The Orville

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's main problem was that it was too short of a run. Moclins were my favorite even though they were used for some gay bullshit at various points. They actually made alien races, not just humanoid races with a hyperfocus on one human characteristic.

Edit: also, fuck you. When I saw it was bumped I thought they were doing another season or a spinoff.
Yea it had the veneer of a good show, and I think Seth genuinely like Star Trek. Orville had this weird pacing issue though, where they tried to speed run larger story arcs. Trek worked because it had a setting, not a seasonal story arc, so you could tell random small stories and keep slowly building up the setting. There were a lot more episodes free to do random things, and then big 2 parters that would build out the overall story. Even things like DS9 and Voyager were only possible because of TOS and TNGs work, they would have failed as random scifi show.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Yea it had the veneer of a good show, and I think Seth genuinely like Star Trek. Orville had this weird pacing issue though, where they tried to speed run larger story arcs. Trek worked because it had a setting, not a seasonal story arc, so you could tell random small stories and keep slowly building up the setting. There were a lot more episodes free to do random things, and then big 2 parters that would build out the overall story. Even things like DS9 and Voyager were only possible because of TOS and TNGs work, they would have failed as random scifi show.
Seth is not a good writer.

He's good at writing Seth.

And his passion for Trek gave it that good veneer but he never could quite get out of his own way enough to let Orville be its own thing.

You want that, you gotta get Joss.

s galore doctor who GIF

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the stories have been pretty good but I only seen the first season plus a couple of S2. You can definitely tell Seth or whomever really liked star trek. It is odd watching and thinking a jokes coming but never happens

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Seth is not a good writer.

He's good at writing Seth.

And his passion for Trek gave it that good veneer but he never could quite get out of his own way enough to let Orville be its own thing.

You want that, you gotta get Joss.

s galore doctor who GIF
If I want that I gotta be cancelled?

• 2Worf

Homsar

I find Grimes interesting, hes in a band with Russel Crowe and married Palecki for a second or whatever? I always just thought of him as a voice actor.

Also what was the biggest budget for this show? Some episodes seem to have a ton of money on makeup/prosthetics

Homsar

Ok I don't know what happened but I feel like when the one actress left in season 2 so did others behind the camera

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok I don't know what happened but I feel like when the one actress left in season 2 so did others behind the camera
iff youre on s2 now, this show is best enjoyed by ff all of the seth and grimes scenes

• 1Edgelord

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I loved this in its entirety. I still hope we get one more season but I doubt we will with the success of the Ted show.

Cybsled

There def is more plot lines to explore. Although shows like this are hard to have an ending end to. TNG’s ending was just a major problem to solve. It wasn’t structured like DS9 or Voyager where there was a clear finale state (end of war/getting home)

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I was excited to see posts in this thread for a min. You nerds turned this into Dredd 2 New Faggotry. BAH!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everyone but McFarlin and Grimes have heard the saying "you don't shit where you eat." The story is that Seth fucked the one chick that left after season 1 and Grimes fucked, married, then divorced (inamicable) with Palicki in less than a year; it may have been bad enough that they couldn't be on set at the same time.

Homsar

Everyone but McFarlin and Grimes have heard the saying "you don't shit where you eat." The story is that Seth fucked the one chick that left after season 1 and Grimes fucked, married, then divorced (inamicable) with Palicki in less than a year; it may have been bad enough that they couldn't be on set at the same time.
That doesn't explain the writing going to shit.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Halston Sage had a lot of backstage rumors with Seth, but she did come back to the show in season 2 and 3. It may have had something to do with the relationship or probably a combination of the unknown of the show and her getting a part on Prodigal son.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That doesn't explain the writing going to shit.
It shows how nonchalant they ran the show, I guess. So it's not a stretch to think their actions eventually affected the writers room; especially since Seth is one of the writers.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Halston Sage had a lot of backstage rumors with Seth, but she did come back to the show in season 2 and 3. It may have had something to do with the relationship or probably a combination of the unknown of the show and her getting a part on Prodigal son.
s2 ended w/ her rumored to be w/ zac efron and/or legit dating some ugly singer
e8449410e180455863a22e8acd26e9c4.png

i'm sure seth got mad

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
s2 ended w/ her rumored to be w/ zac efron and/or legit dating some ugly singer
e8449410e180455863a22e8acd26e9c4.png

i'm sure seth got mad
Yeah, Seth so mad that he brought her back to what was gonna be back to a full time role at the end of season 3. Besides last I heard he was dating the other chick from Orville Anne Winters.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, Seth so mad that he brought her back to what was gonna be back to a full time role at the end of season 3. Besides last I heard he was dating the other chick from Orville Anne Winters.
oh god, the worst part of s3

• 1Like