The Realm -- Relaunched

Siliconemelons

Yeah there were a lot of dynamics that TRO had - enchanting and perming weapons and armor, emitting etc.

The relaunch has no weapon or armor crafting *yet* - so that's sad

The level 1000 cap now is, interesting... there are armor and weapon tiers at 300 600 900 - so it adds content. And there are more places to hunt - but all in all it is still grindy fun and lots of chat still. It's no EQ or wow, it is its own thing still

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I downloaded it just because. Wow do I forget a lot about that game. I was in the mood to play something without investing a lot of time. This could work.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
The gameplay (IMO) went real downhill when they added level requirements to weapons, I think that was around the time Codemasters took over. Not being able to twink with 6x Wraths or Executioners took a lot of fun out of, what was already a very limited fun combat system.

And fuck that Snake Pit dungeon.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
I downloaded this last week. Great trip down memory lane.

If you plan on playing, I would suggest ‘multiboxing’with two accounts in two game windows from the start - one wizard and one warrior. I’ve been soloing and realising how at 500+ you are fairly disadvantaged on running certain dungeons solo.

Also to level - ignore any of the guides once you get to about lvl 30. Make sure that level 30 is a all intelligence elf wizard. Learn sorcery skill to buy the skill multi blade then meditation to boost its dmg also buy gather the fellowship. Take your chosen additional characters (up to a party of 6 I think) to the Festering Hate Pool Dungeon - from Wen teleport go 6 spaces up and 6 right. Set combat speed on fast for everyone except your multi blade wizard. In the dungeon enter the sarcophagus, go one down and then gather the fellowship. Enter combat the group of bats, spam multi blade on the wizard and guard on everyone else. Exit the dungeon with just the wizard, back in to the bats and gather again - repeat to lvl 250. Can hit 100 in a matter of hours and you don’t need any gear for this.

Siliconemelons

Those stupid bats give that much exp?

I didn't start boxing until my warrior was 150 and soloing started to be hard- so I have made a wiz and she is in the 60s - mass hold and multi blade while the warrior randomly beats things is great.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
They give a decent amount of exp and die in one multi blade cast so it’s extremely fast not to mention resource efficient since multiblade is only 3 mana.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm having fun playing this again. I play very randomly. 2 hours the first night, then a break, then a few hours a few nights later. My character is level 12 or 13 now. I went with an all strength human adventurer named RealHostile. I've earned around $10k so far from selling almost everything I encounter. And I was told to invest in a nice 2h weapon, doesn't matter the style. Just because I have so much strength, it's a good idea. So I'm hoping someone has one for sale or I'm able to find one in a dungeon. Aside from that, my character is wearing a full set of tempered iron armor. I'm enjoying this.

Someone in general chat said that every dungeon has a chance of dropping level one "super weapons" of every style. There's a 2h club, for example, called the massive object or heavy object that has really high damage. So I'm trying to encounter one of those. Then I'll focus on raising that skill to max.

This is a warning to anyone who thinks about playing this game.

The current owners calling themselves Ratlabs LLC are nothing short of a bunch of crooks.
These people will ban your accounts for no reason even if they are paid claiming you are either botting or sharring accounts or other lame reasons, Yet are unable to prove it.

Their lead coder has made a hashup of the games code and his incompetents shows clearly with half ass patches, or / and poor updates, Many of which require hours of downtime to fix or roll back.

The lead owner is a power hungry man who throws his weight around Banning and dissing people with little or no reason.
The customer service is one of the worst i have every dealt with. A player who gives her time to the game answers all CS related tickets with the same copy paste answers. Even if you are complaining about a very vaild point.

Staff side with their real life friends in all matters, No matter if they break every single game rule. In the past 4 months Their discord channels have been taken over by a group of some of the most racist and prejudice people I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

This game has always been classed as PG 13, However any parent that allows their child to play this is asking for trouble. Players talk openly about sex, drugs, abuse and threaten each other. Staff do not monitor the channels or simply just do not care. The community is so toxic that as a new player you are made to feel unwelcome from the start. people run riot throwing around abuse, false accusations and pure filth. The long term players are so above the games rules that they are allowed to break every game rule and are never punished.

For those wishing to View this and judge for them selfs you can join The realm onlines discord channels asn just view the channels.
Realm Online Discord

If you search using Google You will find a large amount of very dissatisfied people who have had disputes with the current owners lack of management skills.

Here is a website that popped up almost instantly. What it displays is shocking and just goes to show the extreme extent of how poorly the game IS managed.
Check it out here

Below is an artical that appeared on google just a week ago

Realm Online review.jpg

I 100% agree with everything in this artical and who ever wrote it.

Be warned this game is not worth its $5 a month PER account and you WILL have your accounts disabled sooner than you can blink.

