The Official Guitar Thread

Duppin_sl

shitlord
They look weird as hell, but I sortof struggle with keeping my pick in the right place. Might be a thing to try to help with that, but it also seems like it might be something you get dependent on and regret later.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what the specific intention of that pick is, but I know what the specific intention of this one is, and it has absolutely nothing to do with dependency or regret.

rrr_img_8579.jpg

Go to 2:55 for explanation.

They look weird as hell, but I sortof struggle with keeping my pick in the right place. Might be a thing to try to help with that, but it also seems like it might be something you get dependent on and regret later.
I don't know. It seems weird to hold your pick straight on like that, it kind of limits what styles you are going to play. Get yourself some Jazz III's and keep your hands from getting dried out. It will help you keep your pick in position.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I hold the pick completely wrong from the "normal" way. I've tried to actually correct it and practice at it, but after a while I just said fuck it. Not the best angle, but you can kind of see it here that my hand is a lot less loose than a regular/classical guitar posture. (If that makes sense?)

I also do basically everything wrong in terms of sweep picking too (2:45 or so here), my motion is all in my fingers whereas you're generally supposed to do it from the wrist/arm. Again, fuck it, whatever works.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
That makes sense, but early on I want to try hard to do things the "right" way and then develop my own idiosyncrasies later. Right now it's too hard to tell the difference between an individual quirk, and sloppiness.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
That makes sense, but early on I want to try hard to do things the "right" way and then develop my own idiosyncrasies later. Right now it's too hard to tell the difference between an individual quirk, and sloppiness.
Did you join Jam Play mate ? I'm totally blown away by it. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

edit : Also this is pretty good for free/donations :http://www.creativeguitarstudio.com/

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
For you, that'd probably be a bonus. It would keep you from ending up with 30 guitars.
Yeah, I'm in a lot of fucking trouble on that front. Income is exceeding bills. This was all within one year --

rrr_img_9022.jpg

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I hold the pick completely wrong from the "normal" way. I've tried to actually correct it and practice at it, but after a while I just said fuck it. Not the best angle, but you can kind of see it here that my hand is a lot less loose than a regular/classical guitar posture. (If that makes sense?)

I also do basically everything wrong in terms of sweep picking too (2:45 or so here), my motion is all in my fingers whereas you're generally supposed to do it from the wrist/arm. Again, fuck it, whatever works
I'm in a similar boat. I've been playing for over 20 years, and have a HORRIBLE picking habit, that is too late to switch. For some damn reason, I hold the pick between my thumb and 3rd finger, leaving my 2nd finger pointing out. I occasionally bring in my 2nd finger but only 20-25% of the time. Now when I consciously attempt to correct this, I sound like a kid on his 2nd trip to guitar lessons. I know EVH plays this way for tapping (not my case) and Carlos Santana does, probably because he's spaced out on something (again not my case). It's just a bad habit I've become stuck with.

Haka

N00b
I'm self taught and never got around to using a pick. I mostly play blues and a lot of folk/fingerpicking type stuff but was too impatient to sit down and learn. I'm the only guitarist I know somehow so I never had anyone to bounce ideas off of. Now I'm kind of regretting never learning as certain riffs and styles are difficult to play as cleanly as with a pick.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I went and watched a blues jam night at a local bar last night, lot of really good players there. They run it sortof like an open mic night, people can sign up to get up on stage and play.

I'll give it a try in a few months.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Ended up picking up a Digitech RP355 on sale tonight at Guitar Center. Time to play with it some and see what it can do!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Oh, I'm well into it already. I was very tempted by a Blues Jr. It will probably be the next major purchase.

Edit: So, okay, I've played with the RP355 some. I think it is way, way overkill for where I'm at right now. So here is something I am thinking about.

Take back the RP355. Get a good trade-in price on my Crush PiX CR20L. Put all of that towards a Blues Junior, which I hear people say is one of the best small amps there is.

Thoughts?