The Secret World

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, escalation might be better, but when I've run that build I've always used Prey on the Weak. Just found it to be better single target dps. As far as Breakdown goes, it's not just on impaired state, thats a bug with the websites builder. Log into the game, and it shows it builds a 3% damage debuff with every hit from a builder from Sword, Hammer, and Fist. Change came out with 1.4, and it's nice because it no longer forces you to have to use escalation.

Just picked up the game yesterday. I've barely gotten in to it yet because my main computer was down and my notebook doesn't run the game worth shit. How does the single server thing work? I could have sworn I picked a server when I created my character.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Just picked up the game yesterday. I've barely gotten in to it yet because my main computer was down and my notebook doesn't run the game worth shit. How does the single server thing work? I could have sworn I picked a server when I created my character.
You can basically do PVE content with anyone on any server, but only PVP with those on your server.

Rime

<Donor>
Hoping this game goes on sale, missed out when it was a few weeks ago and I am unable to bring myself to buy it for over $20, despite how much fun it looks. I may break down as the Steam holiday winds to a close. *Grumblegrumblegrumble*

In Egypt now, changed from Blade / Blood to Blade / Chaos with good results, I have passives from all over the place, anything to keep AFFLIC/ WEAK / PEN procing constantly. All 'normal' mobs die fast. 'Hards' are easypeasy as long as you dont get bad adds, the spawning Mayan mobs can make shit go south if I dont notice them.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Was out of town and I haven't played this game in a few months but for "leveling" up I'd suggest blade/fist combo. You can see my characterherewith my default "leveling" setup. Again it's been a few months so not sure what's changed with the game, but that build was able to solo anything and never die, plus kills groups of mobs fast. don't bother attacking single targets just run around grabbing up groups and slaughtering them. If you get in trouble spam a few hots on yourself (you'll always have a few weak HoTs on you from various passives) then martial discipline+radiance and you're at full health. rinse in repeat, no downtime gaining exp as fast as you can grab up groups to kill. also don't need to bother building up counters, literally 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 since the added damage from penetrate clearing the path more than makes up for not having 5 points. The lone single target stun was just for boss mobs in the middle of groups to break any specials that might have had.

Rime

<Donor>
Talk about unoptimized... downloading the game right now and it is nearly a 40gig install.

Kobalt

Trakanon Raider
Well like swtor it has a ton of voice work so that might explain some of the size. Also like swtor this game runs like ass for some reason.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Talk about unoptimized... downloading the game right now and it is nearly a 40gig install.
Thanks for that info. I think I'll try and nab it onsale at one of the B&Ms, instead of digital download. Gotta love bandwidth caps.

I'm curious also how this runs, although I have a decent PC so not too worried about it unless it is really that bad.

Rime

<Donor>
Playing on Medium on a 5 year old rig with a 2 year old video card... not a whole lot of problems, save that some textures load really, really, really slow. Briefly bumped it up to the highest setting, just to see how much I was missing and there was not a whole lot. The texture quality has issues on every setting, but the cutscenes are alright.

---

Also, while the Steam pop-up about downloading the game says it will require 40gigs space, it only ended up downloading 22gigs or so. Not sure if the Steam information is outdated and they trimmed it down before it went F2P or what.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I play it completely maxed out on a Phenom II X6 @4.1GHz and a Radeon 7850 2GB. FPS never drops below 30 except when there's an assload of people beating on a Harbinger during the current event. I've seen reviews complain about it but I don't have any texture streaming issues at all, ever.

The folder actually is 40GB though. Not really sure what takes up so much space, as the cutscenes aren't pre-rendered, voices alone can't account for all that, and the world doesn't really seem big enough to have *that* many textures.

The game has come a long way since the last time I played it (late beta). I still wish the combat had been inspired more by TERA than by AO and WoW, but it doesn't have the clunky 'disconnected' feel to it that it used to. The investigation missions are still the highlight of the game, but dungeons are fun and the challenge level is far above what most other MMOs are willing to put out these days.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So i bought it on Steam, since it's fairly cheap and i'm willing to give it another shot after the somewhat disappointing beta. I have a couple of questions though, since i'll be playing as a duo with a friend; should we go heal/tank, or heal/dps?

For info about builds, is the official forum the only/best source of information? Guess the community is not that big either way, so i figured it might be the only place to go to. And about the duo thing again, any recommendations on what builds would play each other off well? I just hope we can aoe the shit out of everything, i remember a kill x amount of a/b/c quest from the beta and it absolutely took me ages with shitty dps to do this; don't want it to be like that again.

Vorph

If you want to AE-fest everything just have both of you take blade as primary. Clearing the Path with whatever you like for applying afflictions and Arterial Pulse to do exponential damage on up to 5 targets makes everything a breeze. I can still easily kill the shit that is designed to fuck affliction builds; the only thing I wasn't able to handle was the rocket launcher mission because it's full of shitbag ranged enemies that constantly run out of melee range.

Secondary doesn't really matter. I'd probably say to have one of you take Chaos for tank stuff and the other take AR for leech healing. Most of the time it will just be there for another 5pt consumer anyway, but at least when you want to do a dungeon you've got blade/chaos ready to go and the other guy can switch to AR/Blood.

