The Secret World

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I'd say you skipped too many quests in Kingsmouth or weren't playing carefully enough. You shouldn't be pulling multiple mobs at a time in the amusement park. It's hard to have a bad spec as every weapon is good enough to solo with but you can make mistakes in equipment choices. If you had a hard time in savage coast then blue mountain would be murder for you.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I disagree; I think it's very possible to have a bad spec. If you don't pay attention to synergies and how the skills work together, you can end up very weak.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah no you can totally have a shit spec in TSW, it's one of the things that makes it hard for me to return to the game casually. There's a LOT of interaction with your shit and it can be hard to just dive in and find what you want. That said, starting with 2 weapons and building those naturally up it should be easier to see how they synergize and whatnot. Limiting yourself to 50 skills is way easier to get a handle on than when you're at the endgame and have like 400

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
He's talking about savage coast, not Carpathian fangs. You can't have a shit spec in Savage coast, you don't have enough skills to even work on synergy yet.

I saw this thread had some action so I thought I'd ask a question. I started this game two different times. Once when it first came out and then I started all over when it appeared on Steam. Both times I had a really good time in the first zone. I found it challenging enough to make me pay attention to where I was running but easy enough to be fun. And then I went to the second zone with the amusement park and died constantly in that zone both times through. Each time I quit before finishing that zone because I found it too hard to be fun. Do you all think I was playing a bad spec? Did I miss an in between zone somewhere? Am I just bad? I enjoyed the first zone so much that I keep hoping there is something I had missed that would explain the difference in experience and make it worth me trying again. Did anyone else have this experience?
Yeah , gear is probably what was lacking. Upgrade asap whenever you change zones , even its a healing/tank/dps item as long its a quality above it will help with dmg/tanking. Remember thats where your "level" comes from. So the higher the better , at least thats what i ran into whenever i would enter new areas and noticed the difference when i would upgrade with whatever as long as its a quality higher in that slot.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
He's talking about savage coast, not Carpathian fangs. You can't have a shit spec in Savage coast, you don't have enough skills to even work on synergy yet.
Actually you can gimp yourself in there somewhat , especially solo skill/weapon wise. You can get through Kingsmouth for example 100% pure DPS even solo, no healing of any kind or tanking , albeit much easier if you do something that is a mix , but can get then pummeled fairly quickly in Savage Coast stepping in there with low equip but also because of skill selection for soloing anyway.

So while it might not be a shit spec , it can be a noticeable difference in difficulty to try some of the missions there solo compared to Kingsmouth if you've got zero healing for example.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I think it's gear that is the choice, or being careless. It's very easy to die by pulling too many mobs, and that goes for any zone in TSW. If you complete every quest then you should have pretty close to a full suit of appropriate QL greens before moving onto the next area, but if you don't choose the right ones to wear then it could be difficult. I always thought Blue Mountains was the hardest zone in the game... Once you have gotten through there every zone afterwards feels easier by comparison, until the harder quests in carpathian fangs where you really need both a good build and good gear selection if you're going to solo.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I played pretty far, but stopped just as I got to Transylvania.

Someone just posted that it's free up to the haunted mansion? I played well past one of those. I actually loved that after I did all the haunted house missions and learned the story of the house, that I could kill myself, run to the house while dead, and see all the dead people running around the mansion
wink.png

Syringed_sl

shitlord
Actually you can gimp yourself in there somewhat , especially solo skill/weapon wise. You can get through Kingsmouth for example 100% pure DPS even solo, no healing of any kind or tanking , albeit much easier if you do something that is a mix , but can get then pummeled fairly quickly in Savage Coast stepping in there with low equip but also because of skill selection for soloing anyway.

So while it might not be a shit spec , it can be a noticeable difference in difficulty to try some of the missions there solo compared to Kingsmouth if you've got zero healing for example.
A lot of people at launch managed to gimp themselves in Savage Coast by not equipping a second weapon. Sometimes it was because they simply didn't know you could at first. (Like myself) The others simply objected to the idea of being forced to use two separate weapons or be gimped. I had a RPer who was trying to heal only with blood magic at launch in a dungeon group. She was removed after we died repeatedly because of her refusal to use a secondary weapon type to assist with healing.

Kleenex_sl

shitlord
Thanks for all of the advice. It was probably mostly gear from what you have said. I did do all of the quests in the first level but I didn't do the group quest at the end where is probably where the best gear comes from. Let's just mark it up to I'm bad!

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for all of the advice. It was probably mostly gear from what you have said. I did do all of the quests in the first level but I didn't do the group quest at the end where is probably where the best gear comes from. Let's just mark it up to I'm bad!
You don't need to do the dungeon although yes gear much better than the quest stuff comes from there and it will certainly make your life easier. If you finished Kingsmouth you should have a full suit of QL3 greens which will be enough to do Savage Coast. If you have enough Solomon Island tokens (60 I think) I'd highly recommend running to Blue Mountains and buying yourself a blue QL6 weapon from the vendor.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Anyone got any opinions on the new Mission Pack? I kind of gave up after the Venice stuff. Died the first time I ran a scenario and then remembered I don't consider grinding the same map over and over for points/tokens/widgets any fun at all.

TheYanger

I haven't tried anything past the solo scenario stuff (Grouped it seems more fun, solo it was hard as balls). But I did play this again yesterday for the first time in ages and I wish I had done so sooner before Wildstar's launch, definitely the best MMO in years, why we keep pining for originality and then playing bullshit like GW2 and ESO is beyond me - this game was wholly unique and fun, and still is, but you can only really play it as a casual :/

As far as 'scenario repeatability' I felt the venice stuff was better than most games. But, like I said I barely managed to beat it on solo, and relearning after quitting for years is significantly harder in this game than any other (look up builds? oh I don't have half those skills. welp).

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Yep. It's a shame all that shit happened to Funcom and slowed down all their development. Tokyo still isn't out and it's been like 2 years.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
This really was a badass mmo, might install it just to play through the story they added

This really was a badass mmo, might install it just to play through the story they added
I did about six months ago. You won't regret it. The story packs they added (about 3-4) were sensational with great rewards. I quit when they released the repeatable holo missions. I found them too hard on solo with my fresh off the levelling builds/gear and they are pretty repetitive. I have been keeping an eye out for Tokyo but it is LONGGGGGGG delayed.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nice I might try them, the whole look and feel of the game is what I like including the soundtrack. I stopped right after they released the nightmare mode for Ankh so I am at full 10.2 I want to say? Not even sure on what spec would work and I wasnt around for Aux weapons which seem cool to try also.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
this game always did look badass and fun to me but I never got into it, if anyones gonna pick this back up just for some shits n giggles let me know ill give it a whirl for sure.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
The 'endgame' for this does absolutely nothing for me, but going through all the story stuff is some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. I can see those that just spacebar through all story/quest info not enjoying it, but if you find the setting interesting and like to get into the story/lore of games it's definitely worth a play.

TheYanger

The first 5 issues are free now too. There's a lot of new content if you quit before any of the patches. It's all pretty good.