The Official Guitar Thread

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Not be be a negative nancy, but look up reviews. Digitech multi effects are crap and feels cheap and sound poor. Bad build, the expression pedal(footswitch wah wah) and all are plastic etc YMMV. Put in a few more dollars and get something abit better. To explain abit, they will provide you with FX, but will break down and generally sound crap after a few months.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not be be a negative nancy, but look up reviews. Digitech multi effects are crap and feels cheap and sound poor. Bad build, the expression pedal(footswitch wah wah) and all are plastic etc YMMV. Put in a few more dollars and get something abit better. To explain abit, they will provide you with FX, but will break down and generally sound crap after a few months.
I had a variation of the multi-effects processor I posted for years. Still worked when I sold it on eBay a couple years ago. That pedal had to be 15 years old. I eventually moved on to the GNX3, but for someone with zero experience with pedals or effects, it's a good start.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
...but for someone with zero experience with pedals or effects, it's a good start.
very true, so i'll just shut up, my point was mainly if you are worried about true bypass and good "tone" mojo and all that bs, cheap multi fx's won't cut it, but seeing again this was not the topic, ill shut up- Once you get into the boutique game you become a jaded fuck, stay away. Playing for 13 years i realised you don't need expensive gear to sound good, just decent, specially in a band/live setting, the crowd has no fucks to give as long as you rock.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I don't need anything super fancy at this point, I just want to get into effects a little and start learning what the various ones do. I fully intend to have to replace it if I get super serious. Looked at a few of them at Guitar Center today, going to poke around some online. They had a nice Boss one for about $200 that I have my eye on.

BOSS ME-25

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Again no offence to Alex, but Boss stuff is usually built like a tank as opposed to digitech multis. Before you buy anything i would suggest checking out YT vid's of people showcasing the pedals and read a few reviews and listen to the sounds. Don't just buy on impulse. There is alot of diversity amongst the different builds.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I didn't think the build quality on the Digitech ones I looked at was great. I'm sure they work fine and I don't plan on beating the snot out of anything I do get, but I don't like flimsily made stuff in general. The Boss ones looked solid.

Definitely going to poke around and do research.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Digitech might build great sounding shit, but i'd rather have a metal frame instead of a plastic one incase i get in the groove and stomp the shit out of the distortion.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ola is awesome, he wore my band's shirt onstage this year on their north american tour. I love his amp videos a lot

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure how many of you do any recording/mixing, but my buddy Ola (guitarist in Six Feet Under/Feared) is hosting a mixing competition sponsored by my site. Prizes are a bunch of awesome goodies if you care to enter.
Man that's a great site. I've missed it if you posted it recently. You should put it in your sig.

So coincidence is I've spent the last week reading up on home/small studio recording. I have - just this minute - finished ordering everything I decided upon and was going to grab a drink, head here and start a 'noobie' help thread on what I've learned the last few days.

It's a lot easier and can be a lot cheaper than I expected. I'm going to throw that thread together over the next hour or two - I wonder if we can get a few guys started from scratch and entering that competition over the next month !

Duppin_sl

shitlord
New acoustic:

rrr_img_7967.jpg

It's aTanglewood TW28-CLN. The natural cedar finish is beautiful, and it sounds really nice.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Do you still have the red RG? I love the Xiphos, had to create new placement for the strap holes though because the balance was so off.
Nope, worst mistake I ever made. It was an RG3120, regular price was usually around $1200-1500 new but I bought one when they discontinued them for $600. It played like shit and then I put a shim in the neck and made it the best guitar ever. The RG550 is a close second.

I still have the Gibson LP Custom but I literally never play it.

rrr_img_7969.jpg

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I started playing at 21 and my first guitar was an Acoustic-Electric Taylor 410 CE and man that thing sounded great then and sounds even better. 6 years later I bought a Taylor 916 CE and I have never heard a brighter but still holding a nice deep bass tone, richer more absurdly beautiful guitar. I actually ordered this one direct because when you drop this kind of change on a guitar you really don't want anyone who walks into a guitar store fumbling around with it. I am not a snob its just because of the immense price and moreso beauty and sound I wanted a perfect one. If you can afford it I swear by Taylor for acoustic sound and do not think they can be beat. I have several friends with high-end Martins that sold those and moved onto Taylor after playing either of mine. I play lead guitar and also lead sing in several bands (both cover and original) and I write everything on the 916 CE, it is a truly inspirational instrument.

My first electric came 2 years later and was a 1999 American Strat Plus wood grain with white pickup guard. This is my goto guitar for normal playing, self practice, band practice and I also use it for about 50 percent of my gig playing. 4 years later I bought an original 1958 custom Les Paul after fiddling with a few at a pawn shop and the local guitar shop. This thing is heavy and thick compared to the Fender but has the most amazing tone and is just straight buttery brilliance. When I am doing heavy lead work this is my goto guitar. If I am playing with my cover band and we are doing jam band music this is what I do my leads on. This is the guitar that splits time at gigs with my fender. I am in the market for a late 70's like 78 or 79 Telecaster as well as a Gibson Blueshawk 1994. Those will be my next two purchases.

