The Secret World

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Not sure if bored already or if claws is just terrible. I never die but shit seems to be taking forever to kill.
Hatorade, Fist and Chaos is actually one of the strongest single target dps builds you can run, but you need to be far up in the trees for it to work. Should be even better with the changes to the 30% damage increase debuff out of chaos. For solo PVE missions in Transylvania I run a Fist/Chaos build with a dab of healing thrown in. It seems to work best for me when running signet missions and farming signets in the lairs. I'll post a build tomorrow when I get home, need to go to bed, but fist is definitely worth getting. Oh, you can make a killer PVP build that will allow you to stunlock someone and push their shit in...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People starting up now, there's one thing you really need to know: save all your coins from Kingsmouth, and make a run all the way out to Blue Mountain trailer park for a QL6 weapon when you have 50 of them. You'll probably hit 50 coins right about the same time you have enough SP to raise your first weapon skill to 5 (this requires careful budgeting as well). Then collect 50 more coins and repeat the process for weapon #2. These will last you a *very* long time, and are much more powerful than the game expects you to have for Polaris, Inferno, Savage Coast questing, etc.

Not sure if bored already or if claws is just terrible. I never die but shit seems to be taking forever to kill.
Never die but stuff takes forever to kill = add more dps. You'll maybe lose some health when you get attacked but at least you'll actually be able to kill stuff. That's what this game is all about. The combat is dumb, the group content is dumb, the only thing of any real interest is the skill wheel. Learn it and get good with it, experiment with what works and what doesn't and try to figure out why, because besides the 'lore' and some good quests, that's pretty much the only interesting thing this game has to offer.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there more than one server? Still patching, if so, which one you guys play on?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Never die but stuff takes forever to kill = add more dps. You'll maybe lose some health when you get attacked but at least you'll actually be able to kill stuff. That's what this game is all about. The combat is dumb, the group content is dumb, the only thing of any real interest is the skill wheel. Learn it and get good with it, experiment with what works and what doesn't and try to figure out why, because besides the 'lore' and some good quests, that's pretty much the only interesting thing this game has to offer.
Add more dps!? BRILLIANT!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Add more dps!? BRILLIANT!
rrr_img_4590.jpg

rrr_img_4590.jpg

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Same issue. I can outlive pretty much any encounter around my skill (I'm in blue mountains now). Shit takes forever to kill, or it's boring. I'm redoing my build following some suggestions on here.

But for some reason I'm not motivated to play. In my mind if I'm wielding a shotgun I feel I should be blowing through shit in two or three hits... the whole whack-a-mole thing is killing me. Probably why I stuck with Ranger in AoC for so long.

I am in Blue Mountain atm., I went all AOE. My theory so far is to I grab 2-3 mobs at once and burn em down, makes the fights feel more 'actiony' The biggest trick for taking down mobs quickly is finding all the best passives that play off of your attacks and gear specifically for those. Took me a while to find AFF > PEN > WEAK stacking system that worked for me and I gear all + AR / HIT / PEN. The first few hits do shit damage, but the 2-3 buff counters start stacking and my +PEN / +WEAK goes threw the roof and I really start to finally dish it out. Ofc going strickly AoE means I have to be careful about not spanking a new add to tag into a fight, so far thats the only way I get killed, and can often Pot, AOE interrupt + heal out of a bad situation.

The earlier advice about dumping Tanky / HP gear for pure DPS stuff made a huge difference in the length of fights. That and getting 3-4 deep in a second tier box of a weapon makes the game more fun.

Same issue. I can outlive pretty much any encounter around my skill (I'm in blue mountains now). Shit takes forever to kill, or it's boring. I'm redoing my build following some suggestions on here.

But for some reason I'm not motivated to play. In my mind if I'm wielding a shotgun I feel I should be blowing through shit in two or three hits... the whole whack-a-mole thing is killing me. Probably why I stuck with Ranger in AoC for so long.
I use a shotgun and I can kill any none dungeon mob in about 5 seconds.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well you didn't figure it out yourself dumbass.
Hey now no need to name call, you were being captain obvious and I wasn't be completely clear. To be clear Dr. Retarded answered my question, claws are slow to start and do well single target in later tiers.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Never used claws for anything other than the Bloodsport passive, but if you do what I said above it might solve the slow start problem.

Alternatively, just use Fist as your secondary and switch over to something very powerful right out of the gate (i.e.Blades).

