The Official Guitar Thread

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Need advice bros. I currently have an Ibanez S520EX I got over 10 years ago. Around that time I had a Mesa Boogie F-50 head with an orange 1x12 cab. But I was in a bad place financially and sadly had to sell them. Since then I've just been playing an acoustic and the Ibanez has been in its case collecting dust under my bed for over a decade.

So I am finally looking to put together another rig. It's been a while and not sure where to start. I want to try to stay under $1000. This would just be for home use. It can be a combo but I would prefer a stack. Any recommendations?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
These days I just play DI into a PA. I've got an audio mixer with a USB output I use as intermediary so that I can easily record DI to the computer as well. I just use a Vox Clear Drive preamp / cabsim pedal to DI, but with a bit more of a budget something like a Strymon Iridium would be the way to go. A lot of guys that used to be amp guys swear by the Iridium.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
These days I just play DI into a PA. I've got an audio mixer with a USB output I use as intermediary so that I can easily record DI to the computer as well. I just use a Vox Clear Drive preamp / cabsim pedal to DI, but with a bit more of a budget something like a Strymon Iridium would be the way to go. A lot of guys that used to be amp guys swear by the Iridium.
Well I guess I have been living under a rock. All of this is new to me.

Let me start with this question. Say I want to be able to record on my PC and hear it through a speaker at the same time. Should I be looking at an audio interface or a multieffects pedal?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well I guess I have been living under a rock. All of this is new to me.

Let me start with this question. Say I want to be able to record on my PC and hear it through a speaker at the same time. Should I be looking at an audio interface or a multieffects pedal?
With my setup I can either play out loud through my PA -or- record to my computer and monitor myself through headphones. But that's because my USB mixer / audio interface doesn't have a poweramp that can run PA speakers. My USB mixer is just a cheap Behringer Xenyx Q502USB, bought it for like $50 or something. I'm sure there's more expensive mixers than can manage both functions.

I wish I had a preamp/cabsim pedal with an FX loop on it, or a separate cabsim pedal. Currently my Vox Clear Drive, the source of my "cabinet simulation," sits before my modulation pedals in my chain. Typically you want your preamp before your modulation pedals and your cabsim at the very end of your chain.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Need advice bros. I currently have an Ibanez S520EX I got over 10 years ago. Around that time I had a Mesa Boogie F-50 head with an orange 1x12 cab. But I was in a bad place financially and sadly had to sell them. Since then I've just been playing an acoustic and the Ibanez has been in its case collecting dust under my bed for over a decade.

So I am finally looking to put together another rig. It's been a while and not sure where to start. I want to try to stay under $1000. This would just be for home use. It can be a combo but I would prefer a stack. Any recommendations?

Just go full digital. I bought a Line 6 Helix LT three years ago and I haven't looked back. Sounds great through neutral speakers, extremely convenient for recording, and with headphones it still feels like you're playing with the balls of a full stack. I really don't think I'll go analog again and I used to be "that guy" with the 75 pound pedalboard. Digital is REALLY fucking quality now. It'll fool anyone.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't understand why digital multi FX pedals don't use miniaturized tubes for some of their OD sounds tho

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

They don't make em anymore though.
It's really dumb that they don't make something like this. There's guys that already spend a LOT of money on Helixes and what not. It wouldn't be that much more expensive to add some real analogue distortion technology to the package. I think maybe in a sense, the manufacturers are capitalizing on the "analog vs digital" debate by providing a pedal that's purely digital and apparently superior to purely analog. But as always, the right answer when it comes to considering duality in nature is:

FailingGrippingAardwolf-max-1mb.gif

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I’ve been putting in a ton of practice and playing time the last few years and improved to the point where me and a buddy of mine that sings had our first gig a few months back and we are going to plan a couple more for this summer. Feels good man, it’s so much fun being able to go out and play the songs that made me pick up a guitar in the first place.

