The Random Questions About Gaming Thread - or TRQAGT for short

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What I find weird is that the freedom of being unplugged wasn't a bigger deal than it was back then. It should've been marketed and hyped up more imo, which... maybe it was and I wasn't paying attention because: EQ, amirite?

It wasn't a big deal for a long time because wireless controllers were pretty shit back in the day. I had tried several for the PS1 and 2 and always went back to wired due to reliability issues. The first wireless controllers that I used consistently were the Xbox 360 and PS3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm serious, I literally can't remember when controllers went wireless and I googled that and I KNOW it wasn't Atari... they're just giving me the technical jargon answer of when it literally happened. When did us plebes bask in the glory of remote freedom? It was PS3 right? (but what about Xbox / Nintendo? That's why I'm asking...)
all wireless controllers were trash and laggy until nintendo cameout w/ the wavebird for gamecube
51JFSBXC7ML.jpg

and then ps3/360 followed up

• 1Like

Caliane

I still refuse to use wireless. latency and batteries suck.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Ahhhh, a true evolution versus a lightbulb moment.

See, I missed out on the trajectory of console gaming post 2000 due to EQ. I never balanced gaming between the two... I was one of those "in the game for 16 hours a day" freaks and it was all-in. Makes sense seeing how the Gamecube was released in 2001... the dates all line up. Damn. EQ really put a dent in my life heh.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Feels so attached and tied down, I knooow, I knoow.

I use an old wired Xbox 360 controller for my PC. The cord is long enough I can lay on the couch on the other side of the room and play. Don't need batteries.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I use an old wired Xbox 360 controller for my PC. The cord is long enough I can lay on the couch on the other side of the room and play. Don't need batteries.
Are you saying batteries suck more than wires?

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are you saying batteries suck more than wires?
In my case, yes. I use a wired keyboard, a wired mouse, wired headset, wired controller.

I'm a busy man, I don't always remember to plug rechargeable devices in, or have replacement batteries on hand.

And rechargeables wear down over time through use. My friends PS5 controllers only last like 2 hours.