The Order: 1886

Caliane

Lets get some threads up for some of these new games.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...playstation-4/

"What you saw is running in-engine, in-game with no gimmicks"

well that was interesting. I thought it was full CGI. scripted in-engine, is not live gameplay, but still.

still no clear statement of genre.

steampunk and werewolves is all we got atm.

Sean_sl

shitlord
New screenshot leaks:http://www.vgleaks.com/the-order-188...d-screenshots/

And some gifs:

i7fsbug5tX9rf.gif

ibtB0HSANCRf6M.gif

i8Mae09W1eJMM.gif

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
was pretty skeptical as well about the trailer being in-engine but those gifs of gameplay seem pretty great

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Some not so great news

The Order: 1886's Mixed Signals - IGN

The brief 10-minute hands-off demo I witnessed confirmed some of my fears. The portion of the adventure I saw ran relatively poorly, with sudden, sharp transitions between scenes, audio issues, and a lagging framerate. Ready at Dawn's CEO and Founder Ru Weerasuriya was quick to point out that this sliver of the game wasn't QA tested and optimized at all, and that there might be problems. But I was left wondering how this could be the best 10 minutes of the game the studio had to show, especially when he reiterated that The Order would indeed launch in 2014.
But the game quickly turned into something a bit more typical the further we got into the demo. Technical issues aside, seamless transitions between cutscenes and gameplay are well-executed, but The Order: 1886 seems to be a fairly ordinary third-person shooter at its core. The camera angle and cover-based gameplay are more reminiscent of Gears of War than Uncharted, and while seeing it was exciting - and while the game no doubt looks fun - some of its mystique was siphoned away. We weren't shown anything in this brief 10-minute glimpse not done in other third-person shooters. There are even quick-time events.

Szlia

I suspect the main breakthrough in this game will not be the gameplay, but the presentation. It's supposed to be the next step in seamlessly transitioning between gameplay and cut scenes (as in not only using the same engine and not having load times, but also editing the last gameplay shot with the first shot of the cut scene andvice versa).

Column_sl

shitlord
You can't compare video games with movie in the framerate debate.

Movies profit from something known as natural motion blur, something that games don't have.
Every frame of a movie has a visual interpolation to the previous. In games every frame is a perfect snapshot of time. As an effect, in the linked image, you can see the hills in the background move gradually on the left (movies), while they basically jump from frame to frame on the right (videogames).

ku-xlarge.gif

Its possible to simulate the natural blur in CGI, but as of now is too demanding for videogames, which is why they go for higher frame rates, to minimize the "jumping distances" of objects.

Ru Weerasuriya has some good points with the breaking of past, and the use of MSAA, but both are no replacement for 60hz (or more). The truth is that the PS4 simply doesn't have the power to do 60fps, MSAA, and the content streaming for the pace, all at the same time.

If they really would have chosen 30fps for the cinematic effect* they would have spend a great part of their effects development on a good natural motion blur shader for the game. A shader that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist as of now, as all current motion blur effects still show steps and jumps in the results due to the discrete nature of videogame shaders.

*Lets be honest, cinema are not something you should aim for in visual quality. Cinema makes the best of the technology they have at hand, but that doesn't mean they're the best in the world, or the universally best. As I hopped I've shown should videogames especially not strive to follow cinema in every aspect, but remember that it is its own medium.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I didn't want to believe you Vinyard but here's the bloghttp://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...6-heads-to-e3/which states this..."As we look to bring this experience to the players, we have decided to spend some extra time to deliver on the promise we made when we first introduced the game. As such, you can expect The Order: 1886 to come exclusively to the PlayStation 4 in early 2015."

All these delays hurt! /insert feels bad bro image.