The Orville

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This show has its warts but it’s still pretty damn excellent.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

The final episode of the season is titled "future unknown". I am guessing that is somewhat of a meta title since they don't know if there will be a season 4. Although beyond that, you figure it speaks to the theme of the episode. I suppose the biggest open plot points they can hit on:

1) The Krill will want their leader back - presumably this will lead to a military escalation. Maybe Mercer's half-krill daughter gets threatened and he has to do some risky shit to save her.
2) The "spider borg" are still out there and a threat
3) Kaylons - it's too neat for them to be solid allies now, since that makes the union OP. So I am guessing something happens to mitigate the threat they pose. One possible option is the emotion upgrade - we don't know how all Kaylons would react with emotion. They've focused on positive emotions thus far with Timmis and Issac, but there are also plenty of negative emotions like hate and fear. This could cause divisions in the Kaylon, or impact their ability to take part in wars.

However, if they don't know if this will be the final episode, they will probably need to craft it in such a way that it isn't a HUGE cliffhanger.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was half expecting the Kaylon thing to be them realizing their only defense was to separate into individuals cut off from each other and it creating chaos the Union could take advantage of. Or maybe a dark twist where Ensign Lesbian sets off the device and actually wipes them out because, fuck you thats why. They went with a bit more of a straightforward story arc, which is more in line with the "better version of Trek homage to TNG" vibe the show has. There were some duds in this season, but the ideas were solid and the acting was mostly on point. The level of care in this show vs NuTrek is staggering. The show is far from perfect, but it hits all the right beats when it comes to being a homage to older Trek.

I hope we get a season four, but it's not looking good since MacFarlane is fucking off to milk the Ted cash cow some more. Whatever you think about Mercer and his portrayal (and I feel the show was stronger this season for using Mercer more sparingly), the show would be hurt without him as he is basically the story lead and does most of the directing. I mean they could do a whole "he retires to raise his daughter" ending to him and maybe Braga can keep it going with Kelly as the CO, but I think we would see the same phoned in shit like Family Guy turned into after MacFarlane stopped running that show. And American Dad. This may be a show that COVID killed, which sucks because I think the new longer format has been working well and the production values clearly improved this season. They clearly have a direction they are going in with their world building, so it would be nice to see it get fully realized.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You guys forgot the aids-borg from the beginning of the season? They are probably coming back in the finale.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
This last one was another excellent episode, and a great example of sci-fi. It showed how an actual diverse crew (not HOLLYWOOD diverse where they race-swap darker skin in 90% of the crew) can do greater things then say an all human crew, and solve problems to move the show forward. 10/10! Absolutely dunks on STD and Picard. The writing is great, things don't always resolve cleanly but character motivations and actions are relatable or make sense, even Ted Danson's ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

You guys forgot the aids-borg from the beginning of the season? They are probably coming back in the finale.

I didn't, that is what I meant by the spider borg.

Sure, they might show up. But if this ends up as a possible series finale, that means they either

a) get defeated because everyone works together
b) don't get defeated and it ends on a dark note

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I didn't, that is what I meant by the spider borg.

Sure, they might show up. But if this ends up as a possible series finale, that means they either

a) get defeated because everyone works together
b) don't get defeated and it ends on a dark note
I was thinking it would be a set up for next season so option b it is.

Oldbased

> Than U
This whole episode lol

They did a good job of closing most of the arcs while at the same time leaving it open. If it ends, it ends, if not plenty of story to build on.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

Ya there are tons of story they can do if it gets renewed, but was nice to see it end on a happy / humorous note if it doesn’t

Episode was funny as fuck. I’m also a sucker for “fish out of water” characters, so the B plot was interesting as well

Cybsled

On a side note, I liked how they basically did a super simple breakdown of post-scarcity society and the prime directive. The post-scarcity explain was actually better than most of Trek’s attempts in the past

Deeds and reputation are the new currency since material needs are irrelevant with matter synthesizers. While someone could just sit around all day, that is frowned upon and if you’re at least making an effort to do something (even just becoming a student and learning stuff), that gives you that social currency

And the explanation about the prime directive not just being tech, but society. Like her example of giving a matter replicator to 21st century Earth: you’d just have people exploit it to generate profit by instantly manufacturing goods without material resources needed and it wouldn’t be available to everyone, and how that one society pre directive basically used the tech for influence and power and nukes themselves into oblivion

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Good ending. Hope there is more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I'm kind of wondering. Seth's social media has posted that a season 4 is TBD based on renewal and used the words season finale, but the official social media account has used the words "finale" and said stuff like thanks for the ride and at least 1-2 actors have used wording that seems to feel like the show is done.

Given that all 3 seasons are on D+ starting 8/10, that sort of limits renewal options to just D+ and puts the ball in Disney's court

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'm kind of wondering. Seth's social media has posted that a season 4 is TBD based on renewal and used the words season finale, but the official social media account has used the words "finale" and said stuff like thanks for the ride and at least 1-2 actors have used wording that seems to feel like the show is done.

Given that all 3 seasons are on D+ starting 8/10, that sort of limits renewal options to just D+ and puts the ball in Disney's court
I nean Disney owns Hulu.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I see the D+ move more as something to have more adult content for their adult programming section. But I could be wrong here. They have been angling to buy Trek for a while, so better Trek might be something they would go for.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Speaking with Screen Rant recently about the show’s future, MacFarlane says the show’s chances of being renewed are about 50-50 right now. He adds that he has nothing but praise for all the support he’s received at Hulu for the show’s recent third season release and the hope is the Disney+ release will allow the series one last push to a whole new audience only partly aware of the series:

“I have sensed a real groundswell of support from within the Hulu branch and the Disney branch. Of course, it’s a business, so the show has to be something that justifies its own existence and, at the end of the day, that’s really going to be what determines a season 4.
But the folks at Hulu and Disney have sure as hell given us the best possible chance of that happening, so it’s really all up to the audience now. I am excited for the Disney + launch, because that’s an entirely new audience that I think is maybe dimly aware of the show but maybe doesn’t really know exactly what it is.
I think that’s been the conundrum of The Orville for a while is that people kind of put it in a box based on the initial perceptions of the show from 2017 and 99% of the time when people sit down to watch it, their expectations are completely upended, and the show speaks for itself in that way, I’m confident that it can do that. The real challenge is just going to be getting eyeballs on it so that people have the chance to discover that for themselves.”
One complication is the cast’s commitments to other projects, including MacFarlane himself in the title role in Peacock’s upcoming “Ted” prequel series. Even if a renewal order is handed out, there could again be a long gap between seasons.

faille

Molten Core Raider
amazon book

Supposedly an episode that they decided couldn't / wouldn't be filmable so released as a novella. Pretty interesting, though it's very stand alone as has no bearing on the rest of the show. Half of it isn't even in the show really

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I read up on that. It was an experimental episode Seth MacFarlane wanted to try. It's only real tie to the third season arc is that that the entire season is mostly about redemption arcs for the most part. I can see why they cut it, but it would have fit the darker tone of this season rather well and had been interesting to see with a good actor in the central role.