The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
First, thank you. So back then, there was grass and shit around the pyramids right? It wasn’t like Stargate where it’s just desert? Did the Romans hide/destroy a lot of what Egypt had built after they conquered them? What made Rome want to get rid of them?
Ah no. The whole area was basically necropolis land - the Pharaoh built their pyramids there because the terrain wasn't good for anything.

Egypt has always been pretty much: near-Nile = floods = extremely fertile cropland / not-Nile = arid shit. The mere presence of the Nile meant you could grow crops. You dug out the banks so that the flood extended much further, and you gained more arable land. The Romans pretty much took over, said "stop bothering with your shitty craftsmanship, we need food".
I remember going to Bath in England and there was huge Ronan city with the underground bath houses etc. Had never thought about how Rome invaded there.
Caesar didn't stop at invading Gaul, he made a good stab at invading Britain, but didn't go very far. The Emperors after him pushed slowly upward almost to "Scotland" before logistics and unruly pictish tribes pushed them back in the 2nd century AD, then they had their internal problems (like, an empire starting to collapse) and evacuated their troops in the 5th century AD, leaving the locals pretty much alone.
What’s a good book/resource to break all this down?
If you are interested specifically in Roman History, a general introduction that I find good would be Mary Beard's SPQR:

If you want a more general ancient history, then I can suggest Robert's History of the World:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Ah no. The whole area was basically necropolis land - the Pharaoh built their pyramids there because the terrain wasn't good for anything.

Egypt has always been pretty much: near-Nile = floods = extremely fertile cropland / not-Nile = arid shit. The mere presence of the Nile meant you could grow crops. You dug out the banks so that the flood extended much further, and you gained more arable land. The Romans pretty much took over, said "stop bothering with your shitty craftsmanship, we need food".

Caesar didn't stop at invading Gaul, he made a good stab at invading Britain, but didn't go very far. The Emperors after him pushed slowly upward almost to "Scotland" before logistics and unruly pictish tribes pushed them back in the 2nd century AD, then they had their internal problems (like, an empire starting to collapse) and evacuated their troops in the 5th century AD, leaving the locals pretty much alone.

If you are interested specifically in Roman History, a general introduction that I find good would be Mary Beard's SPQR:

If you want a more general ancient history, then I can suggest Robert's History of the World:

Sincerely thank you!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
First, thank you. So back then, there was grass and shit around the pyramids right? It wasn’t like Stargate where it’s just desert? Did the Romans hide/destroy a lot of what Egypt had built after they conquered them? What made Rome want to get rid of them?

I remember going to Bath in England and there was huge Ronan city with the underground bath houses etc. Had never thought about how Rome invaded there.

What’s a good book/resource to break all this down?

The museum made me realize I know nothing about the old world, Indians, or Aztec Incan Mayans.
the Giza Plateau was green around ten thousand years ago. since that time its rained less and less turning the area into a desert.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
the Giza Plateau was green around ten thousand years ago. since that time its rained less and less turning the area into a desert.
Yea, but the Pyramids were built later, when the area was no longer much in use.

The entire Sahara zone is oscillating between wet and dry climates on very long scales. Most of recent history, including that of what we'd call Egypt is in the dry period. There were, of course, people in the area at the time, but I'd hardly call them egyptians. Proto-egyptians, at best. Egypt itself has "only" existed since around 3150BC when the various kingdoms were unified.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yea, but the Pyramids were built later, when the area was no longer much in use.

The entire Sahara zone is oscillating between wet and dry climates on very long scales. Most of recent history, including that of what we'd call Egypt is in the dry period. There were, of course, people in the area at the time, but I'd hardly call them egyptians. Proto-egyptians, at best. Egypt itself has "only" existed since around 3150BC when the various kingdoms were unified.
not much is known about the civilization in place before King Menes, just that he conquered them and turned it into what is called Dynastic Egypt. you know I'm all about the ancient civ stuff and i believe that the Pyramids and maybe even the Sphynx predate dynastic Egypt by quite a long time. its an imnpossibility that the entire thing was constructed in 30 years. i think the dynastic egyptians just renovated them. which is very doable.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Please don't laugh at me:

My knowledge of world history is laughably bad, I'm as ignorant as it gets. I brought my daughter to the local museum of natural science, which had some amazing exhibits. They had one large Egyptian coffin that was dated "300 - 30 BC". I guess in my head I imagined most Egyptian stuff being much older that than that. My question is, in the time of Jesus (since they are dating it 30 BC, not debating about existence of a god), there were Egyptians? Like Egyptians with coffins with mummies inside, praying to the sun god, etc? I know most people were polytheistic at the time. I guess I always imagined in Jesus' time they lived in shitty mud houses or something. Were things a little further along than that at the time?
Ancient Egypt with the Pyramids was ~4500 years ago. Ancient Egypt with the tombs (Tutankhamun) was ~3500 years ago.

The Greeks then the Romans conquered Egypt ~2000 years ago. Cleopatra was the last Pharoah when the Romans took over, but she was just from the ruling Greek family who had adopted some of the traditions.

So that coffin you are talking about is closer to us in time than it is to the Pyramids.

All of the pagan religions (Hindu, Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Norse) are theorised to be the same religion with a distant origin point with each culture diverging over time due to isolation (The languages are all connected too).

The Romans agreed with that and just merged their gods with the equivalent Egyptian ones when they took over.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

2020.05.27 - UAP Event 1​

A flashing UAP (that at first appears like an airplane on this low light sensor) comes from the southwest then stops, lights up, then heads east. 1 min. Dahua Panorama Camera with 1/1.7” 12 Megapixel progressive scan STARVIS™ CMOS rated at .001 Lux/F2.8 which means airliners at cruising altitude appear on the screen as points of light similar to the object here.

This video was captured from the top of a high-rise building during an electrical storm.

2020.05.27 - UAP Event 2​

Twenty minutes after the first event, the Tracker captured this video. The object again appears to approach from a great distance before it stops and changes direction multiple times.

• 4Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users