The Shield

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: The Shield

Genre: Action & Adventure, Crime, Drama

First aired: 2002-03-12

Creator: Shawn Ryan

Cast: Michael Chiklis, Walton Goggins, CCH Pounder, Jay Karnes, Catherine Dent, Kenny Johnson, Michael Jace, Benito Martinez, David Marciano, Cathy Cahlin Ryan, Paula Garcés

Overview: The story of an inner-city Los Angeles police precinct where some of the cops aren't above breaking the rules or working against their associates to both keep the streets safe and their self-interests intact.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Shield

Now available in 1080p Bluray.

Maybe not the best alltime TV cop show, but definitely worth watching this 2000 era brutal and multi layered crime drama series. Great acting and solid writing even though Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy) took the showrunner lead at some point and harm most character stories. You'll see he's better at playing a feet loving psychokiller than a competent showwriter !

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
pretty much everything i've seen with Walton Goggins in it has been worth a watch.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
3ab82e6406446b01cc99e9c2bc71c0ae.gif

• 1Worf

Szlia

I would say my biggest problem with the show is the first episode. I guess it was a pilot so it had to strike hard to make an impression, but then, through all seasons you compare the moral conundrums of the characters and the repercussions of their actions to the first episode and the more out of place it feels.

That being said, it's very often an amazing show, with insane climaxes late in the run where everything hits the fan and the characters have to juggles a police investigation, covering the tracks of their criminal deeds, escaping mobsters, committing additional criminal deeds and managing their in-fighting while running around. Very intense TV. Also, it has one of the best ending of any TV show ever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched the entire series on live tv, back before streaming or I even had a DVR service. Appointment fucking television.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Same. Haven't seen it since its live run.

Our whole college was up on it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This show was the start of modern television. This and Nip/Tuck were the first two series to put FX on the map as the station that will say anything except 'fuck' and nothing was out of bounds except actual intercourse. It felt like I was watching a movie every single episode.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

This show was the start of modern television.
That's a hot take when you consider The Sopranos and The West Wing started 3 years priors! And you have early '90s stuff like Twin Peaks or Homicide: Life on the Streets.

I guess the question to answer first though is... what is "modern television"? Heavy use of locations over sets? Single camera instead of multiple cameras? Increase in production value compared to previous television shows? Increase in storytelling quality compared to previous television shows? Season based plots more dominant than episode based plots? More daring themes compared to previous television shows? Something like that? If you score 4 out of 6 or higher you are part of modern television? :)

• 3Like
  • 2EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

Additional post for a side note: from my personal and hence very subjective history of television watching, I am tempted to say the first modern television show was Wiseguy (known to french tv viewers as Un flic dans la mafia - A Cop in the Mob!). Each new episode was the highlight of my week-end at my grandparents!

• 1EyeRoll

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That's a hot take when you consider The Sopranos and The West Wing started 3 years priors! And you have early '90s stuff like Twin Peaks or Homicide: Life on the Streets.

I guess the question to answer first though is... what is "modern television"? Heavy use of locations over sets? Single camera instead of multiple cameras? Increase in production value compared to previous television shows? Increase in storytelling quality compared to previous television shows? Season based plots more dominant than episode based plots? More daring themes compared to previous television shows? Something like that? If you score 4 out of 6 or higher you are part of modern television? :)

FX was the first cable network that didn't cost extra to go with the 'any word but the F word' rule. It had long story arcs and risqué topics that did not always end with the good guy on top. West Wing was a great show but it wasn't part of the new crop of modern; hell, nothing on ABC, NBC, or CBS could even be part of that to this very day. Try watching Blacklist or Chicago PD and tell me it is in the same category as any FX show since the Shield. It gave AMC the balls to do something as daring as Breaking Bad.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Shield:

wtf is an Armenian, and why do they have a train full of $$$?

• 2Like

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I have the DVD box set that I bought for my Dad back in the day for Christmas. I will definitely rewatch this in 1080p

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Season six was largely forgettable, but this show had some very high peaks and it actually had a powerful, meaningful ending. It was rough and unsettling in the best of ways. Shane's frantic end and Ronnie's raging as he was taken away are indelibly in my mind.

This was definitely the first show that opened my eyes to what TV could be.

• 2Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database