• 2Worf
  • 2Faggotry
  • 1Slow
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The current owners calling themselves Ratlabs LLC are nothing short of a bunch of crooks.
These people will ban your accounts for no reason even if they are paid claiming you are either botting or sharring accounts or other lame reasons, Yet are unable to prove it.

Their lead coder has made a hashup of the games code and his incompetents shows clearly with half ass patches, or / and poor updates, Many of which require hours of downtime to fix or roll back.

The lead owner is a power hungry man who throws his weight around Banning and dissing people with little or no reason.
The customer service is one of the worst i have every dealt with. A player who gives her time to the game answers all CS related tickets with the same copy paste answers. Even if you are complaining about a very vaild point.

Staff side with their real life friends in all matters, No matter if they break every single game rule. In the past 4 months Their discord channels have been taken over by a group of some of the most racist and prejudice people I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

This game has always been classed as PG 13, However any parent that allows their child to play this is asking for trouble. Players talk openly about sex, drugs, abuse and threaten each other. Staff do not monitor the channels or simply just do not care. The community is so toxic that as a new player you are made to feel unwelcome from the start. people run riot throwing around abuse, false accusations and pure filth. The long term players are so above the games rules that they are allowed to break every game rule and are never punished.

For those wishing to View this and judge for them selfs you can join The realm onlines discord channels asn just view the channels.
Realm Online Discord

If you search using Google You will find a large amount of very dissatisfied people who have had disputes with the current owners lack of management skills.

Here is a website that popped up almost instantly. What it displays is shocking and just goes to show the extreme extent of how poorly the game IS managed.
Check it out here

Below is an artical that appeared on google just a week ago

View attachment 341466

I 100% agree with everything in this artical and who ever wrote it.

Be warned this game is not worth its $5 a month PER account and you WILL have your accounts disabled sooner than you can blink.

Never heard of this game before, but if a bunch of trannies are complaining that it's run by "white dudes over 35" I might have to give it a shot

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

***Diatribe***

Sounds like you or your friends are cunty.

You should try to get their discord banned, just to show how un-cunty you are.

Never heard of this game before, but if a bunch of trannies are complaining that it's run by "white dudes over 35" I might have to give it a shot

They are a small team of borderline autists that saw a game that was dwindling and thought "Oh, it would be cool to update this game I played and possibly make some money doing so too.."

Not a shocker AT ALL that liberals are butt-hurt over someone trying to do something.

The game is old as fuck, turn based combat, Kings quest frame by frame movement (think a MUD made visual "Move North" "Attack a rat" but all done with an ancient UI).

The changes that have been done have been good but there are hiccups since the code base is like 30 years old and GENERALLY undocumented. if they add it to phone, I will 100% play it long term I can't do it on PC since I'm already playing too many "Focus" games as is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i started playing The Realm in 1995 when it was in its beta, then i subbed for 3 or more years til EQ went live and then i dropped it. it was very very limited in content. example. you could power up to lv 1000 (it may be even higher now), but the mobs only went as high as lv 150 and those were the bosses. in order to get to much higher levels you needed to kill mobs that gave a diminishing amount of exp. why would you bother doing such a thing? why would you continue grinding day after day hour after hour of killing mobs that only gave you a few points of exp? PVP! thats what. after a certain point, say lv lv 400-500+ you started becoming so powerful you could kill anything and anyone around lv 200 and under when they were out in the wild and if you wanted to keep playing you had no choice but to level up too. i was a lv 700 or something Adventurer when i quit and there really wasnt anyone that could kill me, i could kill most players if i wanted to, but lowbie gear aint worth shit and i liked hanging out in town chatting with friends. griefing would rack up your negative points and when you went into towns you would get summoned by the warden who put you in a dungeon where you had to wait out your sentence in real time. i had a friend who racked up months of Real time jail time and he quit the game when the warden finally got him.

so what i did was kill other griefers. griefers were usually pickpocketing thieves or PK assholes waiting around for unsuspecting noobs to murder while they were just out having fun killing trash mobs. i would walk around with my lv number turned off (i think it would say Lv ???) and wait on mofos to try shit. i would then engage them into combat, usually start off with a freeze spell so they couldnt run away and then either kill them or glitch the fucking game and leave them frozen in the woods and call out in chat that so and so was frozen and to come pickpocket all their shit. i would do this every day and it was fun as hell for a while. back then chat was heavily moderated and you couldnt say anything controversial, which sucked.

they also wiped the game of items a few times to stem the flow of high level players , which didnt work at all and it was a kick to the nuts of anyone who was in the game from the start, the cherry on top was them giving you a plaque on the front of your house as a consolation prize for taking all your hard earned items away. it didnt work because highbies just waltzed into any dungeon and killed the bosses with spells or their fists and were back to being equipped and powerful in no time. the suck part was them taking your fairy drop items out of the game which were unique colors and styled gear. fairy drops were items randomly dropped in the woods by fairies who came out on holidays, little gift boxes which could have random equipment, the more you collected, the more likely you were to get unique items.

anyway, by 1999 i was over this game and moved on. it being a shitlord's paradise now is only making me want to start playing again.

