The Prepper Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
X-post for the plebes.

lulz Edaw Edaw , all this talk about sunflowers, how'd you miss making a sunflower field w/ mutant aoc?
7jvya8ctruxa1.png

(i don't know where to make ai stuff, and we don't have an easy 1/2/3 guide)

• 1Worf
  • 1Repost
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
X-post for the plebes.

Weeds heal soil. I think we're just learning to think about them that way in agriculture. I heard a podcast with a range consultant who was riding around in a rancher's pasture and saw a patch of milkweed when there was none in the surrounding area. She asked what happened there and the guy sheepishly admitted that he had buried a bunch of old car batteries in that spot. Milkweed can take up heavy metals, especially zinc, and they were growing there doing just that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So they absorb it and then what? You gather em all up and bury them somewhere else?

Which is a zillion times easier as far as soil cleanup goes. Pack them in to a cube and put the cub in a mountain.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Figured i should take my own advice, i was just using basic grocery bags (cloth) so i got cubes that fit perfectlyView attachment 482340

i put a full brisket in there to show the size difference, the brisket is laying on a squared off section which i can only assume is where the motor is, the chest freezer goes deeper (you can see the brisket underneath.

so w/ my basic chest freezer i can fit 3 of these bags (i got 3)...

unfortunately the bottom is froze, so i have to thaw first, heh, thats the penalty i get for putting the chest freezer outside. (there is no room inside or in the garage)

heres the measurement of the bag and if you want the same one (i chose the cheapest color)
14.57” x 9.84” x 9.84”
WiseLife Reusable Grocery Bags [3 Pack],Large Grocery Tote Bag Water Resistant Shopping Bags Foldable Collapsible Grocery Bag for Clothes,Toys,Shoes and Picnic

your chest freezer will vary i assume? but if it's 14in, these bags will fit nicely

also it's insulated, which turns out to be a bonus, so if you leave it out on the floor, it will not melt right away
update on these grocery cubes i'm using, i guess the cloth strength is neg 10 once its in the freezer for a while, all the straps broke off, idk if it's chineseium or what, but i guess i'll have to find a vinyl or plastic solution? sucks cuz it was working pretty well (until they snapped)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
What actually works really well, especially if you can find the right size, is just plain old cardboard boxes.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
ULine has every size of cardboard box you can imagine. Think you need to order 25 though.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In scouts we always had contest using one match for fastest to burn and pop the baloon above it with water in it.

I will say a piece of lighter pine about the size of match give or take is a fanastic fire starter. It never goes out. It's basically some wood wrapped around turpentine. Also know if you throw one in the fireplace when the fire is already going and it's the size of a brick you will be moving your chair back in short order.

What's funny you still see adults sometimes trying to light a fire with a match or a lighter and they pick up a gigantic stick and hold the lighter to it like suddenly a stick the size of your arm is going to catch fire and presto.

Diesel and styrofoam

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My dad always told us we only got one match to start the camp fire. My go to was always dry pine needles as kindling but as an adult I learned to find fat wood which is pretty awesome if you can get it. Pine needles are still the shit but a chunk or two of fat wood can get you over the hump when the regular shit isn't working so well. I have meant to get better using flint and steel. I've gotten fires going with them but you really need some nice, dry kindling to get that to work. I bought a can of magnesium shavings as a cheat. Much easier than trying to shave it off those little square fire starters.

Diesel and styrofoam

If you have styrofoam, you don't need diesel. I burned a few large chunks of styrofoam that my new TV came packed in out in my burning barrel and basically caused a minor ecological disaster. I had flames coming 10 feet out of the burning barrel and the cloud of black smoke practically made my house disappear even though I was only 50 yards away from it. It was pretty impressive. My neighbor drove by and I'm kind of surprised he didn't call the fire department.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Magnesium bars are the shit. I've got one in my bugout bag, and every year I start the first fire in the fireplace with it just to appreciate the lighter for the rest of the year. But really, some Kleenex/toilet tissue, and a magnesium bar and a knife and you should be able to get anything going. And you should have all that shit with you whenever you're in that kind of situation anyway

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Ferro rods like this one...

71n+CVCCo2L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

Are vastly superior to the little ones on the magnesium fire starters. Starting a fire outdoors with wood you just gathered is also vastly different than in your fireplace with no wind and cured firewood, even if you are lucky enough to have some dry toilet paper available for kindling.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My dad always told us we only got one match to start the camp fire. My go to was always dry pine needles as kindling but as an adult I learned to find fat wood which is pretty awesome if you can get it. Pine needles are still the shit but a chunk or two of fat wood can get you over the hump when the regular shit isn't working so well. I have meant to get better using flint and steel. I've gotten fires going with them but you really need some nice, dry kindling to get that to work. I bought a can of magnesium shavings as a cheat. Much easier than trying to shave it off those little square fire starters.

If you have styrofoam, you don't need diesel. I burned a few large chunks of styrofoam that my new TV came packed in out in my burning barrel and basically caused a minor ecological disaster. I had flames coming 10 feet out of the burning barrel and the cloud of black smoke practically made my house disappear even though I was only 50 yards away from it. It was pretty impressive. My neighbor drove by and I'm kind of surprised he didn't call the fire department.

Styrofoam and diesel makes napalm meaning you can stick it to something while it is on fire and it sticks.