The Purge (2013)

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Purge (2013)

Tagline: One night a year, all crime is legal.

Genre: Science Fiction, Horror, Thriller

Director: James DeMonaco

Cast: Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey, Max Burkholder, Adelaide Kane, Edwin Hodge, Rhys Wakefield, Arija Bareikis, Tony Oller, Tom Yi, Chris Mulkey, Tisha French, Dana Bunch, Peter Gvozdas, John Weselcouch, Alicia Vela-Bailey, David Basila, Nathan Clarkson, Boima Blake, Jesse Jacobs, Mickey Facchinello, Chester Lockhart, Tyler Osterkamp, Rj Wolfe, Aaron Kuban, Karen Strassman, Cindy Robinson

Release: 2013-05-31

Runtime: 86

Plot: Given the country's overcrowded prisons, the U.S. government begins to allow 12-hour periods of time in which all illegal activity is legal. During one of these free-for-alls, a family must protect themselves from a home invasion.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
the premise in the trailer seemed good and it had me interested until it just turned into a slasher flick. I'll probably watch it anyway though!

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Saw this preview before Evil Dead; definitely looking forward to it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The strangers was so bad too.. the french original version ( I think it was french) was so much better.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah, with the masks and shit i honestly thought it was a sequel somehow.
Really the premise is great until idiots in masks show up. Seriously if you have your 12 hour window of no holds barred mayhem who cares what you look like so why bother wearing a mask.

Chris

Potato del Grande
People people would shun you the other 364 days and then murder you in a years time? WTF kind of stupid question is that?

spronk

FPS noob
i hope the rest of the family reminds that dumbshit kid every 5 minutes its his fault they are all about to die

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
When will people learn to turn on parental controls on all their gadgets? Geeeez.
haha, he has this big retarded security system and yet no passcode to prevent retards from unlocking it!

(I love that we've all shit this movie to death before it even came out!)

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
I think theres more behind that one guy they saved than we know. They said he was targeted, plus their wearing masks, plus they ask politely at first before breaking in. Then again I could be overthinking it and it is just a slasher flick.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since you guys talked so much shit about it I had to go look it up somewhere besides Apple, so I figured I'd share for the rest of the people that don't have iTunes either.

I might watch it on video, in the hopes that the older daughter gets naked.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I think theres more behind that one guy they saved than we know. They said he was targeted, plus their wearing masks, plus they ask politely at first before breaking in. Then again I could be overthinking it and it is just a slasher flick.
No, I got the vibe he wasn't just some randomly chosen victim. Like maybe he knows something about corruption within the purge or something. Something he knows if it got out would stop the entire thing dead in it's tracks. If you're allowed to randomly kill people you don't need masks.

That said, I want to be the guy that runs the company that sells the shit to protect the houses. He's got to be the Bill Gates of that world.

Caliane

Think this movie's premise just has too many obvious logic flaws. Kindof failing at a what if, satire. Never mind, that the trailer doesnt seem to know if it wants to be a thought exercise or a slasher flick.

Is ANY crime legal? wouldn't some hacker literally own the world once per year or something?
The corruption involved in embezzlement would be ridiculous. Like 90% of businesses would go out of business when the CEO empties the accounts into their personal accounts during this period. Although I guess if all networks are shut down, that would help?
the problem is the world is supposed to be exactly like ours, except for that one change it seems. yet, this change would fundamentally change how the world works on every level. Society would be radically different.

Goatface

it seems like a neat idea, but don't see anyway it would work for all crimes. might be easier to pull off if just said murder. the trailer to me seems like it is going to end with some the white man is bad lesson

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Could be seperated into two types of crime. Regular crime, and organized crime or something. With some being against the law still, while other more localized crime is fine. Hard to tell though from the trailer. Might have more explanation in the movie.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Maybe it's only "hands dirty" type crimes. No financial or cyber crime.

I brought this movie up at work today, and we went on for a bit about it, the movie is going to have to explain a LOT or be crazy stupid. Emergency services are suspended...what if you get shot 2 minutes before the night ends, will they come to your medical attention? What would happen if you were about to blow a co-worker away, the bell rings, and you have to stop? Fucking stink-eye every day at work for a year. If someone killed my girlfriend, then the bell rings, I'm probably going to pretend I didn't hear it as I'm blowing the fucker's head off. What happens to me?

Hackers from destroying all records of home ownership? Terrorists from blowing up skyscrapers?

We also discussed war profiteering would be crazy rampant. If I ran a gun store, every bullet is $100.

We could do this all day, the movie is going to have to make some broad sweeping rules that answer all of these, answering them on too specific a level will just eat up time and make us all hate the movie.

Last thing:

I have a theory

Everyone is under constant surveillance to see if they are preparing in ANY way, which is HIGHLY illegal. If you're caught hacking, making bombs, stock piling weaponry, anything that shows you're getting ready, you get something like 20 years in prison. Then the date is randomly chosen once a year, within 2 weeks of the date it was last year. Only when you're told the date can you begin preparing. This would prevent most large crimes, make it so you only had the time and resources to do smaller shit.

Later edit: Or it's a way the government created to let the animals take care of themselves...FUCK I'm over thinking this.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database