The progressive rock thread

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
My favorite prog is and will always be John Wetton era King Crimson, but Rush will always hold a special spot in my heart. Their 70s and early 80s output helped shape modern prog, idk how you can say they're not prog.

PLeased dont be offended, just wanting to have an objective talk. It's just that since i was a snob and people that like banshee and the soiuix were suddenly rush fans. rubbed me wrong because, it\they where following a trend, they didnt give shit for the music.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PLeased dont be offended, just wanting to have an objective talk. It's just that since i was a snob and people that like banshee and the soiuix were suddenly rush fans. rubbed me wrong because, it\they where following a trend, they didnt give shit for the music.
Oh I am VERY offended :p

Nah it's cool man haha. Just confusing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Oh I am VERY offended :p

Nah it's cool man haha. Just confusing.

The best explenation i can give you is Deloused in the comatorium came out when someone showed me rush. Rush sounded like elevator music compared to that sick record. Tainted my view. They are fine musicians, to an extent.
I mean, im a huge Camel fan and camel does not sound al that different. I dunno, cant explain it.

Also, im european. Dirty canadians can't play prog. It's euro music :p

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What are your thoughts on Steven Wilson? I think Raven That Refused to Sing is the greatest prog album I've ever listened to.

• 1Solidarity

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
What are your thoughts on Steven Wilson? I think Raven That Refused to Sing is the greatest prog album I've ever listened to.

It's defo in my top 10, the solo Guthrie does on drive home made me sit in awe the first time i heard it and was honestly moved, dont think iv heard so much passion without trying to prove anyone. Just tasty jams man. His use of the whammy bar to blend notes is so soulful and tasty. The rest of he album is equally masterful. Luminol is fun, but the only i skip. Porcupine tree was not my cup of tea. But Raven is a masterpiece

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The best explenation i can give you is Deloused in the comatorium came out when someone showed me rush. Rush sounded like elevator music compared to that sick record. Tainted my view. They are fine musicians, to an extent.
I mean, im a huge Camel fan and camel does not sound al that different. I dunno, cant explain it.

Also, im european. Dirty canadians can't play prog. It's euro music :p

Ah man, De-loused is one of my all time favorites, and I'm a real big Camel fan too.

Prog-rock-brofist.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
A small dump of some of my mainstays. Been listening to some of these since i was a like 12.

Listen to this riff.

got carried away. this is the shit. Give it listen. Some great musicianship in these.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I know you wont belive me, but i'm from Kristiansand, same city as Green carnation. Know some of the them barely. Small world. THe part time drummer is the brother to the guy thta married my high school sweetheart lol

That's believable :) and cool.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
My buddy was a huge Genesis fan back in the 70s -- Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Trick of the Tail -- every time a new album was released he'd drag me over to listen to it. I thought it was all shit, and still do. I was more interested in space rock and bands like Eloy, Nektar, etc. Had thousands of albums on vinyl and gave them and my system to my nephew. It was all new to him. Now I have a near field setup on my desk playing all digital. Sometimes I discover a band on Youtube or Spotify and realize I had the album way back when and completely forgot about it. There's no such thing as bad music, only music that moves you and music that doesn't.

• 1Like