Silly little side story. A friend of the guy I play with asked him to play for a craft bazaar he was having in a barn. He can’t really play guitar worth a shit so he asked me to come. He asks me, sounds like fun, we have our first gig. I borrow some equipment from another buddy that gigs and off we go. The gig goes really well and one of the owners was telling us how good we did and mentioned that she saw a lady in the one booth crying when we were playing Leonard Cohens hallelujah. I didn’t think too much of it at the time but a couple days later it sank in that I played a piece of music that touched someone like that. It really choked me up. Usually the only reaction I get from playing is that if general annoyance from my wife and stepson. I’m not saying it was because it was that spectacular of a performance. Maybe it just brought up a memory of a loved one that passed away that loved that song, maybe it was the first song at her wedding, it doesn’t even matter the reason.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Just go full digital. I bought a Line 6 Helix LT three years ago and I haven't looked back. Sounds great through neutral speakers, extremely convenient for recording, and with headphones it still feels like you're playing with the balls of a full stack. I really don't think I'll go analog again and I used to be "that guy" with the 75 pound pedalboard. Digital is REALLY fucking quality now. It'll fool anyone.
Last time I was seriously playing guitar this technology wasn't around, so I'm really out of the loop on it.

Do Line 6/Axe-Fx etc. have both profiling amp capacities and a wealth of effects and patches built in? So for all effects and purposes, you've got all the wealth of sounds you like?

Because I've been seriously considering a profiling amp/digital effects setup to go with my next guitar.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Last time I was seriously playing guitar this technology wasn't around, so I'm really out of the loop on it.

Do Line 6/Axe-Fx etc. have both profiling amp capacities and a wealth of effects and patches built in? So for all effects and purposes, you've got all the wealth of sounds you like?

Because I've been seriously considering a profiling amp/digital effects setup to go with my next guitar.

It's got it all. It has almost 100 amp models. And then you can mix and match heads with cabs. And then there's gotta be over 100 pedals you can add to your chain. Endless combinations.

When I first got mine I went back to gear rundowns to see what my favorite tones were from guitarists I love. I would input them exactly as they were in the interviews and they sounded insanely close. It's pretty unbelievable.

• 1Like

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Lookin for advice, thinkin want to learn how to play guitar. Lifelong professional air guitarist!

Is there such thing as too much instrument for a beginner? Looking at the Adam Jones Les Paul model.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Lookin for advice, thinkin want to learn how to play guitar. Lifelong professional air guitarist!

Is there such thing as too much instrument for a beginner? Looking at the Adam Jones Les Paul model.
I would get the Epiphone and not the Gibson, but if you can afford it, go for it. Many people think to start on a really cheap instrument, just in case they don't take to it, but really cheap instruments are often harder to play. Starting out with a good-but-not-overly-expensive guitar isn't a bad way to go if you genuinely think you'll stick with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Nice, will take a look at the Epiphone as well, thanks!
Buy it through a guitar shop instead of online. Have them "set it up" for you i.e. they'll string it / fix the intonation / adjust string height etc either free with the price of the guitar or for another $20-25 maybe.

• 1Like

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Nice, will take a look at the Epiphone as well, thanks!
A huge factor in choosing an axe will be the kind of music you want to play.

The Epiphone was my second guitar. Whilst it sounded pretty gorgeous, by the time I'd matured in my music tastes towards progressive metal and my chops had improved markedly, so whilst it was great for playing, say, G n' R songs it wasn't all that well suited to massive sweep picked arpeggios or shredding scale runs.

For that, you want a thinner neck and a lower action, something built for speed basically. So what sort of music would you play?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
As much as I hate to say it go to a guitat center and pick up what appeals to you. Dick with them for a while. Then see who plays the kind of music that used that type of guitar. If you don't really like a guitar you'll drop it after a while. You also might really pick a guitar that appeals to you and feels clunky as shit to you. Look up what people use often to play the type of music you want to play. Pick those up and see if they speak to you or yell "ewww".

You can get playable guitars relatively inexpensive now to start. Epiphone, squire classic vibe etc...Or you can do like I've seen a number of people do. Pay $10k for a guitar and they've never played a note before.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
For inexpensive Les Paul style guitars, I really like my Kramer Assault. Gibson bought out Kramer awhile back and started making Les Paul body Kramers. Slightly longer and thinner neck, tuners spaced so that they go straight into the nut (the way traditional Les Paul headstocks are shaped, the strings hit the nut at a big enough angle that it causes tuning problems).

I think all the new ones have a bridge with a whammy bar. Older ones have Tune-O-Matic (i.e. classic Les Paul) style bridges, which I prefer.

Paid $379 for it and don't really see a need to upgrade to a more expensive guitar any time soon. Very, very good guitar for the price. There was one on Reverb for $329 at the same time as the one I bought, but the guy selling the $379 one was way more friendly in messages so I went with him.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Prices for DigiTech's $59 Bad Monkey overdrive skyrocket to $650 after Josh Scott shows how indistinguishable it sounds from a Klon Centaur