My next purchase was in a blues bar in Seattle Washington. I saw they had a 1958 ES 335 sitting behind plexiglass and asked to play it. It turns out it sounded great and was in good shape besides some character marks on the back(made obviously by the original owner leaning it against his belt heh). I talked for about an hour with the owner of the bar and he wanted braces for his kid and was short cash at the moment. I offered him some cash and he took it. I was lucky, this guitar sounds great and is a beauty of a piece.

I am so finicky when it comes to amps and it shows in my collection of rigs. The workhorse of my amps would be my Mesa Boogie Rectoverb Head and 4 x 12 Rectifier Cabinet and my Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket. These are my most used gigging amplifiers. I own two Orange amps as well that see some time on the stage: an Ad50 head (a monster) and a Thunderverb 200 Head which I use with and 4x12 400 W PPC412 HP Cabinet. My facourite amp though is a Rivera Sedona 55 Acoustic Electric any guitar sounds amazing through this but you have to hear the Taylors through this baby its transcendant. I also have a Black Cat Bobcat 5/100 that is used mostly for recording along with the Rivera. My first amp was a Laney Lc50-112 and I actually record with this still a little for certain sounds its an amp that usually surprises people for how good it sounds.

As for my effects I use a ton of stuff. I have a couple Line 6 pods (the HD500 is the best) that are great for cover band work and recording. My live rig consists of two Pro Analog pedals an MK3 fuzz and Power Driver, EH Pog, Keeley Katana, Mesa Triaxis, Roland GR55, Boss RC30, GCB95, Line 6 DL4 Delay Loop Sampler, Wampler Ego Compressor not always all together and I fill the rest with various EH pedals as I love them.

The reason I list all this stuff is I am an avid trader with my gear and always looking for something to swap in if anyone is interested. I also am always looking for folks to jam with. I am in the NJ beach area, Toms River specifically. I am a satellite engineer who works from home and have time for anything musical. I am always down to join a new band or make one. I can also play keyboard and as before mentioned I am an accomplished singer. I have serious gear but am down for any level of music just letting you know what I got for trading and using purposes. I also have some studio gear and can record well at my house. If anyone is interested in doing musical projects over the net, live in person, bands, writing anything I am always game so let me know.

Lemmiwinks practicing will fix all problems with fingering etc. One thing I did to get better at picking was by playing a bass as well as my other guitars. It helped me learn rhythm, timing and fingering positioning, helped with not fat fingering and really got me speed up. If you go from playing a bass for a few hours to your acoustic or electric guitar you will be ripping through it. You will almost not be able to slow down enough right after you switch. One book I used to help learn was the Guitar Grimoire (the orange one) its really about the theory. I also am a mathematically inclined person and I found a teacher to take lessons from who really incorporated that into my lessons. Best of luck though, I love playing, it is my peace time, my blank out and enjoy something time.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Always liked Tanglewood for acoutics. Grats on NGD Dup.
smile.png

I made that thread on home recording. I'm just going to get to the TL: DR because I think this deserves a cross post :

I'm going to start off with a side note so folks down have to read my drivel to get to this important fact : If you have a PC you can get into this now, for free, by downloadingReaper, checking out some Reaper tutorial vids on Youtube (there are lots of good ones from total newb on up) and start laying down drum, bass and instrument tracks down immediately from that package. There has never been a better time to get into this. What cost tens of thousands of $$$$ to do fifteen years ago is now available from free and it's far, far easier than it ever used to be.
http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...0847#post50847

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nope, worst mistake I ever made. It was an RG3120, regular price was usually around $1200-1500 new but I bought one when they discontinued them for $600. It played like shit and then I put a shim in the neck and made it the best guitar ever. The RG550 is a close second.

I still have the Gibson LP Custom but I literally never play it.
Did you sell it? Those guitars are gorgeous, damn

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I traded it for this Universe (Green), I think Seventh on this forum also owned the blue guitar in the picture at some point in time, I guess it went around (sold on sevenstring.org):

rrr_img_8056.jpg

I then had an ESP somewhere in there:
rrr_img_8057.jpg

Also this guy, looked great but sucked ass to play:
rrr_img_8058.jpg

Seventh

Golden Squire
I traded it for this Universe (Green), I think Seventh on this forum also owned the blue guitar in the picture at some point in time, I guess it went around (sold on sevenstring.org):

rrr_img_8056.jpg
Holy fuck, my old 1527!

I made the most facepalmingly awful trade in the history of guitar trades with that guitar. I traded it for an RGA-8. What a fucking useless shitpile it was, and that 1527 is an absolutely GEM of a guitar. Awesome neck, awesome fretboard, perfect bridge and killer fretwork. Those are D-Activators in it, and they sound fucking fantastic. That's one of the best sounding Ibanez I've ever played.

Shit I miss that thing, I was wondering where it ended up. I traded it to a guy in Colorado. If you ever end up unloading it, please drop me a line first, I'd love to have it back.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No I don't have it heh, I sold it to someone on Sevenstring.org, Andrew maybe? I met him at Longhorn over in Raynham, MA and he bought it.

I was the one that put the white D-Activators in and also the white knobs. When I bought the guitar it was all stock and brand new. I sold it incredibly cheap too
frown.png

When I first got it, it didn't play as good as the Universe, but once I modified it, added the pickups, and set it up personally it was definitely really close. Only difference was the neck joint on the Universe was too good.