The Secret World

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would really depend on what the tank builds are now Cae. Quite a few people here tanked when more played.

Comparing it to WoW its just as easy as a DK. Drop the TSW version of DND which is called Crimson Theater (think it was blades?) then you would spam builder and dump etc. Nothing really crazy or different back when I played.

@Kantern - Thats crazy it was only one and weak. This game still imo had some of the hardest and most fun dungeons Ive done in an MMO. I expected to hear the raid would be epic.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just bought this and it seems pretty awesome as B2P. Only put about 3-4 hours in.

I see some folks talking of "having" to re-roll. I guess I thought you could unlock everything here skill wise on a character and your wep choice determined your role.

Anyone care to give a few sentence synopsis on how tanking compares to say WoW?
The only reason you would want to make another character is for the other factions main story lines. No reason to reroll ever.

Scarhand

Trakanon Raider
About the only reason I'd consider rerolling at this point is because it's been so long since I've played that I don't really remember what I was doing

Peace_sl

shitlord
About the only reason I'd consider rerolling at this point is because it's been so long since I've played that I don't really remember what I was doing
You can always go back and re-do all the previous content, and continue to earn AP/SP from where you left off.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure, but then you have to stick your dick in the STD factory that is Origins. It's worth the extra couple of bucks to wait for Amazon if it prevents that.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Wow at the Tyler Freeborn questline. Hope the B2P and cash shop clothing stuff works out for this thing if that's the kind of stuff that they are wanting to release in mission packs.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Picked this up from Origin sale and have really enjoyed it, playing Arcadia (Templar) using blade/fist build someone linked to earlier.

Kobalt

Trakanon Raider
Between the meh combat and the terrible place called blue mountain my enjoyment of this game kind of got killed. I couldn't imagine being a dps late game. After a week of not playing I've decided to try healing.

I've been lvling as blade/ar but I've put a decent amount of pts into blood and fists just for passives. Problem is I only had enough sp for one more weapon to ql7 so I did blood. Is ar/blood good around egypt? Seems a lot more gear dependent than blood/fist. And anyone mind linking a build? Frustrating looking for one in this game because most places I find seem outdated.

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ar is quite powerful healing wise, i was able to heal np up untill ankh (then i stopped playing for a bit). Single target heal u just spamm the leech attack (cant recall the ability name but its either 1 insta shot or 3 bursts shot with 1 sec cast time, they both useful depending on the fight, and burst shot goes golden with hot spark fist passive). Aoe healing is kinda of a joke once u get mortar,veteran, platoon and the elite in blood that heal and shield everyone in the group (Cold blooded).

For a healing build check out dulfy website.. he has ar/blood, fist/blood and fist/pistol explained in details.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You need to find synergy between the 2 weapon types in order to DPS effectively. It's more about the type of hit than the weapon, for example a "Strike" build would be hammer / shotgun that both have a lot of "strike" attack types in their descriptions. You have to build your passives based on strike attacks. For example passives that boost strike attacks 12% or make strike attacks crit 20% harder. I haven't played in a while but I would recommend picking a weapon you really like as a main hand and then looking to see what compliments it for your off hand. I know AR used to be "burst" attacks and had really good synergy and high dps with pistol or shotgun.

Another thing is to make sure you're double dumping when you use your builder x3 or x5 or whatever the weapon cap is. You want to dump the finisher thats on GCD and immediately after the one that is off the GCD if its an option.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you want to be as efficient as possible about your AP spending, you can get by with 3 builds for solo and grouping:
1. Blade/AR - For soloing 90% of the time. Clearing the Path is by far the best AE attack in the game, and it's up there for single target as well.
2. AR leech - For the 10% which is made of extremely annoying mobs that won't stay in melee range, do very high damage (especially DoTs), etc.
3. AR/Shotgun - For grouping, because melee ranges from merely adequate to extreme liability in boss fights for anyone but the tank.

Then all you need are the usual bunch of passives that are spread all over the place, along with Do or Die for your dungeon build. If you want to heal or tank, you can pick up some blood or chaos abilities and use that with the AR and blade ones you already have.

Kobalt

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the help guys. Got conflicting reports on ar healing so was worried. Maybe I will run some people through polaris, worse thing ill just dps down the bosses if I fail heal.

Think I'm in a good spot solo wise though, yes clearing the path is too good.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Hows the raid? I managed to lose intrest two weeks before it hit and havent heard much about it.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I was thinking of getting Secret World of steam. How is it now it's f2p? Has it moved to p2w or is the cash shop decent? Do you need a subscription to not be crippled and gagged like SWTOR or is it actually playable?

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
All of the content/classes are available - it's a buy to play game. It's probably better now since the population is healthier since B2P. So far it's not pay to win, just xp boosts and some convenience stuff to go with the spiffy clothing.

I picked it up on the recent EA sale, it does not require Origins to play. It's well worth full box price for the amount of content/game play. I'd recommend anyone starting out research the game play to allow them to enjoy it from the get go; it's definitely different than your normal advancement ladder, but imo that's a good thing.

Anyone interested in running Polaris or Hell/whatever let me know, I need to get the hang of my role in a group, or figure out what decks/gear work best for each role (currently running blade/fist build through the Savage Coast).

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I played this for free weekend back in the day but it was during the time when I had lot of must play games that I didnt have time to play yet.

Im interested in giving it a go what server are you peeps running on or is just down to single server now

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
I'm on Arcadia, but server only matters for pvp, you can group with anyone for pve. There are multiple servers. Some people here have been playing far longer than I have and know far more - I'm just glad the thread got bumped and hope more people start playing - this game is really good, and I'd like to see it grow.