The Problem With Jon Stewart

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
You are either intentionally misreading my criticisms or you're just being dense.

I dont care about his brand if comedy and dont care that people like it. I care that his comedy became the de facto, and usually only, source of progressive political talking points. They even adopted his delivery as their debate tactics. He knew that it had gone beyond comedy and was being treated as an actual news source but refused to tell his audience that he was not serious because he relished his place in the zietgiest. He went on actual political shows, gave his political opinions, and then refused to defend those positions on the basis that he was the host of a comedy show. That is cowardice and the analogous to current anti-racists refusing to defend their shitty opinions because anyone that disagrees is racist anyways.

So one more time for the mouth breathers; Jon Stewart dunking on Republicans never bothered me just like Bill Mahr dunking on Republicans doesnt bother me. But at least Mahr will admit that he truly holds those beliefs and the things he says on his comedy show he espouses in real life as well.
Man you are fucking dense on this. Just because a comedy show was a better source of news than the actual news at the time doesn't make the show actual news. It was always a comedy show. Whether those were his actual opinions or not wasn't an important aspect of it. Was it funny? That is the actual question. And for the time, it was fucking hilarious. The fact that he had more accurate fact checking than CNN and Fox, just by being a parody of them? /chefskiss

If our team was smart we would adapt and improve upon this. The Bee is doing a good job of it in print.

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Man you are fucking dense on this.

If our team was smart we would adapt and improve upon this. The Bee is doing a good job of it in print.

How to you not see the contradiction here?

You should be fucking horrified if 'our side' started using the Bee as an authoritative source because it is obvious satire and the owners freely admit that they are not news and should not be taken seriously.

• 3Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
How to you not see the contradiction here?

You should be fucking horrified if 'our side' started using the Bee as an authoritative source because it is obvious satire and the owners freely admit that they are not news and should not be taken seriously.
So... exactly like Jon Stewart did with The Daily Show?

And for the record, we are already making the same jokes about the Bee being more accurate than CNN because we are in clown world. Satire is just the truth in a couple hours/days/weeks at this point. It doesn't make the satirist a journalist, and they don't owe us shit other than the comedy they are providing.

Caliane

So... exactly like Jon Stewart did with The Daily Show?

And for the record, we are already making the same jokes about the Bee being more accurate than CNN because we are in clown world. Satire is just the truth in a couple hours/days/weeks at this point. It doesn't make the satirist a journalist, and they don't owe us shit other than the comedy they are providing.
"a comedic take on the news" The daily show pretends their stories are real. The Bee does no such thing.

At no point does the Daily show come out and say, "we make shit up", and report it as real, while making jokes about it. It's only the people criticizing or suing saying, "Hey, you edited what I said", etc. But Oliver, Daily show, etc act as if their reporting on a subject is 100% correct, then make fun of it, while giving their Opinion of what the "correct" thing should be.

The jokes about the Bee being accurate are in hindsight. the Bee says something crazy. within 6months, it happens. Thats not remotely the same thing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1EyeRoll

spronk

FPS noob

Despicable Me Lol GIF

i watched 1 episode in s1 and thought it was the shittest thing ever

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Thought it was cancelled after first season

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Havent watched the show but the podcasts were mostly good. Shame I wont get more of those.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
He should have done it on his own from the start instead of whoring it out to Apple. Maybe he will now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised anyone takes anything he produces seriously after his episode about Whiteness.

To be fair, I have not taken him seriously since he hid his propaganda pieces behind the veil of 'comedy' and then told people with the courage to call themselves political commentators that THEY were the problem. The hypocrisy should have struck him dead right then.

• 3Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I find his interviews very well done, the rest of the show was run of the mill desk/jokes/graphics style.

His podcasts are interesting, depending on the topic. I hope he sticks with interviewing, although I have no idea why some of these people agree to them. (they must know he's going to challenge statements)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
didnt he retire long ago or wasnt he replaced by a black dude? whatever, this guy needs to finally fuck off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
^^ I sometimes can't tell if some of you guys are serious, and uninformed or just being cheeky.