The Shield

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Had almost forgotten about this show. Definitely one of the first epic drama shows that really caught my interest beyond episodic stuff. Chiklis is a badass and I really feel his part in Fantastic Four irreparably tainted his hire-ability as an actor. Show was Sons of Anarchy levels of awesome before that was a thing, while ending 10x better. It actually got better as shit got more and more out of hand. Dunno if I could ever re-watch it, knowing how it turns out. I'll have to pull the torrent to see...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
This show is 10x better than SOA.

Season 5s finale with Lem is one if the best hours I've ever seen in media.

This show really put it all out there, time to rewatch!

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Shield was 10x better than SOA because Kurt Sutter was on a leash during the first seasons and Shawn Ryan overseered the final season. Fuck Sutter, fuck his retarded "hey guys let's retaliate" bullshit drama, fuck his soap opera characters, fuck his 3mins long mexican rock'n'roll covers music shots and fuck especially the Ireland episodes, Ireland characters would have been less comedy material if they were all dressed as Irish leprechauns.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
Shield season 1 was just amazing. Then as mention the one with Lem at the end. Vic was a great character who ended up with his friends dead and a desk job. I loved this show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let the Kavanaughs fight!
top-5-characters-john-kavanaugh.jpg

5bad8ad0210000e700c69c62.jpeg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Then what, in your opinion, was?

As already mentioned Twin Peaks, The Sopranos and especially 24, all preceded The Shield.

Twin Peaks was an early example of a Hollywood auteur moving to TV. The Sopranos was a mix of serial drama with standalone episodes. 24 was the first recent example of one narrative being told over an entire season and the first notable example of a Hollywood actor moving to TV.

All were better than The Shield - it had its moments but was mostly just fairly typical gangbanger fare, one week they're chasing Mexicans, the next it's Blacks, next more Mexicans

• 1Dislike
  • 1Pathetic

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd say Lost was the first show that was being rewritten as fans speculated daily (which is also why Lost is only good the first season). Basically ppl jumped on forums/msg boards after the show aired... now ppl live tweet shit.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of people would consider Twin Peaks as "the start of modern television" because it was very unique and artsy for television at the time, both Lynch and Frost had a lot of freedom regarding the show and while it has its ups and downs, it was definitely a genuine "film quality on TV" style experience uncommon in the 90s. On the other hand, while Twin Peaks was a laboratory for Frost, Lynch really didn't care about TV, he just wanted to do his stuff and not having to deal with producers, that's why as soon as they tried to twist his arm he left the show and that's mostly why season 2 feels disjointed and out of touch. Season 1 was "okay guys do your magic and let's see how it turns" and season 2 was a producers struggle.

What I would consider "debut of modern television" is definitely Oz in 1997. With Oz, Tom Fontana (which did Homicide : Life on the street at NBC, a cop drama where David Simon wrote) basically had carte blanche as a writer / creator and was probably the first "showrunner" as we know today, where directors / producers were at the backseat of creation. in 1997 Oz was utterly trangressive, dealt with a lot of stuff not seen on TV, had multiple story arcs on many episodes and had top notch acting and writing. Fontana had so much freedom he could write about prison brutality, rape, gangs, murder, suicide, loneliness etc no TV show would even touch in 1997.

Also let's not forget Oz paved the way for "HBO TV golden era" with The Sopranos and The Wire. During the early 2000, you'd also have The Shield of course, also Six Feet Under, 24 and a lot of other top notch TV shows, but The Sopranos / The Wire was at the time and maybe now the best product quality wise you can make with the "showrunner runs all" model Fontana pioneered with Oz (and it's funny to look back how at the time The Sopranos was heavily praised and got a lot of rewards while The Wire was mostly frowned upon). I'm not gonna say everything was about HBO before, AMC kind of replied to HBO years after with heavy hitters like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rubicon, etc. Also other networks did L O S T, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and the list goes on. HBO didn't sleep on its laurels either, they did both Rome, Deadwood or Boardwalk Empire.

Enough derail though, I think The Shield was a precursor in 2002 as a "cop drama where villains wear a badge". Of course you'd see crooked cops in any TV show around, but The Shield pilot was so shocking and engaging at the time, even for a "cop drama", that the viewer had to really think about the actions Mackey and his buddies did, rather than most "okay let me guess who's the perp" cop dramas at the time. I really despise Kurt Sutter taking the showrunner lead (Shawn Ryan left to create The Unit, what a waste) but The Shield has right now one of the most satisfying, concluding ending I could think of.

At the end it really shows how corrupt and wrong Mackey is as a human. He used his family, his job and his friends as reasons to do wrong for being right, but at the end he's just a plain villain, a self-centered, tourmented psychopathic figure with no redeeming qualities at all. He was the anti Jack Bauer, also a controversial main protagonist of another TV show during the time. What a ride the 2000 were TV wise, you could be in any random month at the time and watch The Wire, The Sopranos, 24, The Shield during the same week. Heh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Rewatched and it still holds incredibly well. So much better than SoA

"This is my seat. That's yours"

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Rewatched and it still holds incredibly well. So much better than SoA

"This is my seat. That's yours"
I'll do a Sopranos and The Shield rewatch once a year. Neither ever get old. Vic Mackie and Tony are the two best anti-heroes that have ever been written, cast, and acted.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Finally getting around to watching this, show feels like a different era for sure. So far it is holding up and doesn't feel old or whatever, it is weird watch a show pre woke bullshit.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
the shield had black men hit with firehoses 1960 civil rights style

even pre-woke it was considered extremely controversial to include that scene, but the point being that it was included. today that wouldn't get past censors.

Hosix

All labs matter!
But it had that kid rock song in season 1.

Plus didn’t it have a gay black cop? Julian or something?