him try it out.

One downside to this. I ordered my 6505+ on 2/9, paid in full. Guy fucking shipped it out yesterday on 2/18 and it won't be here until Tuesday. Really pissed me off, as I wanted to get my rig setup in time for the arrival of the Bowes, but no dice. I'm really excited to hear the BKP Ceramic Warpigs in this thing.

8FQI0lr.jpg

cPGKT9h.jpg

WDTYmgA.jpg

aIukyp6.jpg

iFmebQa.jpg

8FQI0lr.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Noodle are you aware that appears to be a candle using a cardboard box as an endtable?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah Cocobolo looks so good. I've read that as the wood ages it gets darker. It definitely is already starting to darken up, you can tell from the pics - I saw it when it was first built and it was almost white maple.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's pretty hard to come along pieces of cocobolo with sapwood. Pretty nice looking instrument!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm trading the Bowes guitar away - didn't fall in love with it too much and a guitar I've wanted since I was 16 came up. It's a Caparison Dellinger. Back down to 6 strings. Since this is my guitar blog now I'll post pics when it shows up.

I'm dealing with a kid that couldn't ship it today because he doesn't have money in his account to pay for shipping........ how he has several thousand dollar guitars I don't know.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Interested in your take on those. I've always wanted to see one in person just to say I've got some understanding of the build quality. I'd assume it's pretty high. They started pretty boutique and guitars made in Japan are still obviously highly regarded. They just got so much metalcore hype back in the early 00s. For the price I assume you're paying you could get a USA Jackson Soloist. I have one of the mahogany body/neck versions and it's right up there with my PRS in build quality.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My friend has a Caparison Horus from 1996 and he loves it, although he puts it below his two J Customs (fuck him). I'm doing a trade, the Bowes for the Dellinger, so at least there's no money lost - and I traded up from my Ibanez RG550, so I guess I'm making out pretty good.

I've played a few USA Soloists and the problems I had with the ones I played were the painted necks, I can't deal with that.