The Outer World

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm not surprised. The current teenager generation of gamers don't give a shit about Steam nor have the allegiance to it that others do.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
If Metro : Exodus sold that well with their storefront being that anemic, they might just say fuck it, though.

Metro Exodus sold more on the Epic store than Last Light did on Steam

The very first paragraph of the article tells us why the idea of Exodus selling more on Epic games is such a shit argument. Maybe it'll interest people who have no idea what the fuck they are talking about when it comes to internet gaming.

I will buy games that I still want even if they're on Epic, but the fact that they haven't pushed major changes for their platform already is just silly. I had to install Division 2 twice because Uplay wouldn't recognize the Epic install. Its not just "incomplete" but its actually shit tier.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It pissed me off when 3rd party titles were console exclusives and it pisses me off when they are platform exclusives. I will liberate this from the Internet to protest the idiocy of a 12 month timed exclusivity deal.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It pissed me off when 3rd party titles were console exclusives and it pisses me off when they are platform exclusives. I will liberate this from the Internet to protest the idiocy of a 12 month timed exclusivity deal.

I keep hearing this argument and its dumb. We aren't talking about not being able to play shit because you have an Xbox and its a PS exclusive. We're talking about different icons on your desktop.

Epic store being a shit platform is a legitimate gripe. But that gap will close (hopefully) within a year or two. Totally understand that that doesn't help anyone today however. But if you want to break down a monolithic platform as steam it wont be done overnight and it wont be pretty.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They're one more fuck you away from being Bioware to me.
After reading Avellone's stories of what they tried to do to him when he left and Feargus' mismanagement in general, they were already nearly BioWare tier imo, and this deal pushes it way over the line.

Metro Exodus was the last Epic-exclusive game I buy, even on console.

Also, all these shill articles appearing today grossly misrepresent what those numbers actually mean. Metro was a barely-known IP when Last Light first released, of course it sold fuck-all on Steam in its first month. 2033 was mostly known for being a great PC benchmarking tool like Crysis before it until the remakes came out on consoles. It makes about as much sense as comparing early Witcher 2 sales to Witcher 3's. What's more interesting is how many of the SJW/gamer-hating sites are parroting more or less the exact same story. Makes you wonder if there was a little something extra from Epic in the PR release just like they buy their exclusivity deals.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The real numbers you'd want are the epic store PC sales and the internal projections the company had for Exodus on Steam/PC.

Nonetheless I don't think the company is displeased with the sales numbers.

Vorph

Nonetheless I don't think the company is displeased with the sales numbers.
From what I understand Epic's deals have some weird legalese where they aren't actually paying a lump sum but rather guaranteeing X number of sales. Which makes me wonder if they will always report that number as the floor for copies sold no matter what the truth is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I keep hearing this argument and its dumb. We aren't talking about not being able to play shit because you have an Xbox and its a PS exclusive. We're talking about different icons on your desktop.

Epic store being a shit platform is a legitimate gripe. But that gap will close (hopefully) within a year or two. Totally understand that that doesn't help anyone today however. But if you want to break down a monolithic platform as steam it wont be done overnight and it wont be pretty.

Fuck that, it is still about artificially limiting choice. This is even fucking worse from the developer because it isn't some new code base to port in order to give players choice; they are simply taking a bribe to not put it on Steam but since they said they will do it after a year then the Steam cut must not be too onerous or they would just be an Epic exclusive forever. They want make that gamble and we will see if it pays off.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fuck that, it is still about artificially limiting choice. This is even fucking worse from the developer because it isn't some new code base to port in order to give players choice; they are simply taking a bribe to not put it on Steam but since they said they will do it after a year then the Steam cut must not be too onerous or they would just be an Epic exclusive forever. They want make that gamble and we will see if it pays off.

This is the shit that I do not understand. I used Steam exclusively for what? 10 fucking years until I bought something on GoG. Do you know why I even tried GoG? Because they retrofitted old shit like Twinsen's Odyssey (seriously play this game if you haven't faggots) and Baldur's Gate II (my numero uno game of all time) to modern operating systems. That was their original hook. Now GoG does it all while also keeping with their no DRM mantra. Which is cool. That is a strong hook for their platform but it took them years to grow and developing Witcher certainly helped.

Are exclusives nice for the consumer? No not really. Is bullying your way into a market a good strategy? Sometimes but not always. Are there features that other platforms have that Epic doesn't? Absolutely they suck dick in that regard. Am I mad that they exist? No. Their existence and clout as long as Fortnite reigns supreme will let them expand into further markets and change shit up. Is it an organic and natural evolution like GoG? No. Is it paineless? No.

I'm still glad it's happening. We're in a world where big time triple A publishers will have their own platforms. Like Blizzard, Origin and etc do. Outside of that another bull in the ring is good for us all.

Vorph

There is not one single thing about Epic store that's good for consumers.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't we already have a gigantic bitch sessions about Epic vs. Steam in another thread? Why not keep it there. I love how I am not so invested in some store that it stops me from buying a game I want to play if it happens to be on another store.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Outer worlds is releasing on game pass, isn't it? Get 6-12 months of that now, convert to ultimate, play TOW on PC (or xbox) for "free" alongside a few dozen other games. Just getting it for Forza Horizon, Gears of War 4 & 5, and whatever Halo games you haven't played is worth it. Heck, you can even play Metro Exodus right now on PC and that game just released like 3 months ago
The Outer Worlds will launch on Xbox Game Pass this October

This is probably the game I am most looking forward to this fall, and not having to pay anything extra with my 3 years of GP ultimate is icing on the cake