P.S. If you don't care about outfits, use your 1200 bonus points on buying a 1 week AP booster. I'd probably wait to use it until you hit Savage Coast at least, but getting double AP is a godsend when you're staring at a dozen skills you need spread all over the board. Also, spend almost all your SP on blade (damage) until you get it to 5, then run out to Blue Mountain and buy a QL6 blade with your first 50 sequins. Don't waste sequins in Kingsmouth or Savage Coast at all. After that do the same with your secondary.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, my most recently build is 5 years old as well, game runs slow to the point that it stops sometimes. Will have to upgrade before I can seriously play.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
Game is fun so far but as others have stated DPS just doesn't seem to scale with new abilities and better weapons. It's starting to get frustrating.....

Dps scales very slightly with new gear, it's mostly about your builds, and only getting a dps meter and then spending time trial and erroring at the combat dummies will get you good. Or just copy someone elses build.

Once you get to ql10, dps only increases about 100-200 as you go through the decimals. So at ql10 I was doing about 1500dps, ql10.1 I was doing about 1650 / 1700 ish. Last time I played I was around 10.3 on average and I was getting close to 2000 dps. Although it changes drastically based on your group. If you play with a bunch of former WoW fucktards (you can tell them a mile off because they are dumb fucks and have no personality), they have builds that only serve their own dps because they are too selfish and stupid to think about the group. So you'll find everyone does pretty mediocre dps. If you group with good people (rare), they will have passives that boost everyone in the group, and if you have a bunch of people in the group all doing this, I ended up with about 2600dps at one point. In other words, I got almost 1000 extra dps just purely based on who I was grouped with.

Tbh though, the grouping in the game is one of the weakest things. Getting in a bad group is fucking painful, because you are locked in. Once you have killed the first boss, (in NM mode) the instance is locked for the next 15 hours. So if you get in a shitty group full of idiots and you kill the first boss but barely, then you can end up failing 10 times on the second boss, then 10 times on the third boss, and then 2 hours later the group falls apart because people start rage quitting before you get the 4th boss down. It's horrible. You could just bail, but then you spent all that time and got very little out of it, and you are locked from that instance. And yet a good group is fantastic. I once did Polaris NM in about 14 minutes with a group that not only were great players, but fun to be with. But a group like that is one in a million unless you get in a really good guild or something.

p.s. At this point I still think people should just play different games for different things, because there are no games that are good at everything nowadays. If you want to solo, play some TSW. The missions are a lot of fun, exploring is great, and so is tinkering with your build. But if you want to group, log out and play Vanguard or Everquest instead. And for raiding, play SoD or whatever.

Vorph

You just need to have a bunch of different decks for different situations. The first few areas are loaded with AE pulls, especially 3-dots which will literally fall over to a single Bamboo Cutter+Clearing the Path combo once you have the two passives needed. Groups of normal mobs still die fastest that way, but you need a couple leech/HoT passives to survive better. Eventually you start running into more sparsely populated areas. For those I switch to something similar to what I use in dungeons: AR/SG with a hinder (Kneecapper) and Turn the Tables/Shot of Anima and Healing Sparks+Empowerment keeps me alive just fine against pretty much anything, and dps is still very high (read: it's not usually necessary to build to 5 before using my consumers to finish the mob off) on a single target. I also have a pure-AR leech deck for when I need to kill shit that I probably have no business messing with yet. My gear is just QL10 Mayan weapons that I got as early as possible--thanks ward exploit--along with QL10 blue talismans from elites.

I'd say the last time I felt like the game was dragging in terms of fights taking too damn long was end of Savage Coast/beginning of Blue Mountain. I think I put off using my AP boost for too long though. If you use it in Savage Coast you could probably make sure you never get behind the curve at all.

When your dps gets high enough, you can actually solo with a pure dps build. You can die easily if stuff gets on top of you, but once your dps is high enough you can kill anything within seconds. That's how I play in Transylvania, I just use my normal dps build from dungeons and tweak one or two abilities. For example I pull mobs with that AE snare ability so they crawl towards me slowly. Then I just pew pew the shit out of them and they are all dead before they reach me. Sometimes if I get a few mobs hitting me I just run in a circle and finish them off a few seconds later.

I also added the instant heal from the misc tree at the top. It's only a little one shot heal, but it's enough to save my bacon sometimes and if I get injured in a fight I sometimes just use it to quickly heal up to full so I can take on the next batch of enemies.

I used to have a really solid solo build that was godlike because it healed me as I attacked, so I could take on 10 mobs all at once and just AE them all to death while it keeps me healed. But the speed of a pure dps build seems better over all. I die on occasion but that doesn't matter, and it's made up by the ability to just kill everything that is in my way in a 5 second fight. I would spend more time perfecting this stuff but the gear manager doesn't work so it becomes too much of a chore for me swapping everything around only to get a group invite 5 minutes later. So now I just keep the same gear, same passives, and just drag one or two different actives.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
P.S. If you don't care about outfits, use your 1200 bonus points on buying a 1 week AP booster. I'd probably wait to use it until you hit Savage Coast at least, but getting double AP is a godsend when you're staring at a dozen skills you need spread all over the board. Also, spend almost all your SP on blade (damage) until you get it to 5, then run out to Blue Mountain and buy a QL6 blade with your first 50 sequins. Don't waste sequins in Kingsmouth or Savage Coast at all. After that do the same with your secondary.
Thanks for the recommendations, i made a new character real quick because i started with blood (thought i could pull of something like vanguards bloodmage, loved that class) but it seems it's mostly considered a secondary for fist healing. I chose blades this time around, guess it'll inevitably end up with me tanking and my buddy healing (he's picked up the AR).

But about these points, i don't have them. My store window says i got 0 points right now, i did get the other items though, like the weapons, the pet etc.