The Random Questions About Gaming Thread - or TRQAGT for short

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Question: When was the moment when we got remote controllers?

I'm having an old man moment :(

...and google is giving me the right but wrong answer.. fucking Atari, c'mon.

htrth.jpg

I'm thinking it was the Playstation 3, but.... I honestly can't remember. When did it happen?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm serious, I literally can't remember when controllers went wireless and I googled that and I KNOW it wasn't Atari... they're just giving me the technical jargon answer of when it literally happened. When did us plebes bask in the glory of remote freedom? It was PS3 right? (but what about Xbox / Nintendo? That's why I'm asking...)

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
acclaim-remote-controller-commerical-still-1989_png.png

Was some variations back to 1983 for things like Atari, Vic-20, etc. NES was probably the first main-stream console with the option.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
View attachment 404146

Was some variations back to 1983 for things like Atari, Vic-20, etc. NES was probably the first main-stream console with the option.
I have never once heard about that controller, Wade.

We had the NES Max and NES Advantage... both were wired (and damn good controllers for their respective functions):

NES-MAX-Controller-FL.jpg

416cbDZS0yL.jpg

I'm talking about mainstream. As I said, I know google gave me the ultimately correct answer, but I was curious about when it really was in the hands of most people. I know it's not really important but I was playing and I thought to myself... holy crap, I don't remember there ever being a day when I was super excited about being wireless on a console simply due to the fact that it became mainstream after I got into EQ and was 100% devoted to a keyboard/mouse then. PS2 was the last console I played a bunch and had a shitload of games for before EQ and that was wired too. That's why I assumed PS3 was the first but I don't know if Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Atari had it before PS3... I really just don't know. I also didn't know what thread was most appropriate to ask and get a genuine answer so... Amod it is! They can move it if they please but I'm not trolling, I just wanted to know :p

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
If only we had a forum dedicated to gaming...
...and if only there were a thread called "Random questions about gaming" to post under.

What do you want me to do... create a new thread so people would say I'm just attention whoring again? That'd be absurd!

Izo

Tranny Chaser
gamer GIF by Totorial
Video Games 90S GIF
Video Games Gamer GIF by G FUEL
GIF by HyperX
Video Games Love GIF by Chippy the Dog

By popular demand - the random questions about gaming thread

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
...and if only there were a thread called "Random questions about gaming" to post under.

What do you want me to do... create a new thread so people would say I'm just attention whoring again? That'd be absurd!
Make It So Star Trek GIF

Amod Amod - at your leisure.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
How come, after only using PCs for 40ish years, I have so much trouble getting even half way good at typical gaming controllers.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
How come, after only using PCs for 40ish years, I have so much trouble getting even half way good at typical gaming controllers.
You trained your muscle memory to respond to a rectangle of plastic designed for word processors.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Man when I tried to play Halo on XBox I was fucking HORRIBLE. It was embarrassing

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm indifferent... I leave it in your fine hands.
It would be somewhat hypocritical of me not to move them in this case.

I think this could be a fine thread for general gaming shitposting and occasional useful information. Just remember this isn't screenshots.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I think it was the wavebird, when "modern" systems really pushed for wireless.

and reading the wiki, they agree.
"This controller would become the first modern wireless gaming controller,[13] leading to the proliferation of wireless console gaming controllers for subsequent gaming generations, starting with the seventh generation's Wii Remote (Wii), DualShock 3 controller (PlayStation 3) and the Xbox 360 controller (Xbox 360)."

basically every modern game controller is just copying Nintendo. top buttons, vibration, trigger, d-pad, and joy stick, etc.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
What I find weird is that the freedom of being unplugged wasn't a bigger deal than it was back then. It should've been marketed and hyped up more imo, which... maybe it was and I wasn't paying attention because: EQ, amirite?