The Sci-Fi Book Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pops

Robert Heinlein - grok
Isaac Asimov - robots
Arthur C. Clarke - Hal

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Most David Weber books are exactly that (Honor Harrington, etc.). In particular the ones he did with Steve White. There is a 4 book series of Insurrection, Crusade, In Death Ground, and The Shiva Option which are pretty damn good, and have a lot of space battles as well.

Also, there are lots of Warhammer 40K books that deal with space combat, but if you don't like that universe you probably wouldn't want to read the books. And it is hit or miss as to whether or not they are any good.

Was gonna ask the same thing. Which series has lots of space battles and such?
Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series is very 'Space Navy', revolves heavily around fleet combat. Good but not great. a solid B.

Loved Hamilton's Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained.

Atm reading Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation.

As far as classics, Haldeman's Forever War.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Are there any decent SF novels revolving around military fleet combat/warfare?
Yeah, as mentioned previously, pretty much anything David Weber has done - also add to the list Evan Curries books, erm, Valkyrie Rising is the first one I think, either that or 'On Silver Wings'. There's a fair amount of it in Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon.

An overlooked book, and a bit tough to find, Alexander Besher's 'Rim: A Novel of Virtual Reality' was a good read, a great blend of Sci Fi with Asian cultures and mythologies.

T-rex_sl

shitlord
Does anyone else useGoodreads?

I've really enjoyed M. John Harrison, both the Kefahuchi Tract series and the novels from Viriconium that I have read so far.

Greg Bear has always been good. Forge of God/Anvil of Stars has probably been my favorite from him.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I use Goodreads as well, although I only have a couple of friends on there (forever alone) so the most use I get out of it is new releases by authors I've rated each month, which comes in a handy email. If we all want to be Goodreads friends I'll post mine as well, once someone tells me where the link is
tongue.png

EDIT: Think I figured it out, you have to edit your profile and enter something to personalize your url. At least, that's the only way I could figure out to do it. So here's mine, add me if you want:

goodreads.com

tongue.png

Toga

Trakanon Raider
+1 for Hinz's Paratawa series. Those were some of the best book I've ever read. Very unique.

Way of Kings by Sanderson is probably the best Fantasy novel written in the last 10+ years. It's amazing.

If you're a giant robot fan, the first 3 "Classic" battletech books by Michael Stackpole are also great reads, though a bit hard to find.
Warrior: En Garde, Warrior: Riposte, and Warrior: Coupe.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you're a giant robot fan, the first 3 "Classic" battletech books by Michael Stackpole are also great reads, though a bit hard to find.
Warrior: En Garde, Warrior: Riposte, and Warrior: Coupe.
Oh hell yeah, I'm gay for old Stackpole stuff. His "Blood of Kerensky" Battletech trilogy is awesome too, if I remember correctly.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Been listening to Hamilton's first Void book. It's not bad. I love the idea of bionetics. Sure wish we had 'em now.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
sci-fi:

Weber- harrington or the books he did with White, his Dahak Series (first two books-third book is more "fantasy" in nature(planet that lost tech. all books combined into empire from the ashes)
Campbell's Lost Fleet series
john ringo's looking glass series that he did with travis "doc" taylor(Darpa employed rocket scientist, and star of rocket city rednecks). it starts alt-earth and ends up with space travel & space marines.
John Ringo's Troy Series (starts alt earth and ends with planetoid battle stations in space.

lets see what else has not been listed...

well going to old pulp fiction, the Perry Rhodan Series (it is dated-tech wise, starts out in the late 1960's) and only 130ish books got translated.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I've been reading the Deathstalker series recently. Not great, but not bad. Kind of filler reading as you're looking for something better.

sabiz_sl

shitlord
Iain M. Banks new Culture novel see's him back on solid form. He has kept me entertained since his first novel "wasp factory" and I got a creeping sense of woe that his growing wealth (well deserved!) had lead to the loss of his mojo.

Seems its back to his best with "The Hydrogen Sonata".

Tin Man_sl

shitlord
Been listening to Hamilton's first Void book. It's not bad. I love the idea of bionetics. Sure wish we had 'em now.
If you like Void, I recommend his recentGreat North Road. It's set in a similar universe as in the Pandora/Void series (travel from planet to planet is done through gates), but not quite the same. The first part reads as a kinda police procedural (but with much advanced technology) and gets pretty epic towards the end. Highly enjoyed it!