The Oscars Best Picture fuckup

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If I could ask Hollywood anything about this it would be the following.
Why is it I can watch a 70yr old Western and clearly hear each and every word at a reasonable tv volume but 99% of the movies/tv shows out today I have to turn up so loud to make out what they say that the sound effects screech so bad it wakes up people dead thousands of years buried deep in my yard and try and eat my brains?
probably has something to do with the way it was recorded. those old westerns likely used basic mono microphones and later they went to stereo. now with DTS they expect you to have 20 different speakers and so the volume is distributed everywhere with the action scenes jacked up to 11.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Speaking from experience, it also happens when you get a director sitting over the shoulder of a mixer acting like they know how to do a mixers job.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Why is it I can watch a 70yr old Western and clearly hear each and every word at a reasonable tv volume but 99% of the movies/tv shows out today I have to turn up so loud to make out what they say that the sound effects screech so bad it wakes up people dead thousands of years buried deep in my yard and try and eat my brains?
Closed caption my Wakandans.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No thanks. I'll just stick to 1950's movies.
i have a fix for you, but you wont like it. on your cable you have HD channels and you have non HD channels to match all your HD channels, go into the menu on your converter box and select it to show non HD channels for your HD channels and you will find the volume on them is just as flat as all your 1950s movies that get shown on your non hd channels. it sucks because now you are watching 480p quality shit on your fancy 4k tv. but you can adjust the volume to human being levels.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

What do you have for a sound system? I had this problem for a while because I bought a small surround sound system and then later replaced the front speakers with larger ones and kept the little center channel. As a result, all of the music and sound effects were way louder than the dialog. Got a bigger center channel speaker and the problem was solved. The old westerns are probably not recorded in Dolby surround so all of the sound just comes out of all the speakers the same.

I'll add here that I don't really know what I'm talking about here to save some audiophile faggot from having to say it.

Oldbased

> Than U
What do you have for a sound system? I had this problem for a while because I bought a small surround sound system and then later replaced the front speakers with larger ones and kept the little center channel. As a result, all of the music and sound effects were way louder than the dialog. Got a bigger center channel speaker and the problem was solved. The old westerns are probably not recorded in Dolby surround so all of the sound just comes out of all the speakers the same.

I'll add here that I don't really know what I'm talking about here to save some audiophile faggot from having to say it.
Just tvs in 3 rooms. The one room with a sound system hooked to the TV we never use to watch TV haha.
3 different brand tvs, 2 which have clear voice 2 and makes no difference. Older movies and commercials can hear voices no problem. Most shows/movies you have to crank it up which makes all the beeps boops, alarms, car horns wake the dead. I get most people don't watch TV in the middle of the night like me but it is silly older shows are more watchable on low volumes than newer ones. There goes Hollywood again, assuming how I do things.

• 1Solidarity

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
If you have to worry about neighbors, buy a pair of wireless headphones. You can get a basic and cheap pair at Walmart for 25$ or you can not be poor and buy a nice Sennheiser.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i never tried this, but can you switch your audio output on your tv from stereo to mono? i mean if you like your old 1950s oat operas, those arent stereo anyway so you may not be missing anything. i hardly ever notice the stereo on my old vizio for the few hours a day i watch tv.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm with Olebass. There is some fuckery going on with sound mixing in modern TV. I watch old movies on my TV and theyre fine. I watch netflix or any recent movies and sound mixing is all fucked up.

I'm convinced its an artistic decision. The sound mixing fucks like having whispered conversations much quieter than the loud explosions. Which makes sense in a realism sense but also fucking sucks because I have to constantly adjust the volume.

Somehow this is not a problem in shows produced before the 2010s.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Headset no go. I have headsets but that's for gaming when I use them.
I have 4 screens, 3 monitors and a 42inch LG TV It's just mixing fuckery. We live in a house but wife has MS and sleeps like 20 hours a day and gets migranes nonstop.
TV I have to turn up to a volume level where everything is fine then suddenly car alarms, phone rings and odd shit wake up corpses.
God help me if I watch something with ad breaks, it'll be like this:
Rick, we must go save coral now. Let's go!
(ad comes on)

DO YOU HAVE A TINY DICK? DICKGROWER IS HERE TO HELP JUST CALL 1800BIGDICK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Lol viola Davis going on about suffering from imposter syndrome. Obviously it affects women more than men and blacks more than whites.

The feeling of being a fraud, like you don't deserve the awards and praise lavished upon you.

It's called affirmative action

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Viola went full retard and they praised her for it, shes a great actress but her speech was terrible and praised because hollywood is self absorbed
“I became an artist, and thank god I did because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life”
Also fuck all the dumbass SJW bitching about Casey Affleck winning, so much hypocrisy and bullshit with that trend. They Celebrate Polanski even though he raped a minor but some bitch sleeps in Afflecks own bed and they wake up with his arm around them and he should be condemned. Hollywood Logic

I have no clue have many times I've woke up spooning a random in my own bed or them trying to take advantage of my drunk ass when I used to have parties

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i can imagine your ears getting blown out with those peaks in the action scenes. so yeah, headsets wold be a no go.