• 2Like

Cybsled

I remember wanting to play, but I don’t think I met the RAM requirements at the time, or maybe modem? I do recall I didn’t upgrade my RAM until Velious. Zoning used to take like 5 minutes, then I doubled my RAM and it look seconds lol

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I remember wanting to play, but I don’t think I met the RAM requirements at the time, or maybe modem? I do recall I didn’t upgrade my RAM until Velious. Zoning used to take like 5 minutes, then I doubled my RAM and it look seconds lol
i think i was rocking 34k Baud at the time and for 2 years in EQ i was at 58k. when i upgraded to DSL (it took a long time for it to come to my area) EQ was like a whole new game. in The Realm you really needed a fast modem because you could constantly get jumped and you would be dead before you knew what was going on. that worked in my favor a bunch of times with people on slower connections.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I love the fact this thread was necroed just to complain to THIS FORUM about transphobia and white male privilege. Better yet, the post was made by either a fake alt account or a lurker. Good times.

This game was my first mmo game and I have good memories of it cause I was a kid. I remember seeing the MECH's or w/e and freaking out with excitement. The green tabards for lvl 1000 etc. Those big 2h swords, Wraths(?). I could never even think about playing this game now though. Moving around frame by frame would drive me insane. I tried to play Torin's Passage not too long ago and couldnt force myself through it, even though I was in love with that game too.

Reading over everyones comments about this game being like a social/cybering hub move from INN made me question how I even heard about it as a kid. But then, I probably saw an ad for it in one of the Sierra games.This game probably made my parents despise me taking up the phone line non stop though.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Wait, MECH as in the guild? Fucking lol, I remember them from NWN on AOL back in the day. I can't recall if they ended up in EQ1. EQ1 vanilla had a ton of the old NWN guilds running around for a time.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I love the fact this thread was necroed just to complain to THIS FORUM about transphobia and white male privilege. Better yet, the post was made by either a fake alt account or a lurker. Good times.

This game was my first mmo game and I have good memories of it cause I was a kid. I remember seeing the MECH's or w/e and freaking out with excitement. The green tabards for lvl 1000 etc. Those big 2h swords, Wraths(?). I could never even think about playing this game now though. Moving around frame by frame would drive me insane. I tried to play Torin's Passage not too long ago and couldnt force myself through it, even though I was in love with that game too.

Reading over everyones comments about this game being like a social/cybering hub move from INN made me question how I even heard about it as a kid. But then, I probably saw an ad for it in one of the Sierra games.This game probably made my parents despise me taking up the phone line non stop though.
the MECHs were just some dudes who stood around north of Leinster chatting and duelling, i dont think i ever saw them actually do anything. it wasnt like they raided zones together, they were all so high level any one of them could solo all the top dungeons in a few minutes. i could have joined them or one of the other big guilds, but i wasnt going to start over just so i could put MECH before my name. and i could do anything they could do without their help. i did eventually join a guild, Jedi Council, just for a laugh, we didnt raid either, but we would dress in same color robes and meet up in one of the taverns and fool around. there really wasnt anything to do in this game once you were past a certain level which you would reach in just a few months.
berncomf.jpg

my guild outfit. :p

• 2Like

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
anyway, by 1999 i was over this game and moved on. it being a shitlord's paradise now is only making me want to start playing again.
By the time I first heard of this game (late 96), UO was right around the corner and I thought this looked like ass so I never played it. But by today's standards, The Realm seems like a long lost masterpiece.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
By the time I first heard of this game (late 96), UO was right around the corner and I thought this looked like ass so I never played it. But by today's standards, The Realm seems like a long lost masterpiece.
in hindsight i probably should have done UO instead. Furby and FoH seemed to be having a ball there and when i wasnt killing griefers i was bored to tears killing trash mobs for a miniscule increase in exp. maybe its for the best, i might have ended up in FoH and i wouldnt have met all the friends i made on the Emarr server. some of them we still keep in touch. oh well. The Realm was a pisspoor game if you were depending on them to provide content for you. it could be awesome if you improvised and created your own content by PVPing assholes.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Or it's the the most clever shill of all time

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Ya, I find it hard to believe someone would have just blindly walked into here and touched on all those elements in their complaint with their first post without doing an iota of research on the political leanings of many of the active posters here

I support the "smart shill" theory

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users