The Official Guitar Thread

Duppin_sl

shitlord
What picks do you guys use? I switched from 1.14mm Dunlop Gator Grips to .88mm nylon Max-Grips, because it seems easier to strum with them and the Max-Grip helps me feel whether the pick is in the right place in my hand.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What picks do you guys use? I switched from 1.14mm Dunlop Gator Grips to .88mm nylon Max-Grips, because it seems easier to strum with them and the Max-Grip helps me feel whether the pick is in the right place in my hand.
I was going to ask that same question, as I'm trying out different picks to see what feels most comfortable. I'm going to just head over to the local guitar store tomorrow and buy one of everything and see what I like best. Same with strings, and string size. I've read so many different opinion online it's information overload.

Anyway, here's a picture of my new guitar and practice amp:

2dbl92c.jpg

2dbl92c.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
These picks and strings. Been using them for years.

rrr_img_7484.jpg

rrr_img_7485.jpg

That tele looks slick. I've been considering getting one for a while now.

rrr_img_7484.jpg

rrr_img_7485.jpg

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Jazz III are probably not a great choice for a newbie though, are they? I tried to use one but I didn't feel like I had good control of it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Jazz III are probably not a great choice for a newbie though, are they? I tried to use one but I didn't feel like I had good control of it.
That's probably true. I didn't start using them until I had been playing for a bit. Four or five years.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's a slick looking setup. I want to try out one of those amps soon. Not that I know anything at all, but I've been using Ultex .73 picks after having tried Tortex and Ultex in different sizes.

Tenks

I think I put acoustic strings on my Schecter last time I changed the strings on it. They were the only ones I had laying around =/

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_7520.jpg

I love a thick low end. It's a lot richer sound out of a heavy string. I've got some cobalt ones on my Dean too, and they're definitely a different sound than the nickel strings on my other 2.

Dunlop Tortex Purples (1.14). I have some of every color laying around and grabbed a red yesterday to fuck around with something quick and my accuracy dropped to shit. The heavier the better. My buddy swears that you can't go heavy picks in really low tunings, he said in drop A, all they'd do is push shit around, so he was using pretty thin picks for then, but I don't spend a lot of time below C#, so I can't speak to that effect yet.

I also have a couple bags of Dunlop Speedpicks laying around for when we're playing standing up or fucking around in Rocksmith or something. They've got a 10 degree angle on the pick, helps keep it set up correctly when you've got your guitar slung low like you should have because up high ain't metal, dawg.

Honestly, it's all about what feels the best to you. I did the same as everyone else here it looks like...bought a bag of every pick, and I've got probably a dozen different strings to go through too. I like the way Tortex feels, and I'm still working out which strings I like the best. DR Neons feel great to me, but I don't like the shit flecking off on my pickups.

rrr_img_7520.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
.11s, your callouses must be intense.
The wound-G is the most difficult string by far with those strings. Bending that a whole step takes a lot of finger strength. But I like the really thick strings. You can really dig in an get monster tone and sustain.

Tenks

My Schecter has always had a wound G by my Agile doesn't. My Agile has pretty light strings in general. I can bend those so easily compared to the ultra fat strings I keep on the Schecter.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
The wound-G is the most difficult string by far with those strings. Bending that a whole step takes a lot of finger strength. But I like the really thick strings. You can really dig in an get monster tone and sustain.
Agreed. The .9s crowd is missing out on the world of difference in going up to .10s and .11s.

Tone so fat, you could go make a ham sandwich and come back. Spinal Tap for life.

Stosh

Apologies if this sounds more like a blog than a post, but hopefully another noob will learn something from this.

Went to a couple of the local guitar stores today. Bought a shitload of various picks to play with. Originally assumed that a medium 73mm pick was best for me and ordered a dozen last week via Amazon, turns out as previously mentioned by Duppin that a thicker pick provides me with better control. Found I liked the star cutout on theEverly brand.Going to order a dozen of them.

Swallowed pride and told random store clerks I was a beginner and had no clue as to what strings I should buy. Clerks at both stores recommended I start with .09s, and I ended up buying two each of Ernie Ball Super Slinky's, D'Aaddario XL's, Dean Markley Blue Steel, GHS boomers and Everly B-52s. Spent the afternoon watching various YouTube string changing videos. Of all I watched, I found this video to be the most helpful for me:

Unfortunately I ruined the low E and A strings on both D'Addario packs but by the time I tried the first pack of Ernie Ball's I'd gotten the hang of it. In my experience, stretching the low E, A and D strings took more time and extra stretching than the G, B and high E strings. I assume this is normal. I snapped two A's and one low E over tightening the strings while tuning, and turned the post in the wrong direction on the first low E string ruining it. Cost me like $9 in broken strings to learn the finer points of string replacement, such as as how much extra length I need to get 2.5 to 3 turns for each of the various strings on my particular tuning posts. Lesson was worth it to me.

Installed strap locks today too. Was easy and quick enough, except for a side trip to the hardware store to get some wood glue to lightly coat the replacement screws to get a tight and firm hold. Was showing wife how it worked, when the tip that you pull to release the strap popped off, so I had to remove the hardware from the strap, and grab the threaded post with needle nose pliers to detach it from the guitar, so I could firmly re-screw the tip into the threaded post. Later I stumbled upon a video showing how the red rubber gasket from a bottle of Grolsh beer with the swing top could be used to hold the strap to the strap button. If I had not already purchased the straplock, I'd have probably bought a six pack of Grolsh instead.

I can't play for shit as of yet, but I'm well on my way to becoming guitar tech.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Zero experience here with ever recording at home.

I have a PC near my gear. I need a drum machine of some sort and an 8 track, just for personal use. Just me with tracks for drums, bass, 2-3 gutars and vocals.

Found a decent looking forum and particularly a newb thread. But drowning in new info.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general...thread-282550/

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Is there a such thing as a decent multi-effects pedal? Something sufficient for a newbie to fuck around with?

My amp has some built-in effects but you can only use one at a time and they're mediocre.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
My gear, i have the normal duotone 100w head from H&K not the signature one, marshall cabinett and tuner and chorus not in pictures.Gibson is a Sg faded and the squier is a jagmaster. Some are from the web as i dont have picks of my guitars. The pedal one is the only pick i have without my mug in it. The delays and twosome are boutique(don't like that word) so is the spring chicken which is a reverb and was limited edition, bought for 200, sells for 380 now i belive on ebay and hand wired. Sorry for the big pic, and yea i like delay.

rrr_img_7800.png
rrr_img_7801.jpg
rrr_img_7802.jpg
rrr_img_7803.jpg
rrr_img_7804.gif
rrr_img_7805.jpg

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Is there a such thing as a decent multi-effects pedal? Something sufficient for a newbie to fuck around with?

My amp has some built-in effects but you can only use one at a time and they're mediocre.
The Line 6 M9 got pretty decent reviews when it came out. I like pedals so never tried it, but alot of forums and pedal geeks said it was good, you also have the M13, but you said newbie so that would be overkill. If you want less you also have the M5.

M5:

rrr_img_7808.jpg

M9:

rrr_img_7809.jpg

M13:

rrr_img_7810.jpg

If you want to go hardcore, the axe Fx is the king. It even has it's own wiki site.

rrr_img_7811.jpg