The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

So much great shit in this. The Magic Johnson joke and Mike getting his Trek reference in for the last line of the video are just cherries on the top

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Watch these guys pretty regularly, all their stuff is great. The GetEven BotW episode is some hilarious shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
There was one with an actress who was talking like a text to speech app. Flat and with a constant pacing to the words and delivery I think they called her Siri.

They did a side by side comparison with one, it was funny.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
How can you not like a bunch of Midwestern guys making a living from filming themselves getting hammered and watching and critiquing bad movies.

Seriously, is this not in the top 10 ways you would like to make an easy living? I do this for free without the cameras to this day.

Anyway, I love these guys. Of course, their videos can be hit or miss (both black spine vids were terrible) but I have cried laughing at some of their stuff over the years.

Big fan. Best of the Worst has always been the highlight of their videos, but no the wheel or the plinko stuff because most of those videos (aside from defending from edge weapons or whatever that vid was, classic) are patently terrible. But when they riff on truly great bad movies, RLM shines. Kind of like Mystery Science Theatre 3000 for adults, and without all the fuckwits that Netflix decided to use in their updated series.

And RLMs mocking of youtube fansite videos is awesome as well.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Most of RLM that I'd seen was 90% Plinkett reviews and some Half in the Bag, but I'd never seen Best of the Worst. In the spirit of Christmas, I tried one of the holiday episodes and man it did not disappoint.

Also have to shout out my favorite Plinkett review, fucking Cop Dog. Fuck off, ghost!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, that new MST3K is god awful. They had the gall to claim some sort of anniversary episode on s2 nexflix. I saw that and turned it off. No. Just no. I mean god damn. Talk about washed up and trying to coast on the echo of someone elses success.

Patton and Felicia seem to have found a way to take the joy out of bad movies. Half of S1 was ok. That one with the Star Wars knockoff with David Hasselhoff was purdy funny. Couldn't even make it 10 minutes into S2.

Rich Evans, Sex Wierdo > the both of them combined!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Patton and Felicia seem to have found a way to take the joy out of bad movies. Half of S1 was ok. That one with the Star Wars knockoff with David Hasselhoff was purdy funny. Couldn't even make it 10 minutes into S2.

That's because neither of them have an ounce of talent. The only reason they're even a thing is that they were both easily palatable likable geeks at a time nerdom was taking off. That's it. Felicia Day owes everything to young nerds who had never seen a woman be a nerd before, let alone a mildly attractive one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Patton was funny once. It hasn't been since George Bush was president, but he did have an actual act once upon a time.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Patton was funny once. It hasn't been since George Bush was president, but he did have an actual act once upon a time.

Right. Once upon a time. It's his nerdy stuff that keeps him around, such as his P&R Star Wars fillibuster. Have you watched (or tried to) his standup? The dude wouldn't recognize comedy if it fucked him in the ass with a rubber chicken.

• 2Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I'm totally new to what MST3K is, it showed up on Netflix here in Aus . . . like a week ago. Which is the latest series.

I think I had seen a reference to it once or twice before, seemed like something up my alley, so I started it up. Several damn minutes of setting up the premise and Patton and the chick taking up screen time. Before finally getting into the actual watching the film. I was surprised to see that they really sit there and run through the entire movie. It was Mac and Me ( which I'd never watched ) I had thought that they would do a thing of only showing choice bits of the film as they point out its failures & crack funny jokes. But no, you'd be sitting there for the entire film.

Some of the stuff they were saying was kinda funny, yes, but I'm not going to sit through all of Mac and Me for a few chuckles along the way. So I bailed.

Perhaps if I see a listing for a D grade movie that I've seen and know that it's ripe for this kind of treatment, then yeah I might watch that.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm totally new to what MST3K is, it showed up on Netflix here in Aus . . . like a week ago. Which is the latest series.

I think I had seen a reference to it once or twice before, seemed like something up my alley, so I started it up. Several damn minutes of setting up the premise and Patton and the chick taking up screen time. Before finally getting into the actual watching the film. I was surprised to see that they really sit there and run through the entire movie. It was Mac and Me ( which I'd never watched ) I had thought that they would do a thing of only showing choice bits of the film as they point out its failures & crack funny jokes. But no, you'd be sitting there for the entire film.

Some of the stuff they were saying was kinda funny, yes, but I'm not going to sit through all of Mac and Me for a few chuckles along the way. So I bailed.

Perhaps if I see a listing for a D grade movie that I've seen and know that it's ripe for this kind of treatment, then yeah I might watch that.
the old ones from the 90s are good. But and miss, but lots are good. It's like what Elvira used to do except with running commentary.

Pod people and ator are the two I immediately remember. There's another I know I'm forgetting.

It depends on the quality of the bad movie. Not all bad movies are the same entertainment. From the new series, the star wars knockoff with David hasslehoff (s1) was funny enough alone that it didn't require much punch up commentary.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

I'd give Space Mutiny a watch. That one's fantastic.

• 2Like