The Science Video Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brad2770

Anyone have some good videos or links to easy ways to memorize the Periodic Table? I want to teach my son this stuff, but I should probably know it pretty well before I do. most of the shit I am finding is just classic "Sit down and study until you memorize it" kind of thing or stupid songs. I don't mind sitting and studying it, but I want to do it in a proficient manner. Thanks.

Brad2770

My son is pretty smart. He likes science, so I wanted to give him a jump start on things. I want him to know what things are made of and to avoid silly things like thinking Calcium is white in it's raw form just because milk is white. I only know the elements well up to Iron. I want him to know more than that. Heck, I want to know more than that.

Speaking of iron, it brings me to a question- Once a star starts making Iron, then it's pretty much on it's death bed. What happens if iron is introduced to a star early? Will it have an impact on it's life? Does the iron just burn up? Does it sit in the star, floating around until the star can make iron on its own? Just something I was curious about.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
Speaking of iron, it brings me to a question- Once a star starts making Iron, then it's pretty much on it's death bed. What happens if iron is introduced to a star early? Will it have an impact on it's life? Does the iron just burn up? Does it sit in the star, floating around until the star can make iron on its own?
I would imagine it would be very difficult to introduce matter into a star because of the forces at play, just the pressure of the sound a star makes alone would be hell of an obstacle. I imagine that if a chunk of iron infiltrated the sun and was large enough to cause disruptions that it would cause a solar flare and be ejected back in to space. It is pure conjecture on my part but my reasoning being that the iron would cause a region of lower temperature which would build in pressure until the force behind become strong enough to cause a gigantic explosion to eject the problematic matter.

Grimsark

I will also note that all solar science, attempting to predict the life cycles and 'phases' a star goes through in its presumed life span, are all really an accredited form of pseudo science and at best, over-educated guesses, based on results we get in extremely SMALL and extremely SHORT terrestrial experiments. Which are then meant to describe the extremely MASSIVE and extremely LONG-lived phenomena we call stars.

When talking about star life spans, you are talking BILLIONS of years, and tens of thousands of years in between onset and finale of the supposed phases themselves. The scientific method sorta breaks down when the 'Observation' and 'Prediction' portions of it, is the span of HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS of life times.

So the community relies on statistical sampling (we see countless stars), probabilities based on individual element characteristics, and what we find in analyzing the spectrum of light from the variety of stars we can otherwise barely see.

Its tantamount to the early Greek philosophers observing the divisibility of matter and pontificating over Atomism, without ANY way of actually verifying their statements. Sure, they where kind of correct, but LARGELY very mistaken. (Note: I know the Greeks are not the only ones that talked about the idea, but its convenient)

I will also note that all solar science, attempting to predict the life cycles and 'phases' a star goes through in its presumed life span, are all really an accredited form of pseudo science and at best, over-educated guesses, based on results we get in extremely SMALL and extremely SHORT terrestrial experiments. Which are then meant to describe the extremely MASSIVE and extremely LONG-lived phenomena we call stars.

When talking about star life spans, you are talking BILLIONS of years, and tens of thousands of years in between onset and finale of the supposed phases themselves. The scientific method sorta breaks down when the 'Observation' and 'Prediction' portions of it, is the span of HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS of life times.

So the community relies on statistical sampling (we see countless stars), probabilities based on individual element characteristics, and what we find in analyzing the spectrum of light from the variety of stars we can otherwise barely see.

Its tantamount to the early Greek philosophers observing the divisibility of matter and pontificating over Atomism, without ANY way of actually verifying their statements. Sure, they where kind of correct, but LARGELY very mistaken. (Note: I know the Greeks are not the only ones that talked about the idea, but its convenient)
Really bra? Comparing Astrophysics with Homeopathy, healing crystals, and ley lines (pseudo science)? That rant seems dubious at best and without any backup, looks like an argument from someone who only has a basic understanding of the theories.

Are you trying to say that the telescopes that can send amazing photographs of the Sombrero Galaxy at 28 million light years away, can "barely see" the star Betelgeuse at 642 light years away?

Where is super scientist Neil DeGrasse Tyson when you need him to write a dissertation to properly explain the nature of things...