The Science Video Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mysterion_sl

shitlord
What happens if iron is introduced to a star early? Will it have an impact on it's life? Does the iron just burn up? Does it sit in the star, floating around until the star can make iron on its own? Just something I was curious about.
As I am not a scientist take everything I say with a, well, sun-sized grain of salt.
I guess that you would need serveral Jupiter-sized lumps of iron to make any difference in the suns fusion processes at all. Which made me think about a planet consisting solely of iron. The pressure in the center of the ball must be immense. Like earths core it would become liquid and since it's not isolating well would the whole ball of iron be liquid at some point in time? seeList of thermal conductivities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If the ball was spinning it would also be a gigantic dynamo, i cant even imagine the fields such a thing would be generating.

anyway, @brad2770, i am sure you already know about the latest supernova, but in case you missed it:Supernova in Messier 82 discovered by UCL students

and since this is a video thread, something a little like science (newtonian physics, elasticity, friction):

Sulrn

Deuces
Speaking of ley lines, is it really pseudo science? Or is it poorly defined naturally(or manmade) occurring electromagnetism?

mysterion_sl

shitlord
The Earth's core is solid dude:Inner core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only the outer core is liquid.
thanks for pointing that out. so i am only 80 years behind in science
wink.png

toomanynames_sl

shitlord
Yeah like no picture or video, so don't kill me, but that supernova actually happened like 12 million years ago (approx. distance of that star to our planet), right?

Grimsark

Really bra? Comparing Astrophysics with Homeopathy, healing crystals, and ley lines (pseudo science)? That rant seems dubious at best and without any backup, looks like an argument from someone who only has a basic understanding of the theories.

Are you trying to say that the telescopes that can send amazing photographs of the Sombrero Galaxy at 28 million light years away, can "barely see" the star Betelgeuse at 642 light years away?

Where is super scientist Neil DeGrasse Tyson when you need him to write a dissertation to properly explain the nature of things...
I don't mean to be argumentative, but Pseudo Science has a very specific meaning, apart from its popular use as an ad hominem.
And it wasn't a rant to me when I typed it. I simply tried to point out that much of what passes as accepted astronomic fact today isn't much better than what passed as accepted physical science fact 2000+ years ago. The dominant tools used are damned near the same... (e.g. inference and speculation)

So place your trust where you will, and so will I.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I don't mean to be argumentative, but Pseudo Science has a very specific meaning, apart from its popular use as an ad hominem.
And it wasn't a rant to me when I typed it. I simply tried to point out that much of what passes as accepted astronomic fact today isn't much better than what passed as accepted physical science fact 2000+ years ago. The dominant tools used are damned near the same... (e.g. inference and speculation)

Yeah you are right. There is no difference between taking accepted physical and chemical theories and applying them to the cosmos and picking up a rock and proclaiming it god.

Grimsark

Yeah you are right. There is no difference between taking accepted physical and chemical theories and applying them to the cosmos and picking up a rock and proclaiming it god.
Some horses are simply destine to death by dehydration...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

You realize things like stars are actually very simple physical process right? They arent rube goldberg machines.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
eh they are a little more complex in practice than just understanding some basic principles. like I was surprised to learn it takes quantum tunneling for many stars to achieve nuclear fusion at all.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
eh they are a little more complex in practice than just understanding some basic principles. like I was surprised to learn it takes quantum tunneling for many stars to achieve nuclear fusion at all.
obviously the specific mechanics behind nuclear fusion is complex, but at the end of the day its just a ball of hydrogen and helium.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
obviously the specific mechanics behind nuclear fusion is complex, but at the end of the day its just a ball of hydrogen and helium.
Actually, at the end of a suns day it's probably carbon and oxygen or supernovas and turns into God knows what.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for that video. The electric universe stuff he talks about is the 4th order of matter separation (akin to gravity unifying matter) and looks like it's attempting to reconcile why stars/galaxies are accelerating away from each other (repulsed, in this instance).

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Grimsark

Thanks for that video. The electric universe stuff he talks about is the 4th order of matter separation (akin to gravity unifying matter) and looks like it's attempting to reconcile why stars/galaxies are accelerating away from each other (repulsed, in this instance).
Very welcome. I expected insults, not appreciation, posting an electric universe talk.
smile.png
(Its still early though)
But I find, what they are doing, closer to real science than current Einsteinian and Newtonian cosmology/astrophysics are. And it doesn't make me very popular when I share it.
I'll note that like all science, I try to maintain a healthy skepticism even though I generally think they are on the right track.

• 1Garbage

Pennilenko

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'll note that like all science, I try to maintain a healthy skepticism even though I generally think they are on the right track.
Really, we should all be skeptical of any grand scale science, most of our "space" related sciences are only hypotheses at best since the only experiments we can design for at that scale are tiny terrestrial based representations. Now I have no doubt that our knowledge of the cosmos is expanding at a rapid pace, and a lot of the theories are probably pretty darn accurate, I still believe that we must remain skeptical until we can perform proper grand scale experiments to prove our theories.

However, I also think skepticism is healthy and critical for every category of science. Skepticism helps provide for proving or disproving accuracy in assumption and theory. Without skepticism we might all still think the world is round.

• 1Garbage