The Sandman

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gestahl

Trakanon Raider
Having never read the it, I assume that the gay and racial stuff wasn't it originally?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The first half of "The Sound of Her Wings'" is a note-for-note adaptation that pulls no punches and really got to me.

It took me a bit to notice that she is Chidi's Aussie love interest from The Good Place but she just nails the role.

This is completely and unapologetically The Sandman and I'm absolutely here for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having never read the it, I assume that the gay and racial stuff wasn't it originally?
To give you an idea of how much they woked the characters, this is death in the books.

1659787239395.png

This is Death in the show.

1659787287557.png

So...no, there was not. I preferred death being pale white because that is kind of what happens to a person when they die. It made sense. They did the same thing in Super Natural.

Original Death

1659787502703.png

Changed too...

1659787560239.png

So apparently now the most feared being in the universe is a black woman.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol its Gaiman and Sandman. Nothing about it needs to be cannon. He was majorly involved so all the changes were approved by him.

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I watched the first two episodes and they were great. Sure, one feminist line in one scene, but if you are bothered by that little, cmon, you will enjoy nothing in life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So my significant other somehow managed to get to 2022 without having read The Sandman despite being a huge fan of genre stuff especially horror and such.

Watched most of the season last night and today has been like fielding questions from a hyperactive 4 year old punctuated with "why didn't you tell me about??!"

Wasn't sure how I would feel about "Clara Oswald" as Constantine, but I really liked it. Nice thing about being Neil Gaiman in 2022 is that he was able to get pretty much whoever he wanted for various characters. ... and now after this he will be able to get anyone at all.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Oh shit, this is a series? My wife just tried to watch it because she's a gaimon fangirl but she shut it off because it was too slow. I thought it was a movie. I'll let her know it's a series, that may change her pacing expectations.

100% thought it was a movie, too

• 1Like

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm a pretty huge fan of the series and thought that this was pretty good. There were several changes made that bothered me more than others though
I really disliked that Lucifer played champion in the game rather than Dream simply besting the demon. I also disliked that they didn't go into the fact that Hell is no longer ran solely by Lucifer, etc.
the race changes and added woke stuff were all meh but I did finish it wanting more.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To give you an idea of how much they woked the characters, this is death in the books.

View attachment 426530

View attachment 426531

So...no, there was not. I preferred death being pale white because that is kind of what happens to a person when they die. It made sense. They did the same thing in Super Natural.

Original Death

View attachment 426532

Changed too...

View attachment 426533

Yeah, Death is much scarier as a pale cute goth chick.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I've watched the first four episodes. Lots of little changes, which would normally bother me, but didn't. Note that the original series did have gay characters and such. The new Mathew stuff is annoying. At first I thought the series would just end with the 'get his stuff back' arc, but apparently not.

The biggest change is they removed non-sandman related characters, such as The Martian Man Hunter.

Series is good so far.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Watched the first episode. Really liked it. The lead they cast seems perfect. He feels very otherworldly or ethereal in the role.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
The Joana Constantine casting is pretty terrible.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

what happened was, everyone kept punching death in the throat as he drug their sorry asses away. Once they changed him to a black woman all that nonsense stopped.

• 1Worf

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Farther in the series. All the bad guys are white people so far. 60-80% of couples are also gay.

• 1Worf

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I'm going to finish watching this pile of shit just so I can justifiably shit on it more, but good fucking god - it's non-stop woke gay shit every. fucking. episode.

The only heterosexual couple I've seen - they literally named them Ken and Barbie. It's a woke fucking farce. Salt this shit all you want but this is a 100% textbook example of 2022 Netflix taking liberties with a show to shove faggy bullshit down your god damn throat.

• 12Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

Gestahl

Trakanon Raider
I'm really enjoying it, but it is quite ridiculous the amount of woke content. What purpose does it serve? It's all so OTT, it really takes away from it. Grumble grumble. Bought the first anthology of comics to read so I can compare the two myself!

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

View attachment 426530

View attachment 426531

Original Death

View attachment 426532

Changed too...

View attachment 426533

the biggest mistake they made in the supernatural finale was not having the original death show to reap God.

• 2Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cool, but abundant gay. Brien of Tarth being pushed across all media as beautiful is triggering manipulation.

• 1Worf