a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
3.50 star(s) Rating: 3.50/5 2 Votes
Title: The Order

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2019-03-07

Creator: Dennis Heaton, Shelley Eriksen

Cast: Jake Manley, Sarah Grey, Matt Frewer, Sam Trammell, Max Martini, Adam DiMarco, Louriza Tronco, Thomas Elms, Aaron Hale, Kayla Heller, Devery Jacobs, Thomas Elms

Overview: Out to avenge his mother's death, a college student pledges a secret order and lands in a war between werewolves and practitioners of dark magic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I binged 8 of 10 episodes last night. Enjoyed it for the most part. A bit like Buffy the Vampire Slayer in its cheesiness and formula.

Only real complaint is the convoluted background story with the grandfather, dad, son, which is the major plot point of Episode 1 (and driving force behind the main plot of the entire show), isn't really hit on or explained too much. Max Headroom does the crazy old man fairly well. Was cool to see him again after his stint on Orphan Black.
Oh, also, Jewel Staite's character is trash. She came out of no where, even if she's an important set piece/plot point. She also acts like a silly villain from one of the DC television shows... haven't really liked her much outside of Firefly, though, if I'm honest.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Looks like a shitty CW version of The Magicians.

Unless and until I hear more people praising the hell out of it, definite skip.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I binged this show.... .......
It is objectively bad.... But it keeps you watching...
The story was dumb for a lot of reasons. A lot.

I can't bring myself to hate this show...it was very....inoffensive....

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So i'm not going to read any replies above so as not to bias my own thoughts.

First and foremost I like this stupid show.

I'll admit that I love supernatural shows and some are way better than others. I have enjoy every season of Supernatural in some fashion and I hope it continues forever because i like that it exists and that there are usually some really great episodes each season. I would really like Crowley back now please its been too long. Sabrina is my current standard for this genre. That's just some insight into me as an asshole.

I like this show. I think the mythology is not too tropy and is sorta smart like Magicians, its not as good certainly. Quality wise its similar to Hemlocks first season and certainly better than Twilight or the CW Vampire shows. (Are any of those good please rec one to me I'll give it a second shot.). I love the cast and i'd punch babies in the throat for Sarah Grey and Kat Isabell. The mythology with the werewolves is neat and the stolen costumes from Van Helsing are awesome. Shout out to Dirt Diver.

I think I have one more episode to watch and then it's over. I've enjoyed my time and it certainly gets better as the season proceeds, but its got some rough spots. Still I'd watch a second season. YMMV.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So i'm not going to read any replies above so as not to bias my own thoughts.

First and foremost I like this stupid show.

I'll admit that I love supernatural shows and some are way better than others. I have enjoy every season of Supernatural in some fashion and I hope it continues forever because i like that it exists and that there are usually some really great episodes each season. I would really like Crowley back now please its been too long. Sabrina is my current standard for this genre. That's just some insight into me as an asshole.

I like this show. I think the mythology is not too tropy and is sorta smart like Magicians, its not as good certainly. Quality wise its similar to Hemlocks first season and certainly better than Twilight or the CW Vampire shows. (Are any of those good please rec one to me I'll give it a second shot.). I love the cast and i'd punch babies in the throat for Sarah Grey and Kat Isabell. The mythology with the werewolves is neat and the stolen costumes from Van Helsing are awesome. Shout out to Dirt Diver.

I think I have one more episode to watch and then it's over. I've enjoyed my time and it certainly gets better as the season proceeds, but its got some rough spots. Still I'd watch a second season. YMMV.

Vampire Diaries is not too bad for the first few seasons, although there's a few cheesy vampire trope bits early on but they course correct pretty quickly. It mostly boils down to whether or not you like the characters. I feel like the show went steadily downhill once they added witches. Magic can do anything they need it to and is a constant crutch and makes the main characters of the show (the damn vampires) seem weak in comparison. Especially with the neck snapping. (In case you don't remember, snapping a vamps neck will knock them instantly unconscious until they heal, yeah, it's dumb. And there's a LOT of it.) Witches can snap a vamps neck with a gesture. Shit like that. The Originals were cool, and there spinoff was good for a bit, but nope, gotta witch it up.

I love supernatural stuff too, and this sounds like it's worth a try. The Magicians was a pleasant surprise and I wouldn't mind more shows of that caliber.