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Here you go, Fist / Chaos single target DPS build:http://www.tsw-builder.com/#35v30432...36325332421845

It's point heavy, especially because you need to max out the Misc DPS tree, but Do or Die is worth it. Couple of things you could change out, but it works for me for pve DPS situations...

Should be on most of the weekend, so if anyone wants to group up for the end of the world event, hit me up (Penetrator).

Hey now no need to name call, you were being captain obvious and I wasn't be completely clear. To be clear Dr. Retarded answered my question, claws are slow to start and do well single target in later tiers.
Well I wasn't being clear either but I don't respond too well to sarcasm especially when this forum is so hostile. To be clearer: Lots of stuff starts weak, not just claws. Blood Magic for example was pretty shitty for a while but eventually things turn around and you find yourself kicking ass with something that was previously a chore.

Also when I said, "Just add more dps", what I mean is that you don't really have all that many ways to shape your character, so there should be just one or two places you can tweak. There is gear, and in those 10 or so slots you need to achieve whatever you need out of your character. So if you are going to specialize in healing or dps or whatever for groups, then every one of those items should have stats (and glyphs) to suit that goal. For heal it would just be heal stuff and maybe some mitigation or whatever, and for DPS you want stuff like penetration, crit chance, maybe some hit or whatever, and attack rating is the most important for dps. For soloing though, it's often nice to have a mixture. So when I say add more dps, what I mean is to look at your stat distribution on that gear and maybe just replace one item. Maybe you will have one weak item that you are only using because it has a lot of HP on it. But if you remove that you might lose 500hp or something, but you might get an extra 200 attack rating or whatever. And then if you stick a penetration or crit glyph on it, it could make your character perform a lot better. You will maybe get taken down to half health during battles with a bunch of mobs, but if you can mow them all down in 10 seconds, then that's perfect.

The other way to tweak the character is with the hotbars and you only have several buttons on the left, and several passive ones on the right. The passive ones are very important and even changing just one of those can change how the character works. So if you are hard to kill but not doing enough damage, then look through them and work out what to replace. Again, it might only need to be just one. For example you might have a passive that builds up critical boost every time you crit. But maybe you only crit a few times in a fight? And maybe that passive boost only really becomes useful if it builds up to 5 very quickly. So remove that and put in something that gives an instant fixed 7.5% boost to all burst damage, or maybe something that gives an extra 10% to elemental damage or whatever it is you use.

In other words, being very survivable and not doing much damage is actually almost where you want to be. All you need to do is fine tune a little bit, and without looking at your exact build, the best way to achieve it is to get accustomed to the available passives and stuff and work out which ones to replace. As I said above, the game is brilliant at some stuff and weak in some places, but this tinkering with passives and actives is kind of a big part of the game. So any time you spend 'studying' it is never going to be a waste for this game.

p.s. And also don't worry about what weapons you use, because you aren't really tied in to anything. You might be using say fists and blade, but at almost any moment you might end up with a really powerful Assault Rifle either from a drop or from a greed roll in a dungeon or something. Suddenly you have a really good alternative weapon, and with only a few hours of questing you could buy enough stuff in that weapon tree to make good use of it. The game is very flexible like that.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
If you want a good "bursty" attack to use early on to kill fast get Bloodsport from fist and then Clear The Path from Blade. CTP is a aoe sword attack that auto penetrates if a target is afflicted. Bloodsport afflicts anything you attack. It does not require a lot of AP.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but stats from glyphs are far more important than hp/ar/hr.

Getting hit, pen, and crit up to 600 each (where sot cap generally is for all stats, and crit power sucks balls) will have a dramatic impact on your dps and you'll outdo all the tards who only care about their attack rating and have shit glyphs.

For tanking defense/block are generally the best with evade close behind. phys and magic prot are complete garbage.

For heals crit is all you need.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Here you go, Fist / Chaos single target DPS build:http://www.tsw-builder.com/#35v30432...36325332421845

It's point heavy, especially because you need to max out the Misc DPS tree, but Do or Die is worth it. Couple of things you could change out, but it works for me for pve DPS situations...

Should be on most of the weekend, so if anyone wants to group up for the end of the world event, hit me up (Penetrator).
That build is complete fail. You want escalation + intensity as your main builder. It's an aoe builder that, when paired with intensity, is the best builder in the game. Intensity makes it apply a debuff every time it hits for everything to take 3% more damage per stack for up to 10 stacks. Breakdown only applies it when you hit a mob which is impaired (stunned), which will not be the vast majority of the time.