I stopped watching Supernatural a while ago, I think it was the season after Crowley's mom's arc? Like, Lady Death was the big bad or something? I felt like the show had been dipping in quality and I lost interest. Has it been better since?

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I stopped watching Supernatural a while ago, I think it was the season after Crowley's mom's arc? Like, Lady Death was the big bad or something? I felt like the show had been dipping in quality and I lost interest. Has it been better since?

Man, I loved Supernatural's first 5 seasons. Show had a different feel after the initial story arc ended. I think the showrunner changed hands.

• 1Solidarity

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I love supernatural stuff too, and this sounds like it's worth a try. The Magicians was a pleasant surprise and I wouldn't mind more shows of that caliber.

I want to be super clear here, its not as good as The Magicians and it falters a lot. and @shakeyjake, yeah the first five seasons are primo seasons of Supernatural, i just like the cast well enough to suffer through a lot of mediocre shit to get to the good stuff. I tend to watch(listen) a lot of TV while i'm working a lot like people listen to music.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Well that was an underwhelming ending.

Knights getting their memories dusted at the end made no fuckin sense, either. Oh well, whatever.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I want to be super clear here, its not as good as The Magicians and it falters a lot. and @shakeyjake, yeah the first five seasons are primo seasons of Supernatural, i just like the cast well enough to suffer through a lot of mediocre shit to get to the good stuff. I tend to watch(listen) a lot of TV while i'm working a lot like people listen to music.

Yeah, I get that. The Magicians is a pretty high bar, but it's a start. I think they lucked out with a great cast.

• 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
starting this. Damn the main character being an insufferable mary sue is rough.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't like how suddenly Mary Sue is suddenly in the vernacular for people just because of Game of Thrones.

/sigh

• 1Worf

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Season 2 is up. The blonde is still hot.

The show is still a cheap Magicians knock off. It's enjoyable enough if you aren't looking for anything special.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Am I mistaken in thinking this and The Magicians use a ton of the same sets/locations? Because it really feels like it.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
s2 is even worse then s1. ok at best. writing is pretty incoherent. the world doesnt make any sense. characters dont really have lives or motivations. they just exist to act as plot devices. The don't really have classes. They never really react to people dieing, or discuss the actions, etc.

the best part of s2 is just that the villain is a communist college professor trying to start an armed rebellion, and the radical agent that brought him in.
The show is free of SJW horseshit entirely.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
s2 is even worse then s1. ok at best. writing is pretty incoherent. the world doesnt make any sense. characters dont really have lives or motivations. they just exist to act as plot devices. The don't really have classes. They never really react to people dieing, or discuss the actions, etc.

the best part of s2 is just that the villain is a communist college professor trying to start an armed rebellion, and the radical agent that brought him in.
The show is free of SJW horseshit entirely.

this is my complaint as well. i can get passed the whole "they have no lives" part as i don't want to sit through a bunch of pretentious college nonsense. but the characters themselves don't feel real. they feel like set pieces and plot points with no internal motivation. in one scene "guys, we are the knights, we are supposed to protect the world from bad magic!" literally the same scene "also lets summon a demon to steal some artifacts!"

it's also extremely irritating when they have one magic user come in and cast a spell at another magic user, and they just stand there. like, in this world, if i knew what magic was and i saw someone pull out a knife and bring it to their hand to cut themselves, the LAST thing i'm going to do is just stand there with my thumb up my ass.

and also. wtf. how is there no warding in the temple? the last episode, alyssa just teleportals into the personal office of the grand magus and no one does ANYTHING. how is that even allowed lol?

this show is silly. i WANT to like it. but honestly outside of alyssa (because she's hot) and randall, every other character is insufferable. and alyssa took a huge turn half way through season 2 when she just, out of nowhere became an incredibly selfish, high level caster. i mean, on one hand, that in and of itself could be a really interesting story. she got cut off from magic, realized how addicted to it she was and becomes incredibly ruthless. but that's not what happened. she got cut off from magic, got super emo about it and then fundamentally changed from being someone who wants to HELP people, to someone who is perfectly happy with people recklessly using magic for their own selfish reasons.

ugh. i only kept watching because i don't have anything else to do. stupid kung flu.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database